windir

If I made a "best of" compilation for every band I love, Windir's would probably be one of the very best. Having said that all of their individual albums have at least some filler on, so none would come anywhere near my top 10. But when they got it right, they produced some spectacular stuff.

BTW I like the new Moonsorrow, but not as much as I thought I would after the first couple of listens. I still think it's pretty great though.

the new moonsorrow started off as a chore and then degraded itself into a sleep-inducing agent :loco:

Verisakeet is about as far as they should go in terms of epic songs. I don't think they can top that when it comes to creating a "journey" through their landscapes. Otherwise they need to get back to Voimasta or at least Kivenkentaja in terms of song length and interest.

Here's the litmus test: when Moonsorrow release the next album, who's going to buy it blind? Who's going to buy it if it's one huge track. Who's going to buy it if it's 2 big songs again?

Exactly.

I don't mind a good 20-25 minute song, if the rest of the album is filled with shorter tunes to act as a complimentary side dish. The novelty of the last Moonsorrow wore off after 2 plays, hence I didn't bother to purchase.

Plus I'm an oompa for the RC negative hype machine.

come on, that's the best part of metal shirts! I almost bought an Entombed one the other day at their gig that said 'god is great... but satan is super!'

This band is great. I have listened to pieces of them here and there but never really a full album through and through. I bought Likferd off of Matthew #43563 and have been listening to it a lot since I got it and it's excellent. Am looking forward to getting more albums by them, they have the right combination of Black vs. edgy for me. And I don't mind their use of synths at all, at least not on Likferd.