World Music: Recommendations?

Heir Apparent

Feb 19, 2008
So i've been kind of on a World music binge of late. I've been listening to along of Indian Classical music (Ravi Shankar, Nikhil Banerjee) and I found this Kurdish folk band named The Kamkars who are brilliant. Also listening to Cheb I Sabbah.

Any recommendations for some more great world music?

Dead Can Dance would probably be my favorite band with the label of World music. There's shitloads of great folk bands. You like Opeth so u'll like Scandinavian folk, so for example check out Tenhi. For a really good recent folk album with a nice blend of influences from a variety of countries, check out Voice of the Seven Woods- s/t.

Rabih Abou-Khalil - Blue Camel

Middle-Eastern-inflected jazz. A really great album. Here is a partial description from All Music Guide:

"Blue Camel is the pinnacle to date of Lebanese oud-player Rabih Abou-Khalil's achievement as a jazzman. In both mood and scope, it can almost be characterized as a new Kind of Blue. Both tense and reflective, it is perfect for listening after midnight."

Good luck finding a hard copy.

Kaizers Orchestra - Ompa Til Du Dør (Norwegian rock)
Gogol Bordello (Eastern European folky rock)
Manu Dibango - Wakafrika (awesome southern African stuff)
Peter Gabriel - Big Blue Ball (you can't go wrong with this.)
Yoshihiro Ike, Yuki Kajiura, Tan Dun (great atmospheric/asian)
Mohammed Reza Shajarian - Night Silence Desert (Middle Eastern)

So i've been kind of on a World music binge of late. I've been listening to along of Indian Classical music (Ravi Shankar, Nikhil Banerjee) and I found this Kurdish folk band named The Kamkars who are brilliant. Also listening to Cheb I Sabbah.

Any recommendations for some more great world music?

Check this out...

It is a form of greek music called "rebetiko"... it is sometimes compared with blues because like the blues it was played mainly by poor people of the lower classes and by the outcasts of society.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is world music? from what ive read here it sounds like a blend of folk styles and popular stuff