Wierd copy of damnation?

Sinnical

New Metal Member
Apr 15, 2003
Mass, USA
www.freewebs.com
The official opeth website has the US release date for damnation set at April 22nd. Is this information still accurate, or did it come out earlier than expected and that information just hasnt been updated yet? I only ask because i purchased the CD in the US last weekend.

I was in the boston area and headed into a CD shop. Found a copy of damnation, which kinda surprised me, but since i was anticipating the CD i decided might as well buy it. The CD appeared to be used even tho it was in shrinkwrap. When i saw that the US release date wasn't until the 22nd on the site i thought it was probably the european release that somebody sold to the CD store. Then i noticed on the back of the case that the copy i bought was under the KOCH label, the US label for the CD.

So i guess the question is did i find a wierd copy or something? Or did it just get released early and i was unaware

It's not a CDR is it? Perhaps someone released it earlier than they were supposed to.

From the official site:
Release dates:
Australia
April 7th 2003 - Zomba
Europe April 14th 2003 - Music For Nations
USA April 22th 2003 - Koch
Japan May 7th 2003 - Zomba

Maybe the store preordered some from Austrailia and sold them regardless of when they were supposed to make them available.

*Flips CD around*

Actually, you'll find that Zomba Records handled Damnation for MFN out here in Oz, not Shock. *Is Shocked* ;)

the release dates are not the ultimate information on when you might expect a cd. I just got a damnation copy from The End even though the US date is April 22nd.

sf.(nyc)

Sfarog said:
the release dates are not the ultimate information on when you might expect a cd. I just got a damnation copy from The End even though the US date is April 22nd.

sf.(nyc)
That's because The End sells European CDs, mine showed up yesterday, on MFN. :)

Sinnical said:
The CD appeared to be used even tho it was in shrinkwrap.

Might be a promo copy, although they usually have text on the booklet indicating that, or a hole punched through the barcode. They get released early to certain stores and radio stations, so maybe that's what they were selling.