Windows 10

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
Anyone gotten it yet?
I think I'll do something stupid and install it on my Internet PC now..
I skipped 8 and I've never tried it.. but since 10 is the "final" windows I thought I'd give it a go already..
I've already backed up the old install so I should be safe..

Not sure when I dare give it a go on my Music PC..

only when a game with direct x 12 that interests me comes out i'll be updating. i see no point in updating now, the new features are useless to me and i don't want to install all my programs again.

only when a game with direct x 12 that interests me comes out i'll be updating. i see no point in updating now, the new features are useless to me and i don't want to install all my programs again.

I'm not updating, I just downloaded their ISO and burnt it to a DVD, but some people say it keeps the programs intact (as it should) but some claim it doesn't..

They've said this is the final windows version and they'll only continue upgrading it.. I game on this PC, so I hope it'll work out with what I have..
DX 12 is supposed to be leagues better than 11..

just wanted to upgrade but now...

what is it exactly!? and please don't say internet explorer :lol:

It's just extremly hard to do anything.. :S
I've got the 64bit PRO version, I still can't find all the settings that I want..

I want to change to look of windows, titlebars, etc. but I just can't.
I want to add my drives to the startmenu, but I can't.
I installed "classic shell" which helps a lot, but it's still just really awkward trying to do anything as I would in XP or 7.

And there's things I don't want to see, but can't remove.

I really don't want to be a downer, but so far it's pretty shitty.
Programs start faster which is good, but their "less is more (but actually less)" approach to the UI is terrible..

It's just extremly hard to do anything.. :S
I've got the 64bit PRO version, I still can't find all the settings that I want..

I want to change to look of windows, titlebars, etc. but I just can't.
I want to add my drives to the startmenu, but I can't.
I installed "classic shell" which helps a lot, but it's still just really awkward trying to do anything as I would in XP or 7.

And there's things I don't want to see, but can't remove.

I really don't want to be a downer, but so far it's pretty shitty.
Programs start faster which is good, but their "less is more (but actually less)" approach to the UI is terrible..

The reason you're confused is because most of that stuff came with 8 and 8.1. Windows 10 is a pretty small leap from 8.1 actually.

Upgrade went well and put the iso on to a thumb drive. That booted fine so I know I can do a clean install when needed.

The only problem I've had is my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 wasn't initializing properly. Disabling/unchecking "fast startup" in the power options fixed that.

I'll be running through some projects tomorrow to make sure everything DAW related is stable.

1.jpg

~scott

I guess it's confusing going from 7 to 10, but I didn't want to skip out on the next upgrade (held on to XP for too long), and now they say that Windows 10 is their last version.
I'm guessing it's the last with new computer types that'll probably pop up by 2020, I dunno..

It's just frustrating being used to ex. adding stuff to the start menu, now I suddenly can't do that.
Or change or remove apps, I don't want to keep an Xbox app (luckily I found a fix for it).
And OneDrive, GrooveMusic, shit that you're not allowed to remove.. and Windows Defender that says I can't even turn off, but it says "You can turn this off temporarily, but if it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically."
Windows has become bloatware. :S

It's all a bit frustrating, I'm dealing with the updated version now, but I'll probably do the clean install when people have figured out how to customize it better.
Don't know if I'll ever install it on my PC dedicated to music because some stuff doesn't work now, and I want to turn off everything internet-related/anything that's not needed to give full attention to music processing.

I'm sure people are happy with it, it's just my opinion and I feel it doesn't suit what I need and I've always had before.

I guess it's confusing going from 7 to 10, but I didn't want to skip out on the next upgrade (held on to XP for too long), and now they say that Windows 10 is their last version.
I'm guessing it's the last with new computer types that'll probably pop up by 2020, I dunno..

It's just frustrating being used to ex. adding stuff to the start menu, now I suddenly can't do that.
Or change or remove apps, I don't want to keep an Xbox app (luckily I found a fix for it).
And OneDrive, GrooveMusic, shit that you're not allowed to remove.. and Windows Defender that says I can't even turn off, but it says "You can turn this off temporarily, but if it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically."
Windows has become bloatware. :S

It's all a bit frustrating, I'm dealing with the updated version now, but I'll probably do the clean install when people have figured out how to customize it better.
Don't know if I'll ever install it on my PC dedicated to music because some stuff doesn't work now, and I want to turn off everything internet-related/anything that's not needed to give full attention to music processing.

I'm sure people are happy with it, it's just my opinion and I feel it doesn't suit what I need and I've always had before.

It's last in the sense that it's now like OSX/iOS/Android/etc.... it will continue to get incrementally upgraded often.

You can change the default music and antivirus programs.

OneDrive is not quite as easy to disable, but it can also be disabled.

Really looking forward to this upgrade. The Steinberg news feed recommends waiting until they give it the all-clear for Cubase, so I'm hanging back, but so far it seems compatibility is mostly spot on.

It's faster. A big project in Photoshop (which starts faster) doesn't get slow, like Win 7, when doing stuff..

Of course I use VLC and other stuff, but the issue is that these "apps" can't be removed, it's just bloatware (and I installed the N version of 10)..

Aaaaand I've got a good back-up program so I've already backed up my Win 7 setup and can switch back to that very easy..
That's one reason why I'm not going for a VM setup.. but, you can't install Win 10 using your Win 7 product key..
You need to upgrade to 10 from 7, the 7 key then updates to a 10 key.. then I used Jelly Bean and extracted the key so I can use it for a clean install..
It would've been pointless to sit through a Win 7 install, then a 10 install.. when I could just upgrade straight away..

Like I said, it is faster, Photoshop was one example, but it's just really responsive overall..
My Music PC is Intel, and it starts really, really fast with 7.. it's better than my Internet PC, so I can expect it to be really fucking good with 10 (when I come around to it)..
My Internet PC is AMD with a supposedly faster CPU, AMD FX-8350 Black Edition (Music PC has a Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 GHz (Ivy Bridge)), but it's slow to start even though both have SSDs and Sata 6.0..
The Internet PC is also what I game on (ASUS Radeon HD7770 1024MB DirectCU V2), but I haven't tried anything resource heavy with Win 10..

I usually follow Black Viper's configurations for services and remove everything that's not needed..
The Music PC is never online so I don't need any security, internet, fax, telephone, etc.
I do the same with removing software I don't want, and with 10 it's just really hard to remove stuff and make it custom..
And like I said, I've at least run into one software that doesn't work in 10..

So I'm basically waiting for when people know how to streamline and customize Win 10 better, then I can install it on the Music PC..

There's something I'm curious about, on the non-music side... perhaps someone has a better idea.

I don't do much in Windows, so this is out of my ballpark, but family members who do the Steam thing have an issue with Windows Defender (Defenestrator? Whatever it's called, the thing that kills viruses by also killing performance but doesn't actually kill viruses all that well) choking up game downloads and updates. Spinny disk thrash and all that seems to be a thing. Has anyone seen a change there?

JB

From what I've read, Windows Defender certainly isn't perfect, but it's apparently regarded as the best Windows antivirus out there in terms of functionality vs. resource usage. But like any Windows product, sometimes you need to go in and tweak it to work with your particular system and applications.

also loooooool @ windows defenestrator :lol:

There's something I'm curious about, on the non-music side... perhaps someone has a better idea.

I don't do much in Windows, so this is out of my ballpark, but family members who do the Steam thing have an issue with Windows Defender (Defenestrator? Whatever it's called, the thing that kills viruses by also killing performance but doesn't actually kill viruses all that well) choking up game downloads and updates. Spinny disk thrash and all that seems to be a thing. Has anyone seen a change there?

JB

just disable them in services.msc
i have windows defender disabled for years now and hell i dont miss it a bit.
also got windows search, disk defragmenter and superfetch disabled which made my HDD busy all the time.