Worst guitar solos

Pretty much 99% of solos. I can't stand bluesy improvised solos or random neoclassical shredding garbage. I'm much more into "lyrical" solos, or well thought all tech death stuff.

So yeah, I'm not too big into solos.

So pretty much the only people who's solos I actually do like are: Gorguts (their latter two albums, great, weird dissonant solos), Emperor (fantastic "lyrical" solos that ACTUALLY FIT WITH THE SONG and aren't obsessed with just shredding the fretboard), Drudkh (see <<<), Nile (although they shred, it's in a way that really "feels" right rhythmically and is very satisfying, it doesn't come across as wanking)

That's pretty much it. Everyone else (that I've heard) is somewhere between bad and unlistenable, with an occasional exception.

I don't really have any guitar solos I hate, but I tend not to like filler and wanking shit. Solos should add to the music and avoid being showy. This is why I don't like Yngwie Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio - they may be good at playing fast and have the technique down, but most of their music is useless.

I think nowadays most music fans don't really care about guitar solos anymore. I'm sitting here and shaking my head in stunned disbelief at some of the artists mentioned here. John Petrucci from Dream Theater? Holy hell the man is brilliant on guitar. It's not all neo-classical sweep picking with the man he can pretty much make any solo fit with the song being played. The entire Scenes From A Memory album is a testament as to just how good he plays.

mustaine is a very smart individual and very political at that, most of his songs are written about politics, "peace sells but whos buying"...maybe you should of caught onto that before saying he writes shitty songs? you think their underated? thats funny because most people think they suck which simply isnt true...mustaines solos > kirks solos

People don't care about solos anymore because today they're introduced straight into Black and Death Metal and they never grow an appreciation for Heavy, Speed, Doom, and Thrash Metal (with exception for the more extreme bands).

Slayer were very good, and played blistering, aggressive thrash.
Megadeth, now there's a band that fucking sucks! They only had two decent albums, and even those had some shit songs on them.
It's posts like this enlighten every member of this board as to how fucking ignorant you are. Megadeth's early catalogue through Rust In Peace had some top-notch thrash, while even Slayer's best albums only had moments of glory, and since then they've fallen a LOT farther into the shithole than Megadeth have, approaching Metallica even. You're entitled to your opinion, but when you talk about how good Kerry King's "solos" are, you really don't have a lot of credibility.

I know Mustaine and Friedman can play. Megadeth actually have some fast, hard to play solos. But Megadeth really don't have much material I can get into. Peace Sells and Rust in Peace are their only two albums that contain songs I actually like, albeit along with shit songs like Tornado of Souls and the like. Yes, I DON'T LIKE MEGADETH.
Again, it's amazing that you can bash the entirety of Megadeth's discography save for two albums AND call "Tornado of Souls", widely regarded as one of their best songs, a "shit" song.

Good lead player, shitty songwriter!
You want to talk about shitty songwriting I strongly invite you to check out the entire Slayer catalogue from the past 15 years.

It's posts like this enlighten every member of this board as to how fucking ignorant you are. Megadeth's early catalogue through Rust In Peace had some top-notch thrash, while even Slayer's best albums only had moments of glory, and since then they've fallen a LOT farther into the shithole than Megadeth have, approaching Metallica even. You're entitled to your opinion, but when you talk about how good Kerry King's "solos" are, you really don't have a lot of credibility.

Again, it's amazing that you can bash the entirety of Megadeth's discography save for two albums AND call "Tornado of Souls", widely regarded as one of their best songs, a "shit" song.

You want to talk about shitty songwriting I strongly invite you to check out the entire Slayer catalogue from the past 15 years.
I never said Kerry King's solos are good. They're not. Slayer's classic material had much better riffs than Megadeth ever had. Everyone has different tastes. I do not like Megadeth. No big deal.

Im sorry to break it to you... but they are overrated. Slayer is part of the trinity of overrated metal which also consists of Metallica and Pantera.

The reason I say that Slayer is overrated is because people give them way too much fucking credit. Slayer didnt invent thrash. Sure they were part of the early thrash scene but there were other bands out there as well. Alot of the crazy die hard slayer fans ive met refuse to accept the fact that Slayer didnt create metal.

Its a personal opinion as to how much I like or dislike slayer but I dont see how anyone could honestly say that Slayer isnt at least a little overrated.

yes amen

also, who invented metal?

Tony Iommi does not have typical metal sounding solos which is why his solos are better than majority of metal bands. Majority of lead guitarists sound like they're the same person.

Yngwie Malmsteen is a twat and a widdler, but I must admit to really liking his "Rising Force" album. It's not too overblown and has some very nice soloing on it. A good album for listening to while in the bath, like Satch's "The Extremist".
As for shit solos, Darkthrones all sound pretty poor. As do Kirk Hammet's since the Black album.

I have been realizing lately why so many bands do not have solos. It's not because solos are hard(I have been playing for years), it's because majority of the time they are pretty much worthless. It's much harder to write some solid sections. I get the feeling that majority of lead guitarist can't really do anything else. I really doubt for example kirk hammet could write a solid acoustic album. Chords actually give me much more problems than lead playing. 80's metal guitarists for example are crap.

I have been realizing lately why so many bands do not have solos. It's not because solos are hard(I have been playing for years), it's because majority of the time they are pretty much worthless. It's much harder to write some solid sections. I get the feeling that majority of lead guitarist can't really do anything else. I really doubt for example kirk hammet could write a solid acoustic album. Chords actually give me much more problems than lead playing. 80's metal guitarists for example are crap.

I don't get your point at all. You're saying a lot of guitarists can't do anything other than solo, and that explains why so many bands don't have solos? :zombie: I don't follow your logic - if they're so easy, why aren't bands doing them?
And I see you still edit every post ten seconds after posting it. :loco:

Any good guitarist knows scales and can solo because it's a warming up technique(imo) regardless if they do solos or not. I think people start realizing there is more point in music than scale warm ups. I have never heard a praised lead guitarist do anything on guitar except solo. Any person can sit around for hours for a few years and be able to shred. To me that is not proving you are a good guitarist.

Yngwie Malmsteen is a twat and a widdler, but I must admit to really liking his "Rising Force" album. It's not too overblown and has some very nice soloing on it. A good album for listening to while in the bath, like Satch's "The Extremist".
As for shit solos, Darkthrones all sound pretty poor. As do Kirk Hammet's since the Black album.

Darkthrone were never about musicianship. get over it.