Why is everyone posting there mixes in the main page now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it doesn't belong here (although I've done it myself).
The reason for not posting it in the RMM section (at least my reason) is that it's a finalized and released product, so the creator of the thread is not looking for advice or anything but more for a chance to promote a cool band...

Still, it doesn't really belong in the main forum, what do you guys think about just having those FINALIZED/RELEASED projects in the off topic section instead?
that way they wouldn't clutter up the "advice needed" threads in the RMM

Are they really 'off-topic' threads though? They're definitely very 'on topic' as far as audio engineering discussion is concerned.

If one is to be consistent in categorizing these threads, then a new section for 'finished works' is the only logical answer.

Personally, I see no issue with them being in the main forum, but it's your call in the end.

Hey Guys.
This thread has been both interesting and alarming to read in equal measure and I'd like to give my take on it if I may.
I've been a reader and browser of this site since 2007 and a member since 2008, but up until now haven't been a regular poster or contributor so you don't know me.
I have been a musician and songwriter for twenty years, have a bachelor's degree in music and music technology and ran a studio in London between 2000 and 2003, producing dance music and incidental music for ads and film.
In 2003 I had some of my dance remixes played on national radio here in the UK. Before anyone suggests I post this in the Who's who thread - I'm just making the point I'm not a noob.
I love rock and metal and have been trying to write and successfully self-produce it since about 2006. Due to the music I used to work on and the content of my degree course I have no experience of micing a drum kit or amp and nowadays have no opportunity to learn these things (I have three kids and a desk job :(). In this sense this forum has been an invaluable source of information and learning.
I will shortly be posting mixes and stems for an EP of music that I've been trying to get done for the past three years - it's metal but different. At the end of 2008 I sent some rough demoes of it to Neil Kernon's Auslander site, via the UM forum. He was very positive about it - said it 'gave him goosebumps from start to finish', but circumstances conspired at the time to prevent me going any further with it.
At the moment I don't have access to full studio facilities so what I post will, inevitably, feature amp modellers and slate or superior drummer because those are the tools I have available to make music (not that that I won't consider reamping or paying a member of this forum to mix things once tracking is finished - although I would really like to do these things myself). Does this mean that my songs will/should be ignored or consigned to the brootz and tact scrapheap?
We all posted the other day to The Most Metal Man In The World (or whatever) thread saying how much this forum had helped us over the years. I don't believe that Andy's intent in doing this would have been so that the people who have advanced further/faster would then become an 'elite' group who ignore everyone else.
Sorry for the length of the post - I don't wish to tread on toes or speak out of turn, but would like to think that when I do start posting the stuff I've worked on for all this time that it's received in a spirit of interest, co-operation and respect.
Looking forward to getting to know you all better over the next few months :)

Are they really 'off-topic' threads though? They're definitely very 'on topic' as far as audio engineering discussion is concerned.

If one is to be consistent in categorizing these threads, then a new section for 'finished works' is the only logical answer.

yes, but we'd also need a "work/jobs" sub etc, and tbh I doubt Andy wants to pay for more sub forums.

Hey Guys.
This thread has been both interesting and alarming to read in equal measure and I'd like to give my take on it if I may.
I've been a reader and browser of this site since 2007 and a member since 2008, but up until now haven't been a regular poster or contributor so you don't know me.
I have been a musician and songwriter for twenty years, have a bachelor's degree in music and music technology and ran a studio in London between 2000 and 2003, producing dance music and incidental music for ads and film.
In 2003 I had some of my dance remixes played on national radio here in the UK. Before anyone suggests I post this in the Who's who thread - I'm just making the point I'm not a noob.
I love rock and metal and have been trying to write and successfully self-produce it since about 2006. Due to the music I used to work on and the content of my degree course I have no experience of micing a drum kit or amp and nowadays have no opportunity to learn these things (I have three kids and a desk job :(). In this sense this forum has been an invaluable source of information and learning.
I will shortly be posting mixes and stems for an EP of music that I've been trying to get done for the past three years - it's metal but different. At the end of 2008 I sent some rough demoes of it to Neil Kernon's Auslander site, via the UM forum. He was very positive about it - said it 'gave him goosebumps from start to finish', but circumstances conspired at the time to prevent me going any further with it.
At the moment I don't have access to full studio facilities so what I post will, inevitably, feature amp modellers and slate or superior drummer because those are the tools I have available to make music (not that that I won't consider reamping or paying a member of this forum to mix things once tracking is finished - although I would really like to do these things myself). Does this mean that my songs will/should be ignored or consigned to the brootz and tact scrapheap?
We all posted the other day to The Most Metal Man In The World (or whatever) thread saying how much this forum had helped us over the years. I don't believe that Andy's intent in doing this would have been so that the people who have advanced further/faster would then become an 'elite' group who ignore everyone else.
Sorry for the length of the post - I don't wish to tread on toes or speak out of turn, but would like to think that when I do start posting the stuff I've worked on for all this time that it's received in a spirit of interest, co-operation and respect.
Looking forward to getting to know you all better over the next few months :)

People are taking this wrong. There will be no special elite group, just a place to post finished work you want to promote or whatever. You would have every right to post your finished work there as well.

I still think it should just go to the rate my mix section. If your posting work to show off why can someone not rate it still? Maybe they don't like your guitar tone even though it's finished and your happy they can still give you input.

Simple easy fix.....All mixes finished or not go where they belong in the rate my mix section. If you want to promote your band or studio do it in off topic or something. Just seems the main page in not a place to advertise your studio/work or it will become a clusterfuck in no time.

I don't think it's something to do with elitism.
there is a difference between for example Ermz posting a promo video of a finished and released product (which is essentially a "check this band out, support them and buy their CD if you like them") and the regular posts in the RMM section which are "I'm mixing this band atm, any comments or tips?"....
That's the only reason why I didn't move Ermz' (for example) threads into the RMM section, NOT because his post is worth more than any other person's post.

I still think we should perhaps post those "finished works" in the OT section, A) because it'll keep people from starting to post all their mixes here and B)...it's not Andy's work or related to his work.
Posting Ermz' work (sorry I'm using you as an example here, lol) can more be compared to posting some cool new band that Bogren mixed or something....which belongs to the OT section also.

@BLOODROOT: I'm moving the "long timer posts" as well as the "noob posts" if they're in the wrong section of the forum, the difference is that with the regular posters I'm usually just moving them without commenting, cause they should KNOW where stuff belongs, the "noob posts" I move and comment on to tell them to post in the correct section, also do I usually leave a "redirect" when I'm moving a "noob post" so they'll be able to find their post in the correct section.
and because of that you'll of course see/notice more of the "noob posts" that are being moved than the "long timer posts", which might have been moved as well, but without the redirect link and a comment.

Now you might say "but there's a post that hasn't been moved"...true, but that's not because it's a "long timer post" but just because I've got a job and a life, I can't be moderating 24/7, some posts slip

I still think we should perhaps post those "finished works" in the OT section,

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your promoting a band or work it needs to be in the off topic section. James Murphy had it right. He would always post his recent finished mixes or albums that are coming out in the off topic section. I respected him for that and not thinking he should be posting on the main page cause its a label project or whatever.

you see favortism all the time. this guy is allowed to post anything and everything anywhere he pleases but if some noob does it, let the shitstorm begin. Same goes with asking questions. this forum has a lot of good stuff in it if you are content with only viewing what the cool kids have to say.if you ask a question be ready for the elitists to ridicule you to show their internet superiority. Its like blabbermouth.net for musicians. Everyones mixes suck. No one is worthy of calling theirself a musician. No music is good. Shame on you for liking that band. How dare you post your work or ask a question without looking for the right thread or searching for one from 2 years ago with your answer. lotta great stuff here and talented folks, just the elitist attitudes are too much sometimes.

In fairness tho the guys who are most giving in terms of info, and also most knowledgeable/experienced (Ermz, Ola, Lasse etc) don't tend to do this.

Also I do support the idea of a Finished Mix/Released Work sub-forum, which would be great for reference.

EDIT - First part @ Bloodroot (quote didn't work?)

ITT: If your post count is over 10,000 you can post mixes in the main forum, if not your mixes are derp and belong in the RMM forum along with the other mere mortals.

Grow up. Mixes in the mix section. If for some reason you think your mixes are so much better than everyone elses just because you have the confidence to declare it so, and you need extra special attention for that, keep your spam in the Off-Topic section please.

ITT: If your post count is over 10,000 you can post mixes in the main forum, if not your mixes are derp and belong in the RMM forum along with the other mere mortals.

Grow up. Mixes in the mix section. If for some reason you think your mixes are so much better than everyone elses just because you have the confidence to declare it so, and you need extra special attention for that, keep your spam in the Off-Topic section please.

Yes, ALL mixes that ANYONE want to have rated, reviewd, commented etc on should be in the RMM section.
Some of the posts the original post was referring to weren't about the mix really but more about the band (stuff like "band I've worked with has just released a video, check them out")..why would that be in the RMM section?

Correct is that every post that is about the MIX/PRODUCTION etc should of course be in the RMM section.
but as I said, many of the threads that the op referred to weren't about the mix or sound but about the band that has just released an album...and I don't see why "this band I've worked with has just released an album, here's a little video, if you like it go and buy it" should be in the "RMM" Section--->OT like all the other "check this band out" threads, too.

If your thread is about the MUSIC or the BAND over your mix then I'd say that should belong in off-topic with the other threads promoting miscellaneous bands. But that doesn't mean you should just move all your stuff over there for a higher view count.

My 10 cents

In fairness tho the guys who are most giving in terms of info, and also most knowledgeable/experienced (Ermz, Ola, Lasse etc) don't tend to do this.
(quote didn't work?)

I would agree. These 3 do not do this.

Sorry, you don't have a high enough post count so I didn't read it. :heh:
I been lurking mostly for 2 plus years. I have nothing to contribute. My recordings suck and my band is below average. All my software is paid for though. :kickass:

i'm w ermz on this.. i thought off topic is for "non music" or non audio production related stuff? "fun stuff, pictures of your dogs or girlfriends, etc."

doesn't make sense to post anything production related there. if you can't make a dedicated finished sub then i don't see the issue with keeping it in the main page.

doesn't make sense to post anything production related there. if you can't make a dedicated finished sub then i don't see the issue with keeping it in the main page.

but then we'd have to post the new in flames, attack attack, KSE, cinderella, Bon Jovi releases here as well....and I don't think those belong on the main page of the SNEAP forum

Status
Not open for further replies.