Windows 7

What frustrates me is that we've had 64 bit and multi-core technology for years now, yet how many applications can take advantage of that or worse still are even compatible with them. :ill:

Once all the DAW hosts move over to 64bit, the plugin manufacturers will follow. Currently you've got two choices; Cubase and Sonar.

Win 7 runs a charm for me... Been using it since December for Audio Production
What software are you running dude?

I'm probably gonna buy another hard drive next pay and have a fluff around with an install. My current XP install is starting to get a little rank anyway..

What software are you running dude?

I'm probably gonna buy another hard drive next pay and have a fluff around with an install. My current XP install is starting to get a little rank anyway..

Toneport UX2 (I get occasional BSOD if i run AV in firefox... but that's an l6 problem, not win).

Sonar 8 Producer (32 bit)

Voxengo/Kjaerhus stuff

I'm triple booting at the moment...

Two linux OS and Win 7... Win 7 is audio production only and runs a beast

To play devils advocate potentially, what dont you like about XP/you really hate?

Humm there's not so much I don't like. I don't like beeing stuck on 32 bits and its 3.25 gB of RAM. But otherwize, I just finally got used to vista a little, and when I come back to XP to mix, some simple but cool reactions make it less cool to live with. I mean, it's mainly about ergonomy, but I really think it is important. There is nothing that I don't like in XP, but surely many things that will be cool in 7.

And I believe it will be. If already the RC is stable and fully fonctionnal, about drivers (it comes with a shell close to vista ones so most of apps, drivers are already supposed to work and it seems it does), it will be worth to work on quickly. With the SP coming, it will be a strong OS for us.

Im dl the 64bit version, to see how it comes on my core2duo laptop.

Ok guys I have 7 64bits installed on my laptop. I run Reaper beta 3, with all my freebies plugins, and I've installed on it my Slate's SSD3.0 LE.

7 RC1 works great, I can even say better than vista, smoother, it's cleaner, it's starting to get as light as other OS. I mean, it's heavy to install (it's quick, though), it uses 600 mo of Ram at first (it will descend with the time cause like vista it selects what you always use and what you don't so it loads only the useful things), but it works fast. I think it's nice, visually, and you can tweak it a little.

7 seems also cleaner, it's not bundled with crappy stuff, but I can't say it will for the official release, it's still the RC. But there had no norton for example. The system files seem cleaner too, I don't know if it's really but that's what I was thinking when I was spending time in the deepest folders.

I still had no crash, even a minor one, nothing more than needing to wait for a few seconds when it is heavily loading and freezes the window. It loads quite fast, and leaves fast too, a bit faster than vista.

For audio it seems it will work well. Most drivers are natively installed, you just have to add yours as usual. I myself only had to install the video card driver. Reaper works like a charm, at least. Can't say for other stuff but if it works on Vista, it works on 7 (for most things). I had a few incompatibilities, but it was about the 64 bits against 32 bits.

I'm hoping this will definitely be my next OS for serious production.

Windows 7 refuses to work with my SSL Duende card :cry::cry::cry:

When the card is installed, the system will freeze at the login screen :cry::cry:

*EDIT: Started working after the 10'th reboot, didn't do anything, wierd stuff

Just installed Windows 7, seems to work fine. I did a clean install so I still need to reinstall some plugins, but my FP10 and Sonar seem to be running fine. MUCH faster, although thats probably more attributed to having very few programs installed than the OS.

To play devils advocate potentially, what dont you like about XP/you really hate?

No offense Kev but that argument/way of thinking is a bit of a "Hey, we got all we need right now so let's never ever develope new things and move forward ever again!" :) We don't know what we need until we need it, and won't you agree that XP is stretched out and pushed beyond its limits already?

I don't have anything against XP, but I still wanna move forward and go to the next OS. We have pushed XP's limits a lot now, it's been almost 10 years and while we may not know what "else" we need right now, we sure as hell will come to the point where we're gonna need something that XP just isn't capable of giving us.

With that said though, I never went to Vista at all, because that is one bad excuse for an OS to be honest. The most important upgrade in Windows 7 seems to be the Linux rip off they did with the kernel and the GUI running separately, so that when the GUI crashes, it doesn't bring the rest of the OS down with it, like it can happen often in XP and Vista (if I'm not mistaken).

Ok update on the Windows 7 thing.

I'm running a 2GHz duo laptop, 2GB ram.

Before I had a lot of shit installed cos I got it '2nd hand' from my dad. So I did a clean install so dont take these figures as being JUST Windows 7.

Im running my EP which has about 23 tracks and about 25 buses, LOTS of EQ and compressors cos the tracks were badly done. Just one reverb, and one impulse going.

Before I was running at about 80% CPU, now I'm down to 50%.

edit: the only thing I've had trouble with has been Drumagog installing. But I seem to remember having issues before as well. That and the screen isnt as crisp as before, although I've yet to update the graphics drivers.

No offense Kev but that argument/way of thinking is a bit of a "Hey, we got all we need right now so let's never ever develope new things and move forward ever again!" :) We don't know what we need until we need it, and won't you agree that XP is stretched out and pushed beyond its limits already?

I don't have anything against XP, but I still wanna move forward and go to the next OS. We have pushed XP's limits a lot now, it's been almost 10 years and while we may not know what "else" we need right now, we sure as hell will come to the point where we're gonna need something that XP just isn't capable of giving us.

With that said though, I never went to Vista at all, because that is one bad excuse for an OS to be honest. The most important upgrade in Windows 7 seems to be the Linux rip off they did with the kernel and the GUI running separately, so that when the GUI crashes, it doesn't bring the rest of the OS down with it, like it can happen often in XP and Vista (if I'm not mistaken).

Haha none taken dude :cool: I was just trying to highlight the fact that a lot of people will move over for shits, giggles and hype when in actual fact they are selling themselves down the river of epic fail. I whole heartedly agree with moving forward, but i think from an audio workstation perspective if you've got something fairly rock solid its not a priority. For people like us who like to tinker, I say hell yeh! But even still, i am quite reserved, for the only feature i benefitted from under vista was DX10. How about you? I might load the new release candidate tonight just to see whats going down, since i got my new SLC Samsung drive i have one of those old mechanical drives hanging around :p

What about writing here which drivers / plugins did work or not so that everyone can check here ? We could list them for people asking to themselves if 7 is already a good idea for them. Even if it's only a RC version, it's still good to know.

if your computer is less than 4 years old it'll almost certainly support 64bit

your cpu is the important thing, remember the amd 64? that was years ago and that had full 64bit functionality and it didn't take intel long to follow suit

all intel core are 64 bits. so basically any not too old laptop is 64bit-ready. And basically nearly all recent computers are (excepted netbooks with the 1.66ghz Atom CPU)

thats all id like to know too

oh and a bit of a n00b question here, but the 32/64 bit depends on your mobo n cpu right? such a stupid question considering ive sucessfully built and overclocked many pcs over the years:erk:

The biggest consideration is whether your software and plug-ins are compatible. Some plug-ins don't like to play nice with 64-bit and that worries me most. It's about time we switched over though. Windows 7 should have forced everyone across, but they made a last minute change to accommodate both. I mean cmon, enough with the 4gb of total system ram limitation!

Anyway, if your hardware is moderately new, you should be fine. Most has been 64-bit compatible for years now.