Best metal drummers

I'm all about the Danny Carey, the Anders Nordin, the Martin Lopez, the Neil Peart.. I really like the soilwork drummer right now.

I don't know a lot about drumming, but I know what I like, what inspires me, what trips me out, what breaks me down, what sticks in my mind, what I tap my feet to on the subway, what moves my head and body and mind and soul..

Music is so much more than production and speed and technical ability.. whether you're beating a drumhead, slapping a bass string, or wailing a solo on the 22nd fret, if there's no emotion in it, it serves no purpose.

Duvall just pretty much summed up "approach", and Im assuming loves Phil Rudd.

Hearse, uhm... come on IRC or AIM me or some shit, for a better explanation of all those dudes.

J

My favorites of all styles include:

Vinnie Colaiuta
Dave Weckl
Virgil Donati
Steve Smith
Morgan Agren
Bobby Jarzombek
Sean Reinert
Dennis Chambers
Trilok Gurtu
Gene Hoglan
Derek Roddy
Elvin Jones
Tomas Haake
Ed Warby
Steve Smith
Daniel Erlandsson
Asgeir Mickelson
Tony Williams
Billy Cobham
Inferno
Dave Culross
Marco Minneman
Lenny White
Arttu Malki
Dave Lombardo
Steve Gadd
Mike Mangini
Evan Kilbourne
Per Moeller Jensen
Kevin Talley
Steve Shelton
Doc

Some others too......I guess...:)

I love hearing drummers with insane technical skills, as well as ones that can lay down a good groove. A combination of both is my preference though...lately I've been really liking Ed Warby's (ex-Gorefest) playing on Ayreon's "Into the Electric Castle", he's a very musical drummer, yet can whip out some very intricate grooves and fills when need be...and he never overplays.

Steve Gadd, that rings a big bell!! Who did he play for again???

BUT for style variation...

Bernard Purdie (Steely Dan and others)
Jeff Porcaro (I'm sure you all know it's TOTO)
Cosy Powell (metal drumming God R.I.P.)
Neil Peart (Rush LISTEN TO THE RHYTHM METHOD DAMN YOU..NOW!)

and whoever plays the drums on Stevie Wonder's Master Blaster!!! Damn that's good sounds! The drum intro KILLS MAN :)

VEIL:

Nice choices there! ;) All of them are definitely legends of the drums that's for sure...and "The Rhythm Method" is one of the reasons I took up drumming in the first place. I have the video for Show of Hands that I must have watched about 500 times now!

Steve Gadd is probably one of the most recorded drummers in history! I'm not familiar with a lot of what he's played on though, since there are literally hundreds of albums he's been on. I mainly know him from his work with jazz pianist Chick Corea, but I know he's also played with Paul Simon, Steely Dan, and several other more mainstream artists.

SHOW OF HANDS DUDE!!!!!

The BEST and there's no doubt. I also have RM on 'All the World's a Stage' another classic. I think that The Rhythm Method is actually the reason I decided that i WOULDN'T take up drumming!! :) I was too frightened after that!

I had no idea there was a video of that! Cool I'll hunt that down!

It's probably the Steely Dan stuff I know Steve Gadd from then, (I love 'em) but a friend of mine who's a jazz pianist played some Chick Corea to me, so I may have heard him there too!!

I'm off to find that video. Thanks for the tip!!!!

I can belive it!

Have the main of you forget that Nicke Andersson is GOD.

Another drummers I bet for:

Charlie Benante - anthrax
Max Cavalera - sepultura
dave lombardo - slayer
per mmm i don remember his surname - the haunted

and some more I can't remember just now.

For you that don't know Nick Andersson I recomend you specially the Clandestine and Wolverine Blues albums from Entombed ... really cool drumming !

I worship Nick!

Originally posted by Brutalizer

~ Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
~ Gene Hoglan (Death, Strapping Your Lad and more)
~ Janne Saarenpää (The Crown)
~ Richard Christy (Death, Iced Earth)
~ Kevin Talley (Dying Fetus, Misery Index)
~ Paul Mazurkiewicz (Cannibal Corpse)
~ Lee Harrison (Monstrosity)
~ Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)
~ Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
~ Sean Reinert (Cynic, Aghora)

That's the ultimate list

For you that don't know Nick Andersson I recomend you specially the Clandestine and Wolverine Blues albums from Entombed ... really cool drumming !

I agree, already stated him on my list. He´s now The Hellacopter´s (cool band) main vocalist and guitarist.:)

P.S. Clandestine: the best death metal album ever IMHO. Check it out.

all these replies and i didn't see a single mention of Pantera's own Vinnie Paul. I registered just to yell at you guys for forgetting him.

If you want some other good drummers, Check out John Tempesta on Testament's newest release, First Strike Still Deadly.

And this may get me flamed, but I have to say that Joey Joridison from Slipknot is a great drummer, even if he is the only member of the band that I like.

Thank you and good night.

Some of you guys HAVE to be fucking kidding me. Seriously... Vinnie Paul's good, does he rank up top with guys like Mickelson and Hoglan? Well, not just no, but fuck no...

And Jordison is a bad, bad joke.. that wasnt even remotely funny.

J