Why don't people like classical music?

infoterror said:
They lack moral character - the motivation to rise to an occasion. Instead, they prefer watered-down crap (Cannibal Corpse, Nirvana, Opeth, Ani DiFranco, Tool, 50 Cent, etc) because it's convenient and easy.

Tool is hardly "convenient and easy" music to listen to, it has some actual depth to it, if many fail to realize this or not. However, the rest of the list fits the description well.

i do like classical music, but don't often listen to it though....i guess there's so many things going on at once when you listen to it, it's hard to grasp it all....

In that case, I recommend listening to some of the same pieces over and over again for a bit of time. You'll slowly start hearing more, bit by bit, and be able to get a better grasp on it. It simply takes time.

yeah i know =) .....i should have said that earlier. Same with metal sometimes...some albums you just have to listen over and over again to fully understand the music and appreciate it.

Classical music is quickly becoming my favorite genre of music, the range of expression is incomperable. However I would suggest several reasons that people do not get into classical music these days.

For one most classical is very complex in comparison to popular music. Not the type of music one grasp at first listen. I feel like most works take a solid dozen listenings before I really start to grasp them, as opposed to the five or six listens needed for more complex popular music, or the one or two for that of a more minimalistic nature.

Then of course there is the "bastardiaztion" of classical music through the media, and if you pledge to the school of "the artwork cannot be sperated from the print it leaves on society" and all that, then yeah- a lot of great music will be hard to appricate. Fortunatley prog and metal already raised my "cheese" tolerance to a very high level.

Third, and this is the one that really got me- and still makes listening to classical tough- is knowing which recording a given piece to get. I don't want to hand over $15 bucks for a medicore recording when better ones exist. Sure you can check out some stuff at the library, but far to much is inexcessable without buying it. Furthermore I have yet to find any good programs to download classical from- where you get more then just the piece's name, but the cunductor, symphony etc. If anyone knows of one, I'd be very happy to find out.

You can do that on Soulseek, however, it varies from user to user. Some have the conductor, orchestra, etc. listed and some don't so it's pretty hit and miss. There's also a (popular) classical music room that I started there with people in it that may be able to help. You can probably ask people about information on the recordings and get it. I can't make guarantees on how well it'll work though, of course.

I do NOT like classical music. I guess that makes me either stupid, inexperienced, or lacking in morals, according to Cythraul. I'll let you decide which is the case, as I suppose you can make arguments for any of the three.

I'm not denying the technical skill behind classical music, and I'll agree that classical musicianship owns that of most metal bands hands down. That said, I choose music based on what I can connect to and what resonates with my emotions at the time. For whatever reason, classical music rarely provides me with this resonance. For me, lyrics are an integral part of music, and classical music's lack of them may have something to do with my lack of appreciation for it. Without lyrics it's hard to convey anything beyond a very general sense of a particular emotion using music alone.

Infoterror--how is Opeth "convenient and easy" to listen to? Maybe I'm a screaming Opeth fangirl, but in my experience their music is complex and doesn't usually follow traditional structure, i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but songs that last from eight to 20+ minutes are going to require at least some attention span when one listens to them. And getting into them wasn't exactly convenient. I had to order a lot of their stuff online because a lot of their earlier releases were nowhere to be found in mainstream music stores...

I'm not going to bother with the Opeth part of the argument myself, however, I'd like to point out that some classical music DOES have lyrics. And opera does, too, of course. Check out some chorale works if you want lyrics, although you'll most likely need to find a web page with translations of the lyrics.

NeverIsForever said:
Infoterror--how is Opeth "convenient and easy" to listen to? Maybe I'm a screaming Opeth fangirl, but in my experience their music is complex and doesn't usually follow traditional structure, i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but songs that last from eight to 20+ minutes are going to require at least some attention span when one listens to them. And getting into them wasn't exactly convenient. I had to order a lot of their stuff online because a lot of their earlier releases were nowhere to be found in mainstream music stores...

He gets five tr00 points every time he puts Opeth down and one bonus point everytime someone gives an angry reply about how complex they actually are.

NeverIsForever said:
I do NOT like classical music. I guess that makes me either stupid, inexperienced, or lacking in morals, according to Cythraul.

No bitch! You're confusing me with that other dickhead, infoterror.

kmik said:
Seriously, metal is not pop but its way overrated in its 'artistic approach'

Depends on which metal, but for the most part, metal needs to clean up its act. Many of us for years have been advocating a total divorce from the pop mentality.

Cythraul said:
I think some people over-exaggerate the importance of metal.

Agreed...however, I like that metal is being defined, if not somewhat accepted, as a serious music discipline and that the care and feeding of enduring metal works is being given its light of day by at least some people.

It will always be more difficult to create an impressive metal album than a hardcore or progressive album. Or hip-hop. Or contemporary pop. And even some jazz. There is that "classical" sense of construction and all the rules and thoughts behind creating something "more." It is not easy to create a pop hit. It's not. However, as difficult as that may be, constructing a symphony is 1000 times more taxing a task. I liken metal to that.

What is simultaneously destroying any attempt to achieve any sort of progress with metal as a genre is the tendency of the more intellectual fans to subscribe to ideology. And elitism. Because of this I am grateful for the always trusty hordes of beer-guzzling fun-lovers and their brand of entertaining, yet wholly-powerful and enduring brand of fun metal that retains the spirit of difficulty and exploration and everything metal has been...without the added cerebral baggage.

In the end, it is all just music, as classical music is and has been all along. What separates metal is the fact that it, like other serious msuic, can also be art if it chooses.

"Entertainment" is for people with no internal mental life.

Re: Opeth - they're a pathetic ripoff of progressive bands, and in my view, do not attempt anything impressive. I am reasonably impressed by King Crimson, Camel, Yes and Jade Warrior, although I think Opeth have a slicker aesthetic.

You simply over exaggerate the importance and artistic value of metal. It's just metal. It's played by people who can't speak English properly. It's ignored by academics for a reason (hint: it has nothing to do with Judeo-Christianity). Repeating a crappy riff for 5 minutes with some screaming in the background =/= Beethoven.