Windows 8

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi guys,

So windows 8 is approaching, I think the first beta will be released in february.

Any impressions ? Any hopes ?

To be honest I have always been excited by a new Windows, and I was happy when I saw how nice seven was. But 8 is kind of "meh" from what I can tell, from a distance. I'm also very unimpressed by the new tactile interface, it seems cold and cluttered, for some reason, to me.

I'm now on mac os and couldn't be happier, makes my life easier, but still keep a dualboot for the rest of my things like flight sims, old projects for compatibility with the plethora of windows vst freebies etc, a few games etc, so I hope it's gonna be good and efficient !

Last edited by a moderator:
The core stays the same, so if you don't use Metro display, you pretty much have a windows 7 with some enhanced things, but yeah that's pretty much about it.

I've had the Developer Preview installed for a while now and I'm in two minds about it.

Firstly, I think the new Metro interface is quite well done. it feels like MS have taken a big step forward with a bold, fresh design that's not just a shoddy rip-off of OSX/iOS (I'm looking at you, Android). They've really put some effort into the interaction and design, it's all small things that add up to a nice interface.

On the other hand, the old desktop is still there lurking behind it. I really can't decide if this split-personality approach is a good idea or not.
Arguably the tablet/touchscreen crowd don't give a damn about being able to run Cubase or even Office on the desktop side and the people who do care about desktop programs don't really want the Metro interface getting in their way.

It feels like MS are trying to cast the net as wide as possible in hopes of keeping everyone happy, which I frankly don't think is going to work very well.

I reckon they (and the consumer) would be better off with two distinct systems, a "Windows 8 Desktop" for the businesses and power-users, and "Windows 8 Metro" for tablets and phones. Best of both worlds without cross-polluting either of them.

If we all followed this approach, we all would be on Commodore 64 and Amigas still lol.

Actually not. If I get a new computer in the future, I will go for the whole 64bit, new OS, whatever stuff.
But my current system is stable (*knocks on wood*) and does all I currently need it to do. I don't feel the need to upgrade whenever something new comes out.

The funny part about 7 and 8 is that they're version 6.1 and 6.2
I'm happy with 7, it really works great on my production pc, but I'm waiting till the REAL version 7 comes out till i buy a new one.
But to be honest I don't like the Metro interface one bit... cause it works for a phone but not for a PC...
oh well we'll see about it, I don't need a new comp/laptop just yet.

OS keep becoming more and more as if were made by Play-Doh/Fisher Price. I don't like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
But to be honest I don't like the Metro interface one bit... cause it works for a phone but not for a PC...

+1

At first, it sounded like a cool concept, the touch screen everything, but for a PC? I can see that it could be alot of work after a while. Basically what I mean to say is, think of continuing using a mouse where the tiny movement can get you across the screen effortlessly. Even after doing it for hours. Whereas the Win8 concept, they're introducing reaching over to touch the screen and start sliding across. Doing that for hours can certainly be unpleasant.

And the on-screen keyboard? Are you serious? typing at a 90 degree angle? That "split keyboard for thumbs" doesn't help much either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy Win7 user and I love Win7, It's amazing. But Win8 basically looks like the iPad ..but alot bigger.

But hey, it's just a 'first look' and something like beta. Maybe it will actually be cool. We'll just have to wait and see then.