Why do Symphony X's key changes and time changes not sound forced?

Well i can tell you this ....

DT are nothing but theives. I mean come on theres sections on EVERY ALBUM except for Images and Words and Awake that are a riff or dumpart, or keyboard line from some other bands songs. They have stolen from Metallica, Megadeth, Tool, Rush, kansas .... god the list goes on and on.....

Well, I can tell you this...

DT are nothing but theives. I mean, come on, there are sections on EVERY ALBUM except for Images and Words and Awake that include a riff, drum part, or keyboard line from some other bands' songs. They have stolen from Metallica, Megadeth, Tool, Rush, Kansas... God, the list goes on and on...

Fixed to the best of my abilities...

So, if Images and Words and Awake are not included in EVERY ALBUM, then it's not EVERY ALBUM, is it? And, if we want to get technical, we can say similar statements about EVERY ALBUM of EVERY BAND borrowing lines from others, implying music as a whole is nothing but a criminal activity.

:heh:

It is ! highly criminal... especially that rock and roll the children are listening too

Well, except that it's not actually criminal in any way. There are only so many combinations when you only have 12 notes to deal with, and in recognition of this, copyright law does not protect diminimus amounts of material, but only aggregate fruits of an author's creativity. In fact, all the material in the public domain is free to rip off without any criminal (or ethical) ramifications.

Most classical pieces are variations on folk melodies - we've all been ripping each other off for ages.

Everyone has riffs that sound like other people. Nothing new in music. Hell, listen to the intro to Tarot Woman by Rainbow and then listen to communion and the oracle. OMG SYMX COPIED RAINBOW ON A SMALL LICK!!!! AHHH!!!

: 25 second mark
: 49 second mark

edit: i'm a fucker, i forgot to add the links. they are there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend said it the best...

"Basically, Bach got fucked."

'cause that's where it all came from anyway.

At the risk of getting cyber-flogged, my sons are college age and think the sun rises and sets on DT, but the only CD I can even bear to listen to is Train of Thought, and then only once a year or so. It's the vocals; just can't get into the Broadway-show type voice on what is supposedly metal. Just me tho. On the other hand, back to topic, the answer the question succinctly, look up progressive metal in the dictionary and you see a picture of Symphony X. They are the kings, the gods, the gurus, the experts, the BOM, the gold standard, the benchmark. Even the first CD, which is pretty hard to listen to after Paradise Lost, shows their skill in the aforementioned smooth, almost transition-less changes. I have friend who's been in "the biz" for almost 50 years; this technical skill is the stuff of dreams. And the X is the best. I hope and pray with ever fiber of my being that they stop touring after the Europe shows in February, let Russ spend time with his newly-enlarged family, and get back in the studio. I hear they have a good bit of material left from working on Paradise Lost, so hopefully it won't be years before we see a shiny new disc in the stores. My music collection needs feeding, and not much else is worthy of spending my recession pennies.

At the risk of getting cyber-flogged, my sons are college age and think the sun rises and sets on DT, but the only CD I can even bear to listen to is Train of Thought, and then only once a year or so. It's the vocals; just can't get into the Broadway-show type voice on what is supposedly metal. Just me tho. On the other hand, back to topic, the answer the question succinctly, look up progressive metal in the dictionary and you see a picture of Symphony X. They are the kings, the gods, the gurus, the experts, the BOM, the gold standard, the benchmark. Even the first CD, which is pretty hard to listen to after Paradise Lost, shows their skill in the aforementioned smooth, almost transition-less changes. I have friend who's been in "the biz" for almost 50 years; this technical skill is the stuff of dreams. And the X is the best. I hope and pray with ever fiber of my being that they stop touring after the Europe shows in February, let Russ spend time with his newly-enlarged family, and get back in the studio. I hear they have a good bit of material left from working on Paradise Lost, so hopefully it won't be years before we see a shiny new disc in the stores. My music collection needs feeding, and not much else is worthy of spending my recession pennies.

Right on the money! ;) Kudos!!!

Often there's also a little transition or segment played by one of the instruments so the key or rhythm change sounds more logical.

And about DT(you always have to bring them into the convo lol), I would say Change Of Seasons flows just as well as DWOT even there's alot of different parts.

Symphony x can be empirically estimated by drawing a large circle, then measuring its diameter and circumference and dividing the circumference by the diameter. Another geometry-based approach, due to Archimedes,[17] is to calculate the perimeter, Pn , of a regular polygon with n sides circumscribed around a circle with diameter d.

And THAT is why...