Why does Katatonia hate the U.S.?

Demilich said:
I saw them in Montreal (Canada, for those who don't know.. their 3rd north american show!) this summer and it was the best fucking concert I've ever been to. I guess the sound could have been better... I can't remember but I think Jonas was either too quiet or too loud. But that's ok, it fuckin rocked!

Haha, I downloaded that show too. Jonas sounds fine, if anything he'd be too loud, but that's not really a bad thing ;)

I really hope that Katatonia does come to the United States in the near future. I think it does have to do with money, and associations with bands in the US. Many American bands that tour frequently do not acknowledge or know Katatonia and their music. However, I believe that if they toured with Opeth and Anathema one more time, since their music is so similar (Although Katatonia is the best), they may be able to get more popularity in the states.

I love Katatonia, especially Viva Emptiness... They need to come to the United States!!!!!

Sorry to just walk on in this thread.. but I must say.. I saw Katatonia at both Milwaukee Metalfest 2000 and also BWBK Fest 20004 in Cleveland... I can see why they wouldn't want to come back to America. The first show they did.. at Milwaukee Metalfest.. the room where the stage was.. was crowded to the max.. I think most of the people were there for Opeth, which came on afterwards... I must say, the audience was ignorant.. you gotta know.. most of the bands at the fest are death and black metal.. so here comes Katatonia with clean vokills, not a favorite amongst people who strictly like those types. The crowd did A LOT of "booing" after every song and I think it made Jonas nervous.. I sure would have been discouraged if I were the one on stage getting booed. His voice did crack a lot of times.. but they didn't sound bad at all.. I remember they did a lot off "Tonights Decision".. Anyway.. I was surprised to see they were coming back.. 4 years later to Cleveland, Ohio. My husband and I drove all the way there.. mainly to see the other headliners. Katatonia played on the first night of the fest. It was pretty crowded in a not-so-big venue... Two bands that played before them were Doro, and Gravedigger... I think most of the crowd was there for them.. because they were going crazy. I even met some dudes who drove all the way up from Mexico to see those 2 bands! After those bands stopped.. the venue VERY emptied out. There was hardly anyone there. It was pretty sad.. I felt bad for Katatonia.. I'd say there were about 60 - 80 (maybe less even) to 100 people left.. which was nothing. I guess they just have bad luck. BWBK was pretty much a power/thrash metal festival, so the band didn't fit in yet again! I can see why they wouldn't want to ever come back. Both shows would have made me even more depressed if I were them. I think if they would ever come back.. they'd need to get on a tour with other bands that have their sound. That way the audience would accept them a lot better.

Katatonia WANTS to tour the States, it just has alot to do with the money. They would be happy to tour the states with another band. I know it is definately in their agenda for the future!!!!!

I dont care if I have to come up with the money myself. A friend of mine just inherited 3 1/2 MILLION dollars and I have mentioned that Katatonia would be a worthwhile venture. If Peaceville doesnt get an Office in the U.S. we might not see them again till after their contract is up. I dont care, Ill fly to them if I have to!!!!!

Anthony3 said:
Does this friend like Katatonia? Paying for a full US tour would be nothing with that kind of money.

He came with me in June when we met Anthony!!!! He digs it but he isnt a musical kind of person. He can take music or leave it, I dont get it but thats how he is.

I also know an 80's metal music promoter who is looking for work right now.
He has tons of hookups at HUGE VENUES- He used to do alot of Motley Crews tour shit. I know someone who has the tour busses, the equipment, lighting-BASICALLY EVERYTHING. If I knew a frame of time (probably when the new cd comes out) that they would be available and that Peaceville wasnt going to do anything here (U.S.) for the new CD I would definately be willing to do my best to make things happen. I might make a proposal if I could get things organized to the point of being ready to propose something. Time will tell.......