Why don't people like classical music?

I don't actively listen to a lot of classical but I certainly enjoy it and respect it's artistic value.

I like it when metal bands add classical elements to their music (Emperor sort of has a Neo-Classical feel to a lot of their music).

I dislike the baggage attached to the words "populist culture," but I'll say that film scores still do sell relatively well.

It's materialism and media that have managed to dumb down the average person's tastes. Before the music industry, everyone had taste. Classical music was pop music.

I think it's because it requires slightly more concentration to listen to than pop music; it's a relatively challenging genre and that's something that not many people are willing to put effort into. Classical music is, to me at least, vastly more rewarding than pop music, but it isn't a sort of immediate thing - you get out of it what you put in, that sort of thing. It's hard to put into words.

Well since everyone in this thread up to this point has professed a love of classical and simply their interpretations of other's dislike for it, I'll be the first hand example.

I don't like classical. Why? When I hear most classical I can't help but think of cheesy movies like Star Wars that use such music as a score. It ruins the experience. The same with so-called "light classical" which just reminds me of old cartoons.

And now I'll exit before I'm flogged.

People don't like classical because its not catchy, you cant dance or sing along with it, and there's not very much of a classical scene.

I like a lot of baroque and late classical (19-21st century) music, I never found the classical period to be very interesting - a lack of interesting chord structures, progression, and harmonies. A lot of stuff I write is based off of classical peices.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Well since everyone in this thread up to this point has professed a love of classical and simply their interpretations of other's dislike for it, I'll be the first hand example.

I don't like classical. Why? When I hear most classical I can't help but think of cheesy movies like Star Wars that use such music as a score. It ruins the experience. The same with so-called "light classical" which just reminds me of old cartoons.

And now I'll exit before I'm flogged.

Ah, media bastardisation is a horrible thing. I wouldn't flog you for it, and I don't consider that mindset inalterable, as I saw virtually all classical music that way a few years back and now I love (some of) it. I recommend listening to darker, less-known pices from a similar perspective to how you look at metal, you may evolve to appreciate a lot more of it

First song I learned on the piano was Ludwig Van Beethovan's Für Elisa. That's about as far as I got. :D

I will listen to classical on public radio while driving. I can only take about 30 minutes of classical music and then it becomes slightly annoying.

I enjoy some modern composers like Danny Elfman (Sleepy Hallow soundtrack, etc). :worship:

I'm a classical violist in my private life, so appreciation for classical music comes with the territory. My favorite piece would have to be Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.

LDGuy said:
This pisses me off a lot, that most people can't seem to *get* classical music.

1) They lack the attention span/intelligence
2) They lack the moral character
3) They lack the experience

Could be any, or more than one, of the above.

Cythraul said:
Please enlighten all of us as to what you mean by that.

They lack moral character - the motivation to rise to an occasion. Instead, they prefer watered-down crap (Cannibal Corpse, Nirvana, Opeth, Ani DiFranco, Tool, 50 Cent, etc) because it's convenient and easy.

Gallantry over Docility said:
If that was solely the case, we'd be seeing waltzes and Irish jigs at the top of the charts. You're certainly touching on part of the truth though; most seek either a physical reaction to music or a simple, sentimental mental one. Both classical and underground metal tend not to focus on either.
yeah, Chopin and Burzum is the same thing. Seriously, metal is not pop but its way overrated in its 'artistic approach'

Classical is obviously a far greater artistic vehicle, I rarely see anyone counter this. The best classical makes mincemeat out of all metal. However, metal's purpose is more specifically congruent with my worldview, and more of it tends to resonate with me currently.

Metal is just more 'fun'. It's easier to follow the music when there are riffs and not actual progression. There are vocals and atmosphere which help you concentrate. Distortion and electric sounds, for those who are used to it, are more attractive than natural sounds. That is all, I think. Metal is more artistic than most popular music but it's still not a 'higher state of mind' or anything like that, in my opinion.

infoterror said:
They lack moral character - the motivation to rise to an occasion. Instead, they prefer watered-down crap (Cannibal Corpse, Nirvana, Opeth, Ani DiFranco, Tool, 50 Cent, etc) because it's convenient and easy.

This statement only holds water if your worldview maintains that "rising to an occasion" is moral. And that something as trivial as taste or appreciation of music is a valid ground for evaluating a person's moral character.

Mine most definitely doesn't, so that morality issue is a crock of shit. IMO.

kmik said:
Metal is more artistic than most popular music but it's still not a 'higher state of mind' or anything like that

That's fact, not opinion. Neither is classical music a 'higher state of mind.' It's just music. All we're discussing is difficulty to appreciate and sophistication. Nothing more.