U.S. Tour with Opeth next year?

jptk said:
Depends on the Irish promtion company, which is just one guy now, and hes mainly into brutal death metal and dosnt really bother much with anything else.
Looks like well have to go across the water

who is this guy and where can i break his legs?

I think it would be good for katatonia to tour with opeth because a lot of opeth fans likes katatonia and they would have the chance to play in front of bigger crowds. Katatonia has the potential to get big (in the good way) and i would like to see them open for opeth. Maybe akerfeldt could come and sing an old song too. it would be great.

For Katatonia to be successful in the US, they would first need to come over as an opening band. If they did a headlining tour, it would fail. Let's be realistic. We all love them, but do you think them on their own would fill up the venues in your area? Probably not.

Secondly, Katatonia are a unique band that does NOT appeal to the close-minded metalhead or music fan in general. Therefore, I do feel that touring with bands that cross genres, such as Opeth or Lacuna Coil would be extremely beneficial.

A Stranger said:
*pukes at the mention of lacuna coil in the same context as either katatonia or opeth*

Why is that? I am not offended or anything. I am not the biggest Lacuna Coil fan myself, though I see them as being a decent fit.

I saw Lacuna Coil open for Opeth in the US once, and it seemed like a good fit, especially considering Opeth had just released "Damnation"

I guess my point was that Katatonia would probably not go over well on one of these death metal packages which seem popular these days in the states.

theres just something about lacuna coil that seems very cheesy. was never able to get into their music. saying that id puke at the sound of them is a bit of a stretch tho i suppose.

affinityband said:
I would personally love to see a tour with agalloch and katatonia together!

Agalloch really want to do a US tour with Katatonia. I taked with them about it this weekend. They are huge Katatonia fans.

aslo about Lacuna Coil, having Katatonia tour with Lacuna Coil would bring in a ton of new fans.

To the Irish lads...regarding a Katatonia show in Dublin. Have to say it is a little less likely these days. For 2 reasons....firstly, as you said..H is the sole Emerald guy right now ad he is pretty much only interested in death metal, but he does take on other things from time to time, like Fozzy last week.
Secondly, now that they have hooked up with The Agency Group for their bookings...mmm...well, let's just say that after several very successful shows that we booked through them (Opeth/Kat in 2001, Haunted, Opeth in 2003, Entombed in 2004) they seem to no longer regard Ireland as being viable...or maybe Emerald as being viable. I dunno
I'm the 'other half' of Emerald Promotions btw...I was the one who booked Katatonia for Dublin (1996, 2001, 2003). I woship the band...always have, but I have been living in Oslo for 2 years and aint coming back just yet. Needless to say that when I do (or, if I do) you'll see more diversity in what is booked...however, for the moment.........
It suxxxx, cos Katatonia are godz....but, who knows??????????

vavonia said:
To the Irish lads...regarding a Katatonia show in Dublin. Have to say it is a little less likely these days. For 2 reasons....firstly, as you said..H is the sole Emerald guy right now ad he is pretty much only interested in death metal, but he does take on other things from time to time, like Fozzy last week.
Secondly, now that they have hooked up with The Agency Group for their bookings...mmm...well, let's just say that after several very successful shows that we booked through them (Opeth/Kat in 2001, Haunted, Opeth in 2003, Entombed in 2004) they seem to no longer regard Ireland as being viable...or maybe Emerald as being viable. I dunno
I'm the 'other half' of Emerald Promotions btw...I was the one who booked Katatonia for Dublin (1996, 2001, 2003). I woship the band...always have, but I have been living in Oslo for 2 years and aint coming back just yet. Needless to say that when I do (or, if I do) you'll see more diversity in what is booked...however, for the moment.........
It suxxxx, cos Katatonia are godz....but, who knows??????????

ok... now im depressed... that sucks. very much so. looks like il be looking into flights to the Uk this year.

I would love for Katatonia to have their own headlining tour. However, I am not sure how likely that is. If they are not to headline this time around, and instead open for or co-headline with a band, it would be incredible for that band to be Opeth. Especially if Mike were to join them on stage...

Personally, I would love to see them tour together here in the U.S. I have never seen Katatonia although I love their music. Have they ever toured the U.S.? It would be a fun tour for both bands as they are such good friends. Opeth is getting an infusion of new fans from the new record and a strong promotional push ala RR so there is potential for solid ticket sales and exposure for Katatonia with:

1. Opeth/Katatonia fans who will sell out the show.
2. Opeth Fans that haven't seen or heard Katatonia yet (Yes, they do exist) who will attend and become new Katatonia fans.
3. New Opeth Fans who haven't even heard of Katatonia yet.

I'm having a hard time finding the downside.

My 2 cents.:devil: