Why is Hellhammer (the drummer) held in such high esteem?

I'm familiair with most of his work, Mayhem, Arcturus, etc. while i do acknolwedge that he is a good drummer, I fail to see why seemingly so many people hold him to be some sort of drum god. Could anyone explain this to me? For reference, some of my favourite drummers are Flo Mournier, Pete Sandoval, Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, etc....

I like his work with Winds and Arcturus more than I like his stuff with Mayhem and The Kovenant. I think for me he sounds like more of a percussionist on those releases. It's probably his versatility and the fact that he's played on a lot of great albums. I don't think he's a god but I think he's very good at what he does.

His work on 'The Sham Mirrors' and 'The Reflection of The I' are my favourites. I don't rate him as highly as Sandoval, Inferno, Haake, Mounier and others, but i certainly think he's an excellent drummer who is worthy of praise.

He is very good, I think. He can play many different styles very well. Do I think he's on Flo's level? No, Flo can put every style into a 3 minute long song! :lol: But is Hellhammer one of the best drummers out there? I think so. But I hold other in higher regards. Especially Flo, my favorite. :D

Burzum IS Varg, right? yeah a one-man band can't be too good. Nick Barker does have a bit of stamina (World Misanthropy DVD - watch it), but you're right. I took out some live Mayhem & focused on HH's drumming and yea the dude can go for hours straight. hmm... I still think NB has better techniques and changes things up alot more. Hellhammer is kool

NocturnalSun said:
Burzum IS Varg, right? yeah a one-man band can't be too good. Nick Barker does have a bit of stamina (World Misanthropy DVD - watch it), but you're right. I took out some live Mayhem & focused on HH's drumming and yea the dude can go for hours straight. hmm... I still think NB has better techniques and changes things up alot more. Hellhammer is kool

You are obviously so fucking stupid it must hurt.

I was talking about a one-piece METAL band. Sry I forgot 2 put that in there because I thought you all knew what I meant since this is a METAL board about METAL music. A one-man metal band would be really hard to pull off. I haven't heard Burzum yet, but I bet it's not that good.

As already stated, you're so fucking stupid it must hurt. Listen to Burzum, Wyrd, Abyssic Hate, Graveland, Judas Iscariot and so on. As long as just one member writes the music, what fucking difference does it make if he plays all the instruments himself or has a horde of fags doing it for him?

I think Varg may have some serious sexual orientation issues- to kill a gay just because of his sexual orientation is psychologically damning to Vargs own sexually orientation- maybe trying to kill what he really is. I actually like early Burzum though- and I really could care less if he is gay or not- but god he deserves to spend his life in jail for such a stupid, prejudiced and immature act. He should be glad he isnt american- or in a third world jail-he sure the hell wouldnt be allowed to record music to send out- even on a casio.

speed said:
I think Varg may have some serious sexual orientation issues- to kill a gay just because of his sexual orientation is psychologically damning to Vargs own sexually orientation- maybe trying to kill what he really is. I actually like early Burzum though- and I really could care less if he is gay or not- but god he deserves to spend his life in jail for such a stupid, prejudiced and immature act. He should be glad he isnt american- or in a third world jail-he sure the hell wouldnt be allowed to record music to send out- even on a casio.
Varg wasn't the one who killed someone just out of homophobia... I think that was Faust or Samoth