Best metal drummers

1) Trym (enslaved, emperor, zyklon)
2) the Drummer from abigor (those lucky and select few that have heard him know what im talking about)
3)Hellhammer (mayhem, arcturus, kovenant, etc.)
4) gene hoglan (death, SYL, Old Man's Child, etc.)
5) Jasska (children of bodom)
6) Pete Sandoval (morid angel, terrorizer)
7) Henry Ranta (Soilwork)
8) Daniel Erlandsson (early in flames, arch enemy, armageddon, eucharist)

Im sure im missing someone, lol...but thats the gist of it folks.

Well, some names haven't been mentioned in this thread yet!

My faves are

1. Friso van Wijck - Polluted inheritance
2. Tomas Haake - Meshuggah
3. Sean Reinert - Cynic
4. Alex Marquez - Terrorizer
5. Neil Peart - Rush
6. The Tool drummer

and there are a few more that i like, but you already mentioned them all

www.accb.de

Originally posted by svenske kocken

Not one of the best - but still a damn fine drummer.

I'll go with that..
Now that I come to think about it.. Blackened is something amazing about Lars :) Dyers Eve as well... not because of the "fast drumming", it's more than that.. and that's exactly what makes a fine drummer..
I didn't mention Lars because there are certainly 10 better drummers than him out there, but he was always one of my favourites.. and don't forget that it was the fuckin 80s! Don't compare him with Portnoy or whoever! It's like comparing Hendrix with Satriani and saying that Hendrix was an awful guitarist..

when ppl say Nick Barker why do they only say Dimmu and Cradle? coz his technique is much more suited to his other band "Lock Up" ... he would def be in my top 10 though

Nick Barker
Trym
Hellhammer
Adrian Erlandsson
whoever the fuck was the original Napalm Death drummer
Fenriz just coz he's fucking cool 'n' funny
Dave Lombardo

i can't choose anymore, its too hard.

I´ve already said that to my judgement it doesn´t matter if a drummer is super-skilled or not, or if he only uses 1/10 of his big drumkit (actually Lars uses his whole drumkit, but you have to open your eyes and actually see a whole show to see how he uses it - I saw Metallica live twice, and I was stunned at Lars´s drumming).

What makes a good drummer is his feel, the technique, of course, and the way he ENHANCES the music. With this I mean intelligent playing. Whoever says that Lars sucks at drumming is full of it and doesn´t have a clue, because we are dealing with facts - he CAN play. He is on my top ten drummers because I grew up listening to Metallica and I´m a drummer too. You may not like his style of playing, Metallica themselves or even his face - but he CAN play - just listen to Blackened, ...and Justice for All, The Shortest Straw or Dyers Eve.

I just have to reply to this thread!

In no order:

Trym (Emperor, Zyklon)
Nick Barker (Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth)
Hellhammer (MAYHEM!!!)
Rick Miah (the sound of My Dying Bride)
John Douglas (sad(?) drumming from Anathema)
Daniel Liljekvist (Katatonia)
Martin Lopez (Opeth)
Giuseppe Orlando (Novembre- incredible....)
Bard Eithun (Old School Emperor)
Me (in my old black metal high school days) (actually, I sucked, but I can't think of a great tenth!)

all you people and your lack of abigor knowledge is seriously bothering me...i suggest everyone checks them out...if for nothing else than just the amazing drumming in it, however, the vocals are incredible and the guitar work is very unique and original, yet melodic in an evil way...i recommend the albums: Opus IV and Nachthymnen.

Hey Lord Hypnos, i know Abigor and i like the old stuff a lot,what they do now is just disgusting.I have only got "Orkblut-the retaliation"album,which is damn good imo,but i ordered "Nachthymnen"and i am looking forward to it.
Talking of Abigor,what do you think of Summoning?

i agree...the newest abigor album was quite a dissapointment...and youll love nachthymnen...i also highly reccomend you get Opus IV. As for summoning, i love them, very orignal..for i am also a huge tolkien fan. their newest album was incredible...the best album of that sort of genre and their best album yet. if you havent heard it yet, i suggest you get that one as well...its called: Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

And here´s some good drummers from the 70´s and 80´s:

Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Les Binks (Judas Priest)
Scott Travis (Judas Priest)
Mikkey Dee (King Diamond, Motörhead)
Clive Burr (Iron Maiden)

You guys are disappointing me. You've picked some GREAT drummers, and then some shitty/questionable ones.

If you've never played drums before... dont argue over who's good or who's bad. I play fusion, and have been playing for 15 years... so.. I can say I know a thing or two about this shit.

Hellhammer is rediculously overrated. So is Sandoval.. all the "speed" guys. Try Johnny Raab if you want speed. Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio for wrist speed...

Danny Carey owns polyrhythmic circles. Lombardo has insane approach, as does The Haunter's Per Moller Jensen. Peter Wildoer has a killer combination of approach, speed, power...

Hoglan, Reinert, Mickelson, Jarzombek.. probably the best overall skills.

Christy and Flo are the future of drumming.

Lars' drumming on And Justice For All is all dubs and loops. He wasnt fast enough or good enough to play it then, and the recording was all dubs. Why do you think they never play Dyers Eve live? Lars cant. He was good in his heydey. GOOD, not great. If you want 80's drummers try Neil Peart, Steve Smith, Deen Castronovo, Scott Rockenfeld....

Scott Travis is overrated too.

Need I continue?

J