Worst Guitar Tones in a Professional Recording.

Resurrection Through Carnage is unlistenable to me and might be the worst I've ever heard. Goremageddon is just kinda grimy death metal, not especially raw to my ears.

The most recent Obituary album is also just a godawful, hilariously bad mess. The drums and vocals are the worst part but the guitars are terrible too.

Was gonna say "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" :D:loco: although I'm not sure it qualifies as "pro" recording.

Hollow man by entombed is certainly an acquired taste!
On the other end of the spectrum, RIOT! By paramore has horrible sounding guitars. The drums rule as do the vocals, but the guitars? Not so much.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wraoECk6hss&list=PL5C646BA6FC08866F[/ame]

/thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Burzum albums have the sound that matches the songs perfectly though. And yes, Filosofem was something like "old fuzz pedals into brother's hi-fi stereo system" but I don't know wheter it was miced up or directly into the board. All Pytten-made black metal albums have some magic quality in them that is quite hard to replicate.

indecizo you should see a doctor if you think Sybreed tone on the pulse of the pulse of awakening is bad, probably you are going deaf!lol

Burzum wins this thread.

There's a difference between "released by a label" and "professional recording". Therefore, Burzum is out of the running. :eek:

As far as metal records go, most of the '80s hair metal stuff sounds terrible to me. Thin, bright, chorused, washed out. It helps that I don't like the stuff to begin with, granted. Plenty of "real metal" records from that era sound like wank, too. Jake E. Lee-era Ozzy is pretty bad.

I always thought Megadeth's Rust In Peace had some pretty crap tone. Still do. That, presumably, had a real budget.

Pain's Rebirth was ear-fatigue city. And I like industrial music, noise rock, and all manner of abrasive things. Just sounded unpleasant.

I'm sure there's more.

And this is leaving out a whole world of crap guitar tones that have nothing (or at least very little) to do with metal at all.

Hollow man by entombed is certainly an acquired taste!
On the other end of the spectrum, RIOT! By paramore has horrible sounding guitars. The drums rule as do the vocals, but the guitars? Not so much.

I really don't think RIOT! has bad sounding guitars, they fit the mix quite nicely, All We Know Is Falling on other hand has fucking horrible guitar sounds and the production overally is pretty shitty, especially guitars and drums.

Coming from the bass(or absence of) on Soundtrack, Come Clarity was a welcome change. But, I don't think the band has had a decent guitar tone, drum mix, or whole mix since Clayman.

Coming from the bass(or absence of) on Soundtrack, Come Clarity was a welcome change. But, I don't think the band has had a decent guitar tone, drum mix, or whole mix since Clayman.

Came here to say Soundtrack haha. I still love that album (and Come Clarity) but I also realize that the guitar tone is not particularly good for most In Flames releases...