Worst Guitar Tones in a Professional Recording.

Zerochance

Oct 3, 2013
For me, it'd have to be the guitar tones in "This Is Love, This Is Murderous" by Bleeding Through.

Was never a huge BT fan, but after listening for a while, it struck me how awful those guitar tones are. Thin, brittle, with absolutely no clarity and the gain cranked as high as humanly possible. It's absolutely a chore to listen to.

Just thought it'd be a fun discussion.

Symphony X. I don't know about their newer stuff, but I can't even listen to stuff like Damnation Game because it sounds like someone just forgot to double-track the guitar and didn't adjust anything to compensate.

I think it's Aborted "Goremageddon" - very hard to listen without bleeding in your ears. Awesome stuff with such an awful guitar tone.

I think 'Goremageddon' guitar tone is awesome and fits perfectly the songs. You probably don't like Bloodbath 'Resurrection Through Carnage' guitar tone I guess.

I think 'Goremageddon' guitar tone is awesome and fits perfectly the songs. You probably don't like Bloodbath 'Resurrection Through Carnage' guitar tone I guess.

Later Aborted albums have guitar tones (and production in general) a thousand times better than Goremageddon for sure. It's not unlistenable to me, I love that album, but it is a bit too harsh and weird. And Bloodbath's "Resurrection" took me a long time to be able to not hate, and Bloodbath is one of my favorite bands hahaha

Older Symphony X doesn't sound good but Iconoclast and Paradise Lost sound decent.

Nile's guitar tone sounds awful, part of the reason I can't get into them. Sounds scratchy and fizzy and just generally blegh.

I'll list more if I think of any.

^ What the fuck is this band??? Pfew, more than the guitar tone, it's the band/music/video that I find horrible ahah!
Sorry for the off topic comment :)

Back on topic I'd say Soilwork 'Sworn To A Great Divide'.

It indeed sounds a bit harsh but imho it adds some aggressive vibes in there. But it's a matter of taste of course ;) I agree about the latest Aborted albums tho, great productions!

Resurrection Through Carnage is unlistenable to me and might be the worst I've ever heard. Goremageddon is just kinda grimy death metal, not especially raw to my ears.

The most recent Obituary album is also just a godawful, hilariously bad mess. The drums and vocals are the worst part but the guitars are terrible too.

hahah I'm sorry dude, Unblessing The Purity is one of my favorite albums ever and I loved their new one, but the guitars on Resurrection sound like a solid state Line 6 amp on the INSANE setting. And I love Darkthrone and Entombed and other stuff with raw production. But there's raw...and then there's bad. :p

All of 'Cowboys From Hell'.

Oh, and Lamb of God's 'Ashes of the Wake'. Used to think it was awesome, heard it recently and thin, scratchy guitars.....eek.