windir

Erik said:
I didn't like 1184 much, I traded it away (and I, in turn, got it from JayKeeley in a trade -- maybe it's actually my CD that you have J? Can't remember)

Yeah, I never remember liking 1184 but it might need a revisit.

More importantly, my official real deal omg copy of ARNTOR turned up yesterday from The End Records at the same time as that Raventale CD.

It's a complete blind buy, I haven't heard a single note from Arntor yet and I cannot wait, especially since I like their debut so much now. I hear it's even better.

You people are nuts (either that, or you like 1184). Arntor will appeal to folks who like 1184.

Now I've heard it all, the best Windir album is the debut. It's without doubt their "Dark Medieval Times" -- lots of pagan, mid-paced riffery, as opposed to blasting screams.

I've actually caught a second wind with Likferd too. Songs like "Fagning" are excellent, and you can hear the band on the verge of morphing into the almighty Vreid.

For me, the only Windir I need are the debut and the final.

I've been listening to Windir for fucking ever. Here are some straight off ace tracks off the top of my head that everyone should check out if they havent already

Heidra - 1184
Arntor, Ein Windir - Arntor
Sakned - Arntor
Fagning - Likferd

The melodies their guitarist came up with is unreal. Still need to check out Vreid.

And still nobody has said Sóknardalr?

Now I've heard it all, the best Windir album is the debut. It's without doubt their "Dark Medieval Times" -- lots of pagan, mid-paced riffery, as opposed to blasting screams.

I've actually caught a second wind with Likferd too. Songs like "Fagning" are excellent, and you can hear the band on the verge of morphing into the almighty Vreid.

For me, the only Windir I need are the debut and the final.

Who here likes Windir and has NOT heard Soknardalr?

"Det Som var Haukareid" (track #2) is a perfect example of this band and this genre. Probably one of the greatest Windir songs ever.

Highest recommendation! :kickass:

don't get me wrong, the debut is sick, but it's far more one-dimensional; Arntor has all that raw blackened viking energy with the addition of maturity and improved songwriting & structure

I will agree that the debut is less polished and more straightforward sounding - but that's what I love about it because that one dimensional sound is so incredibly well done. Sometimes less is more. I can throw it on at any given time and it's just so damn accessible & fun (yet without being too "jolly folk" for lack of a better term).

The follow up has some fantastic songs, but I find it a bit more of a chore to listen to from start to finish. Much like the new Moonsorrow, there are moments of brilliance, but you have to be in the right mood for it, whereas I can throw on Voimasta Ja Kunniasta at any time and have an absolute blast.

Arntor has all that raw blackened viking energy with the addition of maturity and improved songwriting & structure

I'd probably agree with all of that, but I still prefer the songs on the debut. :saint:

Also, I don't really like the "raw blackened" stuff. Windir are much more enjoyable in their 'epic' style of playing as displayed on the debut and Likferd with tracks like "Fagning" (the second greatest Windir track).