Windows 7

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello guys.

I've seen some people using the windows 7 beta already. If anyone has already tested it, what do you think of it for us audiogeeks ? I did stay on XP, due to all the problems of Vista, even if it seems it has more or less been solved in the end. Are there any new features that could interest us ?

It's definitely more stable and runs better than Vista. I can't test it with my M-Audio interface because the drivers for Vista won't work with Windows 7, however I still won't be switching from my Mac for audio/video work because OS X runs so much smoother.

Overall, Windows 7 performs quite a bit better than Vista did and I'll probably purchase a copy after it's finally released to install on my PC for the programs that I need which don't have Mac OS X versions.

The Release Candidate is coming out soon. It will be a free download for everyone once again. It's worth trying... it definitely leaves Vista in the dust. My experiences with it were overwhelmingly positive. Largely intuitive and user-friendly, but I didn't get around to tweaking it for max performance, since most audio apps don't work on it anyway.

Yeah, I'm gonna test it soon too. About vista... I have a friend that is the biggest geek I've ever seen (he had for some times the world record of bunchmarking. you know, he's that sort of guy dealing with liquid azot etc!), and with a pure install of vista, he has NO problem, and it runs smooth. I don't know how he does, he said to me the best is not to tweak at all, just remove unwanted processes and apps at the install and that's it, of course with last SP.

Its normal that windows 7 runs with more ram than XP. It's still not so much because in a few years every PC will have 6 or 8 go of ram. It's sort of "planned", I guess.

I just hope there will not be too much plugins that won't work on 7 at the beginning. it's so frustrating, and of course we'll have to check all our drivers compatibilities. I think this time microsoft made a "xp compatible" option that seems different of the option you get with right clicking an app (cause this only works on time on 10), but I'm not so sure do you remember it too ?

Yes, the W7 RC is out today to the general public but still... XP is the greatest OS that has ever lived yet- always ask yourself the question- why do I need to change OS? If you dont have a reason, dont change for shits and giggles as we've got XP for some time to come yet. I triald vista for around a year, then realised what do i really need this crock of ram consuming, slow responding piece of junk for? DX10? lol. So I reverted back to XP and now live a life of painfree computing again.

Its fun to trial the new operating systems on vmware, or spare hard disks but never again am i going to step onto an OS before its first service pack has been released.

I see the same way as you but hey, XP is starting to get old (8 years) . If windows learnt a lesson from vista, maybe this os will be the next step and, that, very quickly. Anyway, of course, getting to 7 without its first SP is dangerous.

A friend has the leaked RC installed, it's quite stable and really quick for the moment. Less consuming than vista, more than XP. Nothing compared to the first tries of vista (remember that PC that crashes while you just let it wait !).

It's not about geek testing just for geek testing, I do really believe there's a chance to have a next os that has a potential to be stable.

Do you know if the RC will let us try it as fully fonctionnal for our audio needs ?

i'm planning to download, but should i get the 32 bit or the 64 bit version? i'm planning to do a clean install on a partition (or even a USB stick)

my pc is capable of running 64 bit, i'm just wondering whether it'd be a good idea

What frustrates me is that we've had 64 bit and multi-core technology for years now, yet how many applications can take advantage of that or worse still are even compatible with them. :ill:

I see the same way as you but hey, XP is starting to get old (8 years) . If windows learnt a lesson from vista, maybe this os will be the next step and, that, very quickly. Anyway, of course, getting to 7 without its first SP is dangerous.

A friend has the leaked RC installed, it's quite stable and really quick for the moment. Less consuming than vista, more than XP. Nothing compared to the first tries of vista (remember that PC that crashes while you just let it wait !).

It's not about geek testing just for geek testing, I do really believe there's a chance to have a next os that has a potential to be stable.

Do you know if the RC will let us try it as fully fonctionnal for our audio needs ?

To play devils advocate potentially, what dont you like about XP/you really hate?

I found it to have greater stability than Vista but it still consumed more ram than XP.

A lot of people complained about this.. I read up some and actually this is a good thing. RAM is like a cache, so Vista 'uses' it constantly on apps that you regularly use, so that if you decide to open that app, it doesn't take ages allocating the memory to it, because the memory is already there. So the RAM isn't being 'wasted', but it is being used, usefully.

A lot of people complained about this.. I read up some and actually this is a good thing. RAM is like a cache, so Vista 'uses' it constantly on apps that you regularly use, so that if you decide to open that app, it doesn't take ages allocating the memory to it, because the memory is already there. So the RAM isn't being 'wasted', but it is being used, usefully.

Think that's the way OSX does it too. Gave me horrors when I first saw that I only had 30mb/3gb free ram.

Agreed.

It's hard getting superior 2.0 running full articulations to agree though :lol:.