wich of the most anticipated albums have dissapointed you so far?

MadTinus said:
Ghost Reveries is an album that requires some more attention and time, I was a little disappointed too in the beginning, and only after a couple of months I started to get into it. It is an amazingly sophisticated album. The only somewhat weaker track is "The Grand Conjuration" i.m.o., it's a bit too repetitive, but then that song works great live.

It's also definitely one of their most varied albums, so 'boring' is a qualification that not even in the least can apply to this album.
Well, perhaps I was a bit too harsh by calling GR boring. I gave it a lot of attention though, but it still doesnt grab me like their other albums. I think my error lies within the fact that the album is too well thought out. The natural flow of previous albums is gone, and with that, the emotional impact it has on me.

DegradationTrip said:
Ghost Reveries. Its quite simply the most boring album they've made. Only 2 great songs on it.

Hehe...i think ghost reveries is a masterpiece, a bit more experimental, and even more progressive than the other albums.

Hypnos said:
Novembre's 'Materia' is pretty disappointing. mediocre songs + crappy clean vocals...

i'm dissapointed with materia, too.
but i wouldn't say "crappy", though..

i think it's a nice album, but i expected much more. i waited 5 years for it .. :erk:

Honestly... i havent been realy dissapointed this year so far.
GR took a while to get in to, but it is awesome...
And The accoustic verses have seriously grown to be one of my favourite albums of all time.. it is so beautiful..
TGCD.. well.. after VE i didnt know what to expect, ant TGCD is far better than VE, so i am pleased :)

Hobo said:
Honestly... i havent been realy dissapointed this year so far.
GR took a while to get in to, but it is awesome...
And The accoustic verses have seriously grown to be one of my favourite albums of all time.. it is so beautiful..
TGCD.. well.. after VE i didnt know what to expect, ant TGCD is far better than VE, so i am pleased :)
I think I agree with this except that you obviously haven't heard the new Dissection yet ;).

TGCD is only now really starting to creep up on me, I think it's because of the 'overkill' of Katatonia exposure I was subjected to during a weekend a few weeks ago :) It made the album finally click with me. And GR is an album that rewards listeners that take some time & effort to get into the album and don't immediately dismiss it after 3 listens.

The Acoustic Verses is really nice too and recently I'm also totally into Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dream" album again, due to its re-issue, what an awesome album, 12 absolutely brilliant tracks.

IMO, new Dissection is not that hilarious, but it's surely not what you expect from them... omg, in some parts it sounds like In Flames... but my vote goes for Ghost Reveries as well. I don't agree you need some time to really get into it, I have spent a lot of time trying, and every single time it sounded even shittier and shittier... I don't know what's happening with Opeth, but I definitely don't like it :(

The thing with "Ghost Reveries" is that it's so damn random. Most of the riffs and breaks don't even fit together in the first place, and many of the parts aren't even good to begin with. They've always had that problem in a sense, but at least the different parts used to be good.

insidethefall said:
New Saturnus is a great slab of atmospheric doom, kudos to a band who hasn't changed or strayed too far from the genre and has still stayed relatively interesting.
i'd never expect such good album after Kim Larsen left the band

Cerulean said:
Why does everyone mention Ghost Reveries, that's 2005.
I was gonna say that, but where in the thread title or opening post do you read that we're only allowed to mention albums from 2006? ;)

A new Opeth album is always highly anticipated.

BTW, it's a disgrace to call GR poo/shit or whatever, no matter if you like/enjoy it or not, anyone with ears can hear that it's some damn clever music being played there, just listen to the drums, Lopez totally outdid himself on GR, making it even more of a shame that he left.

I mean, come on..

Yeah but me calling something 'poo' is not to be taken so seriously ;)
I just mean I don't enjoy listening to it. I respect what they do!

I simply can't find the enjoyment in it I can find in the masterpiece called Morningrise.

Well, it's the same for me concerning "My Arms, Your Hearse", never did much for me and probably never will.. But what album can be good if it's released after the monument that is Morningrise ;) (at least we agree on something!).

Well, i still can't see anything wrong with opeth's latest albums, the riffs are more ''tight'', mike's vocals(both sung and growl) are even more potent, production is better...well, i don't know, but opeth still delivers fantastic music IMO.

I would say Come Clarity but my hopes weren't very high, especially after RTR. Besides that, I'd say their isn't an album that I've hated but I was a little disappointed in the new TOOL although it is still a solid album.

Albums of the year thus far -

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (actually better than I expected)
Devin Townsend - Synchestra (how could anyone be disappointed?)
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (the only weak track is ambient one at the end)
AFI - decemberunderground (I'll probably get shit for this but they're a good band, mainstream or not)

--

You will probably get shit but I must say that AFI is actually a very good band,very different from other bloodless punk bands...But sing the sorrow is better than the last one IMO...