Why is Asia not a great Metal continent ?

I think it's "cultural". I lived in the Middle East some time and the best band to come out of there was Nervecell, I knew a couple of the guys. The guys around that area, Qatar, Dubai... are basically the same as the middle class in the West, just easily wealthier. Access to all the bands in the world growing up through the internet, CD's, DVD's etc... loads of variety and diversity in terms of population/demographics and dynamics...and yet, they don't produce the quality metal bands. They seem to only be able to generate pale imitations of Western metal. Like it's not in their genes.

A regular kid in Dubai growing up surely does not have less exposure to the metal universe than a regular kid in Sweden, yet Sweden, a fairly small nation in Northern Europe, manages to produce quality metal bands by the dozens. The fact there's "a local scene" doesn't make that regular kid more creative or better at guitar or drums. And there's obviously a widespread metal scene in countries like Spain or Italy, yet they're not exactly overflowing with iconic bands in the metal realm.

Saying its "cultural" is kind of a truism, it begs the question what that entails. If you're saying it's innate in the culture, I don't agree because it ignores how history and economics have shaped the current culture.

Doha and Dubai are good examples because they are 'new cities', there wasn't much there until oil was found in the 60s and then they accelerated massively in their development. Doha's population was less than 100,000 even well into the 1970s. If you compare that to London, New York, San Fransisco etc they were going through a musical and cultural revolution at the same time. And that is a headstart that counts for a lot. An active music scene breeds more creativity. The next generation of kids develop an ear for music at an early age listening to their parents' records. So yes a 20 year old in Dubai might now have the same opportunities as a kid in Stockholm, but the cultural context is completely different.

Saying its "cultural" is kind of a truism, it begs the question what that entails. If you're saying it's innate in the culture, I don't agree because it ignores how history and economics have shaped the current culture.

Doha and Dubai are good examples because they are 'new cities', there wasn't much there until oil was found in the 60s and then they accelerated massively in their development. Doha's population was less than 100,000 even well into the 1970s. If you compare that to London, New York, San Fransisco etc they were going through a musical and cultural revolution at the same time. And that is a headstart that counts for a lot. An active music scene breeds more creativity. The next generation of kids develop an ear for music at an early age listening to their parents' records. So yes a 20 year old in Dubai might now have the same opportunities as a kid in Stockholm, but the cultural context is completely different.
But we're not talking about Qatar or Dubai in the 70's we're talking about Qatar/Dubai now, where the past couple of generations have had almost exactly the same kind of exposure to metal music. If a kid is going to be a creative metal guitarist he's going to be a creative metal guitarist, all he needs is a childhood where he's got access to metal music and a few friends around to direct him to the right bands, and a guitar. There's no good reason beyond that the kid shouldn't be good, and found a quality metal band later on.

The reason being it's "cultural" may be a truism or any ism you should wish, it's still the actual reason, and btw I mean it's cultural as in it's practically in the blood, in the genes. They're apparently 'not meant' to produce metal music in those areas, just like certain peoples are not meant to be especially athletic, or possess a rich cuisine, or have a renowned sense of humor. It's "cultural", but really it's beyond that.

Arabic music for e.g. as a whole has always been very limited compared to Western music. Yes they have the quarter tones etc but the music is rather redundant and formulaic and not nearly as rich as European music whether during classical times or modern. It isn't a cultural strength.

But we're not talking about Qatar or Dubai in the 70's we're talking about Qatar/Dubai now, where the past couple of generations have had almost exactly the same kind of exposure to metal music. If a kid is going to be a creative metal guitarist he's going to be a creative metal guitarist, all he needs is a childhood where he's got access to metal music and a few friends around to direct him to the right bands, and a guitar. There's no good reason beyond that the kid shouldn't be good, and found a quality metal band later on.

The reason being it's "cultural" may be a truism or any ism you should wish, it's still the actual reason, and btw I mean it's cultural as in it's practically in the blood, in the genes. They're apparently 'not meant' to produce metal music in those areas, just like certain peoples are not meant to be especially athletic, or possess a rich cuisine, or have a renowned sense of humor. It's "cultural", but really it's beyond that.

Arabic music for e.g. as a whole has always been very limited compared to Western music. Yes they have the quarter tones etc but the music is rather redundant and formulaic and not nearly as rich as European music whether during classical times or modern. It isn't a cultural strength.

9Cl9.gif