Worst guitar solos

Any good guitarist knows scales and can solo because it's a warming up technique(imo) regardless if they do solos or not. I think people start realizing there is more point in music than scale warm ups. I have never heard a praised lead guitarist do anything on guitar except solo. Any person can sit around for hours for a few years and be able to shred. To me that is not proving you are a good guitarist.

You say you've never heard a praised lead guitarist do anything other than solo, but what about Iommi, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Adrian Smith, EVH - every single one of them is rightly regarded as doing a hell of a lot more than solo, despite crafting some of the best solos ever.

Im sorry to break it to you... but they are overrated. Slayer is part of the trinity of overrated metal which also consists of Metallica and Pantera.

Quite easily. Pretty much no matter who you speak to, they will say at least 1 of Slayer's albums is top 5 greatest thrash of all time. Be it the non-thrashers who love Seasons in the Abyss and dont know much about thrash in general, the cluelesss masses who love Reign in Blood, the small group of individuals who prefer the haunting sound of South of Heaven, the purists who praise Hell Awaits for it's originality and authenticity or people like me and apparently you who think the NWOBHM crossover thrash stylings of Show No Mercy. But regardless of how informed the person is, that's five kick arse landmark albums that make Slayer one of the greatest bands ever.

Also, there is a difference between the idiotic opinions of the people you have met, that think Slayer created metal, and the opinions of people who actually count. 15 y/o's who just heard the latest Slayer song on MTV, hardly count.

You want overrated; see Exodus, Anthrax and other such tripe.

As far as the Megadeth bashing goes, for those who don't appreciate it, that's their loss. But I can't believe anyone could not like Tornado of Souls. :kickass:

"Tornado Of Souls" has some of my favorite solos and riffs of all time! :kickass:

I can't really think of what solos I hate or would call the worst other than the one in "Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin. Rock has far worse solos than metal does, IMO.

stop with the slayer hating jeez

they released 5 of the greatest thrash albums ever

megadeth, slayer, and metallica all have gone in very similar paths - 4 - 5 fantastic thrash/speed albums followed by a whole bunch of crap - I still don't think that diminishes the quality of their previous work at all though

...and justice for all is prolly my favorite thrash album overall

I find the solos in Morbid Angel's first two albums to be completely inaudible and random. That's not to say that it detracts from the two albums greatness however. :headbang:

^ you picked a good one to like, but fuck, i know there solos don't always fit and are very similar sounding but you can't deny angel of deaths solo for fuck sake.

Slayer. Kerry King is just a bunch of wammy-bar wankery that sounds like absolute shit. People just like it because he is some kind of metal icon. I just can't see it.

I didn't even know that As Flittermice As Satans Spys had a fucking solo in it until I read this thread. :lol:

I just put my CD in, listened to it and I agree it is absolutely stupid. The riff is sort of hypnotizing throughout the song but it is also very boring.

I don't get why slayers solos suck so much. Is it because they are chaotic and random? So far I've only heard reign in blood, but the solos are, for me, exactly what they should be. THey are frenzied and intense, which is what the band was going for with the album, it seems like to me. And the greys, just because you know scales doesn't mean you can make a good solo. Lots of the guitar greats didn't even bother with scales. A good solo is creative and emotive. Making a great solo, for me, when I play saxophone, is the hardest part of the song.

And the worst solos I've ever heard are nirvana's.

Maybe Slayer solos suck, but they could sure write killer riffs for their first five albums, unlike that faggot Dave Mustaine.

Rattlehead
Killing is my business... ...and Business is good
Loved to Deth
Mechanix
My Last Words
Peace Sells

Just those songs are worth a lot more than Slayer´s entire discography

Rattlehead
Killing is my business... ...and Business is good
Loved to Deth
Mechanix
My Last Words
Peace Sells

Just those songs are worth a lot more than Slayer´s entire discography
I totally disagree. Slayer is infinitely better than Megadeth in my book. I guess it's a taste thing. I can count the number of Megadeth songs I actually like on two hands.