Witch SX song to cover?

Martymcfly

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2004
Hey X-ers.

Im trying to convince my band mates to do a SX cover...im thinking about candlelight fantasia, awakenings or A winters dream Pt2...

As a fan what music from this three would you like to hear live?

M

if your good i'd say awakenings, but if not, please dont ruin it, its my fav. SX song and the name of the band im in. otherwise, winters dream pt 2 would be pretty cool.

I think if you do a cover it needs to be sort of energetic song, not an epic or a ballad. Do something like Of Sins and Shadows, Out of the Ashes, Smoke and Mirrors, or something like that. My band might cover Premonition or Thorns of Sorrow. I want to practice more I don't want to butcher The solo for ToS. I can handle Premonition though.

dargormudshark said:
I think if you do a cover it needs to be sort of energetic song, not an epic or a ballad. Do something like Of Sins and Shadows, Out of the Ashes, Smoke and Mirrors, or something like that. My band might cover Premonition or Thorns of Sorrow. I want to practice more I don't want to butcher The solo for ToS. I can handle Premonition though.

Hmm...Yeah Of Sins and Shadows will be nice. Solos are not hard to play and thats good thing.

Hey, I think you can also play Wicked, its pretty good

We are a beginning metal band tell us what you think
-www.hespedus.cjb.net-

personally i dont think the 3 suggested would make the best covers of whats on offer to use, as people have been saying, a more upbeat one would be good, and the ones already said are great, but personally.. i think that church of the machine would make an awesome cover..

nice pick, SilentRealm... I dig that tune, and it's one of their more "straight-forward" SX tunes as well. An audience pleaser.

"Egypt" is another killer tune that audiences dig. It sounds really "big" when played live.

Why don't you not play a cover and invest the time you'd need to get a SX song sounding good enough to play live (and lets face it you aren't gonna top the X version) on writing a new song......with covers you either have to go really close to nailing it or you have to change it so its not a poor replica.
My band plays one cover and its "I'll Wait" by Van Halen (off 1984)...which is a keyboard song that i converted to play on guitar.....it sounds different enough that people don't know what it is straight off until the verse kicks in.
Covers are fun....but the time and effort to learn and get an X song could be better spent writing your own shit...unless your band are all super freaky nail it in a jam or two.

never mind my post above... i was on crack or something.

taliwakker is right: unless i were doing something unusual, like an acoustic version of "Church of the Machine" (hey! there's an idea!), i wouldn't attempt to cover a sym-x tune live.

now a shred-metal version of "Magic" by Olivia Newton John... THAT i've done. :lol:

Yeah my bands got 2 X sound-alikes. One Infreno/Of sins and shadows type song and one epic, we call it Accolade 3! I see these these songs as the ones they hav'nt written yet, or will they be on the new album yet. We even are writing Real Symphony X sounding lyrics, how's this? "This wicked game lays a curse upon my masquerade". I know we're trying to develop our own sound from now on.

dargormudshark said:
Yeah my bands got 2 X sound-alikes. One Infreno/Of sins and shadows type song and one epic, we call it Accolade 3! I see these these songs as the ones they hav'nt written yet, or will they be on the new album yet. We even are writing Real Symphony X sounding lyrics, how's this? "This wicked game lays a curse upon my masquerade". I know we're trying to develop our own sound from now on.
wtf?

people you mentioned that you want to cover awakenings, do you have tab for that song?
and do any1 of you people has tab for church of the machine solos?

you people must be really good guitarists if you think that of sins and shadows has an easy solos...

i'm currently breaking my fingers (and my head) with sea of lies, but i think i can make it, but of sins and shadows.... i don't think so :worship:

Hey all...thanks for the nice thoughts and ideas.
I am leanig towards "a winters dream Pt2". I allways wanted to sing that bridge and chorus.in my oppinion its one of the best chorus SX ever wrote.

Its just a homage...playing it live will be my way of sayin thank you to the band for inspiring me all this years and a way of making their music get to ppl that dont know SX yet.i just hope it comes out fine. ill keep you posted.

Are we Xers?

M.