Windows 7 RC Beta open to public!

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
You can now download Windows 7 RC1 Beta. I was using the 7000 build since it was released to TechNet, and I love it. Any other geeks out there loving Windows Vista: Service Pack AWESOME as much as I am?

Hi! I'm a mac!

:lol:

I don't know... I hated Vista. XP was much better in my opinion. I will check the new Windows eventually, though I wouldn't trade the mac for another PC.

Have fun with it.

I'll stick with my (relatively) DRM-free WinXP.

That's cool. When you want to join the rest of us, we'll be over here, 10 years in the future. :lol:

Hi! I'm a mac!

:lol:

I don't know... I hated Vista. XP was much better in my opinion. I will check the new Windows eventually, though I wouldn't trade the mac for another PC.

I absolutely abhor the Apple OS. It's a fucking terrible design and interface. Hey, Apple, if I close a program, I don't want to continue to have it's info on my main access bar! Augh! Using it makes my blood boil.

I'd rather go Linux. :)

Why anyone would use Linux as a daily driver is mind boggling to me. I don't understand how anyone would have the patience to find things to work within the context of the real world. Frankly, I've always thought of Linux like volunteering for the Rack.

Why anyone would use Linux as a daily driver is mind boggling to me. I don't understand how anyone would have the patience to find things to work within the context of the real world. Frankly, I've always thought of Linux like volunteering for the Rack.

Ubuntu isn't that hard to learn. It's more Windoze-like than any other Linux distro. I work in a mixed Windoze-Unix environment at work, so you get used to using Unix. We have Solaris, Red Hat, Fedora and a few other flavors of Unix. It's all what you're used to, I guess. :lol:

I absolutely abhor the Apple OS. It's a fucking terrible design and interface. Hey, Apple, if I close a program, I don't want to continue to have it's info on my main access bar! Augh! Using it makes my blood boil.

Hate to break it to you, but if you click on the icon and drag it to the trash bucket, it disappears off that little "main access bar".

*walks away and shakes head*

I abhor Windows Vista. Bought a new computer with it on there. None of the programs that worked on XP would work on it. So I downgraded to XP and am a happy camper. Just because you are on the most recent version of anything does not mean its the best. I'd rather be 10 years behind the times and happy than current and miserable.

I've used W7 for a little bit. Even after only a few minutes of use I liked how much faster it was. I'll probably make the upgrade once it's released as I can't stand Vista on my laptop.

Oh how I love threads like this, where people with absolutely no knowledge start complaining about things. *insert obligatory completely uneducated and unfounded bash about Vista here*

That said, I've used Vista since day 1 and can't really complain. I haven't had time to experiment with 7 yet since I can't risk a beta OS on machines I use for work (and just don't have the time for dual booting to something else just to toy with it). I like what I have seen with 7 though, and look forward to installing it once the final release comes out.

Hate to break it to you, but if you click on the icon and drag it to the trash bucket, it disappears off that little "main access bar".

*walks away and shakes head*

Wait, so I have to drag a program to the equivalent of the windows recycle bin in order to close the program? I can't just click "program name" and then "exit?" .. the point I was making was that when you click the little red or yellow whatever it is, the program may 'minimize' or whatever apple calls it.. iHide?.. but it's still technically the focus window. How moronic is that?

edit: Oh, you thought I meant the dock. No, I didn't mean the dock. I can't really stand the dock either.

I abhor Windows Vista. Bought a new computer with it on there. None of the programs that worked on XP would work on it. So I downgraded to XP and am a happy camper. Just because you are on the most recent version of anything does not mean its the best. I'd rather be 10 years behind the times and happy than current and miserable.

I have never, EVER had a problem with a program in windows Vista that was written after 1997. I don't understand this, as I've never actually SEEN this happen. What programs, specifically, could you not get working?

BTW, Windows 7 has a Virtual XP mode. :p

I haven't had time to experiment with 7 yet since I can't risk a beta OS on machines I use for work (and just don't have the time for dual booting to something else just to toy with it). I like what I have seen with 7 though, and look forward to installing it once the final release comes out.

the 7000 build was, in my mind, done. That was several months ago. RC1 Beta is clean and sweet. I was using it on my work machine since the first public beta and I had absolutely no issue.

Oh how I love threads like this, where people with absolutely no knowledge start complaining about things. *insert obligatory completely uneducated and unfounded bash about Vista here*

That said, I've used Vista since day 1 and can't really complain. I haven't had time to experiment with 7 yet since I can't risk a beta OS on machines I use for work (and just don't have the time for dual booting to something else just to toy with it). I like what I have seen with 7 though, and look forward to installing it once the final release comes out.

Never assume that people have "absolutely no knowledge start complaining about things. *insert obligatory completely uneducated and unfounded bash about Vista here". I have been in the IT field for over 15 years. My personal opinion on Vista is "I do not care for it". It has nothing to do with my education or knowledge of it. Its crap and XP works better for me. The older games that I love DO NOT WORK WITH VISTA! So just drop it. Also the Fortune 500 company I work for uses XP primarily, we tried to roll out Vista but the lab couldn't get a lot of the bank programs to work on it.

So your complaint is that some legacy programs don't work with a new operating system. Yes, how dare Microsoft move forward! I can't run all my old DOS games...VISTA SUCKS! Last I checked, it's up to the software vendor to put out a version to support a new OS.

My comment wasn't even directed at you, it was a general statement for how every thread (here and elsewhere) goes when people start bitching and moaning about Microsoft. If you want to take offense that's your problem, but given your reply I guess I can understand why. My point is, most of the complaints I see about Vista are totally inaccurate. Many claimed it was an unstable OS for awhile...that is because vendors failed to provide quality drivers. Many claim that Vista puts DRM restrictions on everything and it locks you out of listening to music, playing movies, etc...I have been using it since day 1 and have yet to run into a restriction on what I can do.

Is it perfect? Not by any means. But it was a big (and overdue) step forward from XP, and suffered greatly from Apple's marketing campaign against it which convinced all the little sheep that it was another WinME.

Wait, so I have to drag a program to the equivalent of the windows recycle bin in order to close the program? I can't just click "program name" and then "exit?" .. the point I was making was that when you click the little red or yellow whatever it is, the program may 'minimize' or whatever apple calls it.. iHide?.. but it's still technically the focus window. How moronic is that?

edit: Oh, you thought I meant the dock. No, I didn't mean the dock. I can't really stand the dock either.

If you quit a program, it closes (which is the same as exit). If it's on the dock- for whatever reason- then you can remove it, if it's not on the dock it just goes away because you quit the program and moves on to the Finder or whatever the last program you used (that is still open). And no, you don't need to drag a program to the "recycling bin" to quit it, you either hit cmd+q or you go up to the program tab and scroll to quit, pretty simple.

So if we're not talking about the same thing, then WTF are you talking about? The only thing I'm really hearing, is you complaining because MacOS isn't Windows. Which is something pretty much everyone can tell you. I'm not going to fault you for liking your WinOSs, I didn't have a problem with Vista once the dumbass in my office quit using the company computer (outside of AT&Ts drivers constantly requiring a full system shut down to get them to reboot). And tell you, "ohhhhhhh you need to get a Mac." They're different systems with different design layouts. I just happen to prefer Mac, after the joke of a system I got from Dell with that piece of shit attempt MS took at trying to combine NT with their 05/08 OS (WinME).*

But as Greg said, if you're going to bitch, at least know what you're talking about.

*Edit: thanks to the reminder in the following- 95/98/00 not 05/08. No posting before coffee.

Hmm.....Mac did very little to put Microsoft in the marketing position they found themselves in with Vista, they just accentuated it. Microsoft set themselves up for that way back when they left behind a stable NT operating system (2000) and introducing an OS far before it was ready. Vista was/is a continuation of the same issue to some degree.

Sure, Vista was a better planned OS than ME, unfortunately it was like winning the war and having no rebuilding process in place, thus falling short in overall marketability as there were too many issues at time of transition where people were comfortable with an XP OS that had it's release finally stabilized. Renaming the new (updated) OS is also going to just add to the perception that Vista is/was an OS failure in public eyes despite the fact that 7 is no more of a change than 2000 was to NT. I would rather see the name being Vista 2010 or something like that. A new name brings perception of just another round of issues as opposed to a perceived improvement.

I am a reluctant XP user as I would still take NT/2000 over XP if I could, unfortunately I started having too many issues to maintain NT/2000 usage and upgraded 2-3 years ago with my last computer purchase. I have a Vista disc as it came with this computer....I have yet to see a real reason to upgrade to it at this point.

As for Mac.....I still do not see the advantage of changing to one once cost of hardware and software replacement is done (at least for what I want and need)......eventually they all do crap that drives you insane.....ran across my old business ledgers from the early 90's a while back while organizing.....ahhhhh.....paper, pencil, 10-key.

Never assume that people have "absolutely no knowledge start complaining about things. *insert obligatory completely uneducated and unfounded bash about Vista here". I have been in the IT field for over 15 years. My personal opinion on Vista is "I do not care for it". It has nothing to do with my education or knowledge of it. Its crap and XP works better for me. The older games that I love DO NOT WORK WITH VISTA! So just drop it. Also the Fortune 500 company I work for uses XP primarily, we tried to roll out Vista but the lab couldn't get a lot of the bank programs to work on it.

Not looking to start a flame war here, but am vaguely curious. I've been running Vista at home for 2 years. It's basically been great for me. The only serious issue I've had seemed like it was Vista's fault, but turned out to require a BIOS patch. I have 1 game (from 2005!) that I can't get to install, let alone run. I also had an expansion for Oblivion (which actually runs much better under Vista then it did under XP) that I had to manually unpack the .cab file and install it myself because the auto installer wouldn't run under Vista (and compatibility mode didn't help).

So, anyway, I had a long talk with my work IT guy about it last week. He's also a gamer and says he'd love to upgrade all of work's machines to Vista for security and access control. IIRC, the tests of all of the work software worked fine and the only stopping point was the bloat factor would prevent many of our computers from running it. He's really looking forward to 7's release and expects the company to jump on it soon after.

RonCK

Well, I don't think you were directing that at me either, but maybe I shouldn't have said "Vista sucks!" I had little experience with Vista and I just wasn't too into it. I simply liked XP better (and I'm not in IT or work with computers for a living or anything). I just wasn't a big fan. If you say it's a good OS, then I believe you more than most people in this forum because I know you know better.

If you quit a program, it closes (which is the same as exit).

Naturally, but if you minimize it, it retains focus, so you're not back at the "desktop" so to speak. You still have the menu bar for that program, even if another window is staring you right in the face. Also, the fact that it has all kinds of fucked up file types makes it the most aggravating thing in the world when you try to incorporate it into the working world, and being that I am running the Dean's Office for the largest College on a massive State Run University, I run into this more times than you can imagine. There are several things I DO like about OSX, not the least of which is program installs, and lack of a registry. However, the UI leaves a lot to be desired in most cases.

The only thing I'm really hearing, is you complaining because MacOS isn't Windows. Which is something pretty much everyone can tell you.

That's a big part of it, really. It's not really designed for the tech savvy, it's designed for people who don't want to do or think about anything but play(ing) multimedia files.

I just happen to prefer Mac, after the joke of a system I got from Dell with that piece of shit attempt MS took at trying to combine NT with their 05/08 OS (WinME).*

WinME had a shelf life of 6 months. To be fair, it was MS's first attempt at a GUI that didn't run on top of DOS. Yes, it was fucking terrible, but at least they admitted it, and now deny it ever existed.

My personal opinion on Vista is "I do not care for it". It has nothing to do with my education or knowledge of it. Its crap and XP works better for me. The older games that I love DO NOT WORK WITH VISTA!

This is not a valid gripe with the Operating System. This is about your old game vendors not patching for the future. I love Red Alert. It doesn't play over anything but IPX. Vista and XP don't include IPX. WINXP MUST SUCK. Rolling it out in a business enviroment that relies on programs that were written 20 years ago is also not a fair gripe. Maybe it's time they obtained more efficient programs. But I agree with shaq. I see so many people cringe when I mention vista that it's mind boggling. When I ask why, they say "Well I heard it's really terrible." But they can never tell me why.

Hmm.....Mac did very little to put Microsoft in the marketing position they found themselves in with Vista, they just accentuated it. Microsoft set themselves up for that way back when they left behind a stable NT operating system (2000) and introducing an OS far before it was ready. Vista was/is a continuation of the same issue to some degree.

You're right. Vista's launch was a disaster. Out of the box for normal users, the OS was pretty bad. The requirements to run it effectively were too high, and the UAC was really terrible. However, Apple kept hyping that it was a resource hog, even though shortly after its release, the computer market caught up to it (this shouldn't have to happen, but lets face it, it did.) and everyone continued to believe it. It's a shame, really.

Renaming the new (updated) OS is also going to just add to the perception that Vista is/was an OS failure in public eyes despite the fact that 7 is no more of a change than 2000 was to NT. I would rather see the name being Vista 2010 or something like that. A new name brings perception of just another round of issues as opposed to a perceived improvement.

What, really? You'd want to try and sell a new product branded on a stigmatized and failed release? "Buy new lead paint! Now without lead!" Windows 7 is Vista at its core (and GUI), but no one who uses it is going to know that. It's been completely overhauled in the intracite workings, and is extremely efficient in nearly everything. It's a well oiled machine, everything Vista should have been is now branded Windows 7. I really think people are going to embrace this. I will be rolling it out at work for testing when it's released, and as new computers are obtained, everyone will be using it.

Running Vista on my laptop. ZERO issues. I've had to have the lcd replaced 3 times, but that's Dell's fault, not Vista's :)

Running XP on my old warhorse desktop here at home. I'll make the jump when I replace this one, maybe next year, when 7 starts being packaged with new PCs.

If I had a box that would support 7, I'd give RC1 a whirl, I'm not "skayered"!
I've been in the IT field for 25+ years, and it pays to have some knowledge & hands on experience with some of the newer stuff coming out.
:)

Naturally, but if you minimize it, it retains focus, so you're not back at the "desktop" so to speak. You still have the menu bar for that program, even if another window is staring you right in the face. Also, the fact that it has all kinds of fucked up file types makes it the most aggravating thing in the world when you try to incorporate it into the working world, and being that I am running the Dean's Office for the largest College on a massive State Run University, I run into this more times than you can imagine. There are several things I DO like about OSX, not the least of which is program installs, and lack of a registry. However, the UI leaves a lot to be desired in most cases.

It's really that hard to click on the window or cmd+tab to the window you want, or press the spaces key to get to the next window? WTF?

As for usefulness, it's pretty specific. I'm in the process of negotiating my entire office to run on Mac. Most University systems run some form of Unix and they tend to go with programs that work within that structure. I have no clue what you do, specifically, but I'm quite sure they've developed or use a developed program that works through a Windows box. Having worked in the tech lab, windows boxes are easier to trade out hardware and whatnot, so they have their uses when it comes to keeping costs low and just rebuilding a system vs buying a new one. In the end, it all comes down to what you are doing and what resources you have available to you.

That's a big part of it, really. It's not really designed for the tech savvy, it's designed for people who don't want to do or think about anything but play(ing) multimedia files.

Um, have to call bullshit. Granted, this is from my business perspective and the fact that I have easy access to folks who can write custom programs that I need to run on my systems. The current Mac was created as a creative workstation, hence why half the programs that Apple comes out with deal with imaging, amateur music editing or some other similar need. They weren't created to be the barebones work station that does only what you need it to do. That said, with the ability to run a Windows shell, that claim also goes out the window (no pun intended). Though, I will say, about the only thing I do like about Windows, is their office suite, for the purpose of Excell only. If the new iWork spreadsheet program allows me the multiple sheet window that Excell does, I'm set.

WinME had a shelf life of 6 months. To be fair, it was MS's first attempt at a GUI that didn't run on top of DOS. Yes, it was fucking terrible, but at least they admitted it, and now deny it ever existed.

Which was the other thing that pissed me off. $400 to shell out for an OS that worked, because MS decided to quit supporting it. Funny thing, and this is why I hate Dell now...took the tower in to have it rebuilt, not only do they not make the memory cards for that particular tower, but Dell couldn't bother with outfitting it with the basic amount of memory to run the damned OS (and I had them put the maximum amount of memory on that system). Go figure.

That said, both systems have their uses and people who like them. I just happen to prefer Macs on the basis that the MS outlets (Gateway, Dell, and the computer list goes on and on) suck in the design of their computers. I'd love to build one, but unfortunately some version of Linux would go on it. :)