Why does Katatonia hate the U.S.?

Schmuckatelly

Jan 4, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
If Katatonia lives in Iraq then disregard the question. But on their website each of the band members say that their worst experience was the Miluakee Metal Fest in 2000. As far as I know that's the only time they've been to the U.S.

So what gives? I would love to see them play and I don't think it would be too difficult to hook up with Opeth the next time they do a U.S. tour. I was kidding when I said that Katatonia hates the U.S. but it seems like they really don't wish to play here. Opeth played their first U.S. show at the same festival in 2000 and when they came back in 2001 they had to share a tour with an American band for their first time around. But it didn't take long to get a good tour established in the states.

I know this question has probably been asked before but I've never posted here so I would'nt know. Does anyone have any answers?

Peaceville's activities abroad have always been very limited. Just look at MDB... sure, they once supported Iron Maiden with (a commercially successful) Like Gods of the Sun, but apart from that MFN seemed to have better capacities when it comes to promotion in the US (Opeth, Paradise Lost etc.).

the Miluakee metal fest was their worst experience because of the bad organisation...they hadn't their own instruments and had problems with sound, they couldn't hear each other while playing and so on, with the result that the gig can't be called one of their best performances...

They have played a single gig in the USA this summer and I'm sure they really would like to tour the States, but it's a question of money and Peaceville seems like is not willing to invest so much on a USA tour.
I hope for you American fans that Katatonia will be able to tour your country too...who knows maybe to that time I'll have money enough to afford a little holiday overseas :)

it's not that Katatonia hates the US, it's just that the Milwaukee Metalfest they played was horrible.

Although I can see political reasons to hate the US, I'm not sure that Katatonia, or most any other band would refuse to come to America based on politics. I mean, hell... I'm sure every Katatonia fan in America wants them to tour and I hope Katatonia wants to tour America, it's just that they're not as well known in America and that's where Peaceville is faltering.

Didn't Katatonia once support Opeth on an American Tour?

Yeah, I heard they had really bad sound and had to use other instruments.

If that happened to my band I wouldnt be able to play. A guitar is like underwear, you cant just jump around with someone elses and feel "right"... especially if you have underwear stuffed in your ears and you cant hear the rest of your band at the same time.

living_dead_squid said:
Yeah, I heard they had really bad sound and had to use other instruments.

If that happened to my band I wouldnt be able to play. A guitar is like underwear, you cant just jump around with someone elses and feel "right"... especially if you have underwear stuffed in your ears and you cant hear the rest of your band at the same time.
Yeah I was at the gig, the sound was really bad for most of the bands (opeth, katatonia and anathema) because they had to borrow others instruments plus the milwaukee fest is always unorganized. I think they had a better experience when they played cleveland, ohio recently.

I saw them in Montreal (Canada, for those who don't know.. their 3rd north american show!) this summer and it was the best fucking concert I've ever been to. I guess the sound could have been better... I can't remember but I think Jonas was either too quiet or too loud. But that's ok, it fuckin rocked!

When and where did Katatonia play a US show this summer? I saw someone mention Cleveland. Was that it? When was it? I don't remember even seeing it listed.

Anyway, Katatonia did support Opeth on a tour but Opeth continued their tour into North America and Katatonia dropped immediately. I always thought it looked strange for them to do that.

The American tours for Opeth have done great things for them here in the U.S. The first time I saw them in Charlotte, NC there were maybe 30 people at the show. That was in 2001 and then when I saw them again (I think it was last year or early 04) the place was packed out. This show was at the same place I saw the show in 2001.

They had done a U.S. tour in between the two but skipped Charlotte during that tour. When I saw them in 2001 I talked to Mike and Peter after the show and I promised them that there would be more people to show up next time. And sure enough it happened. So for only doing 3 tours in the U.S. and going from 30 people at one venue to 300 people the next time at the same venue speaks volumes about the positive effects that the tour can have. Peaveville just needs to take a chance and a perfect opportunity would have been with Opeth when they had the chance.

Schmuckatelly said:
When and where did Katatonia play a US show this summer? I saw someone mention Cleveland. Was that it? When was it? I don't remember even seeing it listed.

They headlined the Brave Words + Bloody knuckles festival this year in cleveland, this happened in summer (june maybe) then they went to canada and played a show there, it was on the official page and everything - don't feel too bad I missed it too due to economical issues :cry:

insidethefall said:
Schmuckatelly said:

They headlined the Brave Words + Bloody knuckles festival this year in cleveland, this happened in summer (june maybe)

The show was on June 4 at the Odeon club. It was an f-in good show. The guys were great. I keep failing to get motivated to post pics.

my dying groom said:
Peaceville's activities abroad have always been very limited. Just look at MDB... sure, they once supported Iron Maiden with (a commercially successful) Like Gods of the Sun, but apart from that MFN seemed to have better capacities when it comes to promotion in the US (Opeth, Paradise Lost etc.).

According to the band members of MDB the label has nothing to due with touring. Ok, if that is true who does? I do argue it's the label and it's frustrating that My Dying Bride can't tour here. The same for Katatonia and 50 other European bands I like.

A friend of mine works for Peaceville/Snapper, the only one officially doing U.S. distro. and their opinion is where I got my opinion. Peaceville isnt willing to get them here for a full tour because of the questionable income possibilities. There are so many things that people dont take into account like : How much money would it cost to get them and all their equipment here and pay for a bus, lighting, hotels, drivers, roadies, food, and the list could go on for awhile. To say the least it is far more expensive than any of us think to tour across the world.
Now this person I know has the bus, the lighting, the equipment, basically everything they would need for an incredibly successful tour. This person also holds a position in Peaceville/Snapper distrobution. This person told me in June that they could get them here for a tour for about 4000$.
I dont know why I just wrote all this but there are things that we must all be unaware of as reasoning behind no U.S. tour for Viva.
They are working on the new cd now so lets just hope that the next one will bring them to us. I also think we should be doing our parts if any of us are connected to let the word out- Katatonia will rule the U.S.-

ether said:
the Miluakee metal fest was their worst experience because of the bad organisation...they hadn't their own instruments and had problems with sound, they couldn't hear each other while playing and so on, with the result that the gig can't be called one of their best performances...

i thought something really bad happened
like someone died or something
(not an unusual thing in festivals, you know)