The men of Symphony X

As far as Metal not making money, that is not necessarily true. Let's be specific...PROG metal does not make 'rockstar status' money, simply because it is a severe genre category that most average people don't get.

thank you for the progsnob quote of the afternoon. Let's be specific.. prog metal, black metal, death metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal... face it. Just about everything metal doesn't make money. Yes, there's been some breakthrough metalcore bands, but they're hardly metal (Killswitch Engage? please...)

so why is it ok for you to say "average people just don't get prog metal", but if i say Black metal is perfectly valid and people don't get it, i get told that it's gay and that i should go fuck myself? Man... some people's children.

Just step away from the keyboard.

The tour's "powers that be" had arranged a tent for the bands to do autographs in after their set; the sucky part was that you had to buy the cd(s) there from the cd store who sponsored the tent to get it/them autographed. Quite a scam (the band had nothing to do with planning it), but it provided a lot of people with a chance to talk to the band that they might not have had otherwise.

By 'after their set' do you mean like, right after they finish playing? That sucks, I was in the first rows of people on the floor. That means I would have had to give up my spot to see the band members of SymX and then have a shitty spot for Nevermore, DT and Megadave :mad: What a rip.

Not immediately afterwards. We had time to go back to the bus & let the guys catch their breath & have a smoke (for those of them who smoke) & wipe the sweat off and such..but it was relatively soon after their set.

Yep and was freaking amazing :D
Its a slight scam jax but not so bad. I would love to have untouched copies of all their cds on my wall in cases signed by them! its part of sponsoring them, the fans will do it, and it gives oppurtunity to the new fans to seee how cool the guys are. I remember reading somewhere us Montreal fans where pretty fucking loud compared to some of the other venues...just what i heard, maybe Jax can make the differ between rumour and truth!

thank you for the progsnob quote of the afternoon. so why is it ok for you to say "average people just don't get prog metal", but if i say Black metal is perfectly valid and people don't get it, i get told that it's gay and that i should go fuck myself? Man... some people's children. Just step away from the keyboard.

Obviously I have conjured emotion in you...I forget about boards like these where there is always that one guy that will turn a common fact into a negative and begin to sob. Yes, people consider Killswitch Engage metal the same way they consider Avenged Sevenfold metal and Tool metal and plenty of other bands that have had success.

Let's be specific.. prog metal, black metal, death metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal... face it. Just about everything metal doesn't make money. Yes, there's been some breakthrough metalcore bands, but they're hardly metal (Killswitch Engage? please...)

Go ahead, make a bigger list in an effort to make your point. "Pirate Metal, Viking Metal, Christmas Metal, Disney Metal"....Your missing MY point!!!!, And your calling me a PROGsnob?!? You probably say "they're hardly metal" in a tone of voice similar to Mr. Houl from Gilligan's Island. YOU don't consider these bands metal but they sure as hell are categorized as it. And do you KNOW that these bands don't make money? Let me restate my old point in a way better suited to people prone to wetting their panties...'sub-genres of metal don't make as much money' - meaning prog, black, death, power and whatever else you can come up with. Because were on a board about Symphony X it seemed as if 'prog metal' would have been the proper choice in my example when compared to a 'stock metal band'. But just because you don't consider anything besides that metal does not mean that it isn't, and your all smart enough to know that not all metal bands fall into that cookie cutter list.

Put YOUR keyboard in the microwave.

I love the improvised part in the middle of the second verse. So awesome!

Exactly what I'm talking about, when Rullo and Leopond go out of time with the rest of the band for 2 measures, unbelievable. Besides the fact that Leopond shreds all over this song (honestly, how many bass players truly shred?). It is so cool that they soup up their live show. I can still listen to the live album and hear new things that were not originally on the studio versions. Leopond and Rullo especially go the extra mile. Church of the Marchine is the best example of this, but even the pause at the beginning of Evolution, for example, just adds so much extra energy to the song. They really know what's up.

I doubt death metal is your cup of tea, but many death metal bassists do shread. It's pretty commonplace actually. Lepond does great yes, fantastic bassist and he comes up with great fills and so forth. Just saying... there's a lot out there.

I doubt death metal is your cup of tea, but many death metal bassists do shread. It's pretty commonplace actually. Lepond does great yes, fantastic bassist and he comes up with great fills and so forth. Just saying... there's a lot out there.

Actually, I'm a huge Necrophagist fan, and Stephen Finners does rip.

Few bass players can do what Leopond does though, he actually adds onto his already uber-hard riffs. He also plays harder than most bassists, so you can hear him with a great deal of clarity live. Listen to Fallen or Bird\Serpant War live, it's a great example of how complex his riffs are, yet how cleanly and powerfully he rips them.

Besides the fact that Leopond shreds all over this song (honestly, how many bass players truly shred?). Church of the Marchine is the best example of this, but even the pause at the beginning of Evolution, for example, just adds so much extra energy to the song.

Lepond's tone adds so much to the mix, with the high mids. His playing style reminds me of Steve Harris sometimes, when he plays chords (Lepond sounds like he's flicking them with the nail-side of his right hand fingers). And yes, he shreds.

I consider the whole second disc of the live album to "base-ically" (no pun intended) be a Lepond solo album! Especially TTLG and DWOT.

I love the pause they throw in the middle of the first verse of Evolution! It's so unexpected!

Lepond's tone adds so much to the mix, with the high mids. His playing style reminds me of Steve Harris sometimes, when he plays chords (Lepond sounds like he's flicking them with the nail-side of his right hand fingers). And yes, he shreds.

I consider the whole second disc of the live album to "base-ically" (no pun intended) be a Lepond solo album! Especially TTLG and DWOT.

I love the pause they throw in the middle of the first verse of Evolution! It's so unexpected!

Yeah, he definitely reminds me of Steve Harris. His rich tone totally completes Symphony X's live sound. The parts that he improvises are simply incredible, but I really wish that there was more live stuff online, or an instructional video.
Have you ever heard the song Frontiers? It has a bass solo, a drum solo, and a killer guitar solo (I think it was only released in Japan).