Wolverhampton Gig 10/11/07

~*Vix*~

Sep 20, 2007
Ok, I have just got home. It's nearly 4.00am and I'm still a bouncing ball of fan-girliness...

So Symphony X were fucking awesome. But you all knew they would be ;) Their sound girl (I believe) should be shot because the quality was dreadful, despite the equipment in the place being great and the band being on top form... Ok, it really does pain me to say it, but Dream Theater's sound was awesome. Just right. (Hey, don't get carried away, I don't mean the music you understand; while there were moments of 'oooooh:kickass:' there were too many moments of 'wtf?!' and 'they actually sounded pretty good (I'm mainly talking about the tone of that guitar - wow) until the singer came in', but I digress...)

So I got to meet the guys afterwards, except for Russell. I went outside before DT had finished and just happened to catch them.... as well as Jason's drumstick (which of course he signed!!). :p It was awesome because there wasn't anyone else around so I got to chat too :) Ok, so I told them about mine and Zach's news and they were really happy for us. AND I asked if they'd play our wedding. :lol: Of course it's fucking unlikely but I had to try, right? Hehe. Ok, so eventually the guys got on the coach but then Jason came back over and asked me where to go to get a drink, so.....

:kickass::kickass::kickass:I TOOK JASON RULLO TO THE PUB :kickass::kickass::kickass:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: It was more fucking awesome than I can describe (sorry for the extreme fangirly here :oops:).... but then the most rediculous thing happened; I went to offer to buy them (he and his drum tech, Sebastian) a drink, but then realised I'd spent all my sodding money on a SX hoodie!! So I had to leave them at the pub while I ran out to find the nearest cashpoint!!! :lol: It was really great, and we must have been in there a good hour and a bit with a pint of Guiness.

Ok, and I feel kinda smug admittedly because Jason told me something that I can't announce for fear of having my arse kicked ;) but also because the guys were pretty fucking shocked at how popular they are over here (the number of people who there were *just* for SX genuinely was significant)... However, as much as I hate that it had to be that way, opening for DT did them A LOT of good tonight so I'm really pleased for them.

*Contented sigh*

Going to make frozen pizza now (I'm feeling surprisingly brave). Night night,

V-x-

Glad you had a blast:headbang: It's too fucking bad sbout SX's live sound. It was that way when I saw them in '04 and every review I've seen of this tour has been pretty bad in that respect. They oughtta just have DT's sound people run their set too...DT ALWAYS has great live sound. Glad you didn't completely hate DT's set either:lol:

Frozen pizzas rock btw....I'm eating one now. I'll take greasy goodness over nutrition any day.

cool review, thanks! these guys are the coolest, I met them a few years back supporting some band, Stratovarius? it's realy easy to choose between a Stratovarius set and a chat with SX :kickass:

about the sound, their headline gig in France was amazing, their soundguy may look ugly but I was pritty happy with the result.
about the soundgirl??:loco: she's H. the "lightgirl" in fact and the coolest! she got me the setlist:headbang:

now where are next years Euro dates?:kickass:

rawk on!

Lucky you! I can't wait till they come back here in April because I would love to meet them and confirm their performance at your wedding ;D

Lucky you! I can't wait till they come back here in April because I would love to meet them and confirm their performance at your wedding ;D

:lol:

Haha, they were really fucking cool about it! It would seem they have prior engagements though around that time :cry:

about the soundgirl??:loco: she's H. the "lightgirl" in fact and the coolest! she got me the setlist:headbang:

Please tell me you are joking... the lightgirl?! Then it would seem SX had no soundguy during their performance. Seriously, she was the only one at the mixer... :guh:

Vix, you are absolutely spot on about how opening for DT has raised SX's profile, I for one would not be a fan had it not been for their support slot being announced back in June. I immediately went out and bought Paradise Lost and was completely blown away. I'm sure that there are many more people like me out there.
I too was at Wolverhampton last night for a night of pure musical brilliance from both bands and I can't remember any occasion in all my years of gigging of seeing a support act getting such rapturous reception, applause and ovation from a crowd. Well deserved as SX were awesome. All we need now is a headlining tour!!:headbang:
By the way, which pub did you take Jason to?

Vix, you are absolutely spot on about how opening for DT has raised SX's profile, I for one would not be a fan had it not been for their support slot being announced back in June. I immediately went out and bought Paradise Lost and was completely blown away. I'm sure that there are many more people like me out there.
I too was at Wolverhampton last night for a night of pure musical brilliance from both bands and I can't remember any occasion in all my years of gigging of seeing a support act getting such rapturous reception, applause and ovation from a crowd. Well deserved as SX were awesome. All we need now is a headlining tour!!:headbang:
By the way, which pub did you take Jason to?

Hey there! Welcome :) I took him to the Giffard. He seemed to enjoy it too :lol:

I was there too. Awesome gig, i didn't think their sound was too bad, but then i go to JBs in Dudley (saw WASP there last week) and the sound there is always awful.

I took my mate to see Symphony X and Dream Theater in Wolverhampton and he wasn't familiar with either really but he loves his metal so i thought i'd show him the light. He loved Symphony X he's buying their whole back catalogue now! He was especially impressed with Michael Romeo's playing and Russell Allen's stage presence. Russell made me laugh a few times and his voice sounded HUGE and powerful. Oh yeah and DT were quite good too.:headbang:

I was there too. Awesome gig, i didn't think their sound was too bad, but then i go to JBs in Dudley (saw WASP there last week) and the sound there is always awful.

I took my mate to see Symphony X and Dream Theater in Wolverhampton and he wasn't familiar with either really but he loves his metal so i thought i'd show him the light. He loved Symphony X he's buying their whole back catalogue now! He was especially impressed with Michael Romeo's playing and Russell Allen's stage presence. Russell made me laugh a few times and his voice sounded HUGE and powerful. Oh yeah and DT were quite good too.:headbang:

:lol:
That's awesome dude. Glad you both had a good time :) JBs? Wow, I can barely even remember the last time I was there. I can't believe that place is even still open!

i told mike i wanted egypt :< he wants egypt too! :<

Haha. That would be awesome.

What we agreed on in the end (because a few mates ended up coming down to the pub to meet us and we ended up with far too many 'favourites') was that we'd fill out request slips at the start of the night and give them to DJ Jason :lol::kickass:

We also debated whether or not they should play Accolade II... he was saying how it'd had mixed receptions in the past so they'd have to think carefully how they'd make it work. It would seem they had no intention of playing it again live so we might have a little more arm-twisting to do first ;)