Worst Katatonia release

worst release

• Total voters
Tonight's Decision why? Because the guitar sound is rather thin, most of the songs are rather straightforward and mid tempo. the verse-chorus-verse thing gets kinda old and this album has a lot of that. the production is very clean, like I said before the guitar sound is sort of mainstream-sounding, thin, lifeless at times. The atmosphere is really lacking for a Katatonia album, this is Katatonia's pop album imo. Saying that, Black Session and A Darkness Coming are brilliant and this album isn't bad but a huge letdown from Discouraged Ones.

LFDGD poppy? I find it a lot less accessible than TD, on LFDGD the guitar sound is more crunchy, they revived some of the atmosphere from DO (although not nearly as desperate) I think it's more melodic, more complex, more diverse and overall just a better well rounded album.

I don't think Katatonia have a "worst album". Each one is special for what it is. All albums are bound to contain songs that you like, and songs that you dislike. Katatonia have a gift for music. They have never disappointed me with a single release. :)

For me, a big part of the Katatonia appeal were the lyrics, because I could RELATE. "Atmosphere decays in me, I fail to convict my useless days" - been there, done that. "I'd like to try to live my life again" - that's me. "Somewhere I'm broken, no sensations evermore", "a brand new day, it can't get worse, hear myself say it can't get worse" - spot on. And then comes VE with such gems like "our wealth breeds emptiness" - yeah, and...? There are some great tunes on that record, but on most listens it fails to draw me in and just sort of rumbles on in the background. Too often I find myself skipping the middle tracks and listening only to the opener "Ghost of the Sun" and the three closing songs, of which "Inside the City of Glass" is my favourite. An instrumental. I think that says a lot.

Having said all that, I don't think that VE is a bad record - it's simply my least favourite Katatonia album.

gone said:
For me, a big part of the Katatonia appeal were the lyrics, because I could RELATE. "Atmosphere decays in me, I fail to convict my useless days" - been there, done that. "I'd like to try to live my life again" - that's me. "Somewhere I'm broken, no sensations evermore", "a brand new day, it can't get worse, hear myself say it can't get worse" - spot on. And then comes VE with such gems like "our wealth breeds emptiness" - yeah, and...? There are some great tunes on that record, but on most listens it fails to draw me in and just sort of rumbles on in the background. Too often I find myself skipping the middle tracks and listening only to the opener "Ghost of the Sun" and the three closing songs, of which "Inside the City of Glass" is my favourite. An instrumental. I think that says a lot.

Having said all that, I don't think that VE is a bad record - it's simply my least favourite Katatonia album.

I think I have to buy that album... By the way, my favorite one is doubtless Tonight's Decision, I like every single song... it's my fave album of all bands.

gone said:
For me, a big part of the Katatonia appeal were the lyrics, because I could RELATE. "Atmosphere decays in me, I fail to convict my useless days" - been there, done that. "I'd like to try to live my life again" - that's me. "Somewhere I'm broken, no sensations evermore", "a brand new day, it can't get worse, hear myself say it can't get worse" - spot on. And then comes VE with such gems like "our wealth breeds emptiness" - yeah, and...? QUOTE]

I have the same problem with VE lyrics, I think on the whole is a great album, as already said, it blows me away when I hear those songs live, but somehow I can't identify with the lyrics, which doesn't mean they are bad or similar, simply they don't touch me as the lyrics on their previous albums, and honestly speaking I couldn't pick up many quotations from VE....it's too much empty, bleak, cold, dry...not touching or moving....

Worst release...I must say Katatonia is one of the few bands who has always delivered high quality albums and I can't even find a single weak song they have ever done.
In terms of production of course the first albums are the "worst" ones, but I don't care that much about how an album is recorded, what is important is just the feeling it gives you and so far they have never disappointed me!

here's my list of my loved album untill the least loved
-Brave Murder Day
-Discouraged Ones
-Last Fair Deal Gone Down
-Dance Of Decmber Souls
-Tonight's Desicion
-Viva Emptiness

Hey!, why don't you like the tonight's decision as much as me???. I think the lyrics from TD are very personal ("or so I see it"). C'mon! just see titles like: For My Demons, I Am Nothing, No Good Can Come Of This... that are titles clearly so much personal, and I appreciate it. I've had a life so much complicated that Katatonia's lyrics are a relief for me.

Howsoever... Bye, and a Kiss for my Alma, she's my chimera and... If she would tell me that I am someone, then for a second I would think... great!!

C you...

Vorthex said:
Hey!, why don't you like the tonight's decision as much as me???. I think the lyrics from TD are very personal ("or so I see it"). C'mon! just see titles like: For My Demons, I Am Nothing, No Good Can Come Of This... that are titles clearly so much personal, and I appreciate it. I've had a life so much complicated that Katatonia's lyrics are a relief for me.

Howsoever... Bye, and a Kiss for my Alma, she's my chimera and... If she would tell me that I am someone, then for a second I would think... great!!

C you...
The lyrics are great and everything, but the music... I love "For My Demons", but as I see it - Katatonia maid "DO", and they tryed to redo it everytime. Everything was a scrue-up, but it still sound's great, just diferrent. Just so you'll kow, I have all Katatonia's albums (NOT EP's!) except VE.

I definately agree with K-tonic I think every single katatonia song I have ever heard was so far ahead of any other music out there that when I first heard Teargas (the first katatonia song I ever heard) it made me want to just get rid of all my old stupid cds. It took me some time to get into Viva Emptiness because it is just so different to Last fair deal but thats what made it so great. The progression between all the albums.
What do you mean by the one they never did though? Is there a Katatonia album I havnt heard?

the_dying said:
Sliming with your fans, hehe...

Where the slime live
(They are the lowest forms of life)
Where the slime breed
(They make a new one too corrupted)
When the wind blows
(The winds of truth are blowing now)
And the cradle falls....down

Their poison fingers that wrote the poison lines
Their poison lingers
What a tragedy when their fingers are removed

Where the slime live

Their burning dogma
Introducing to our mind - lies
They plot for the total control of the morals
And what a tragedy when the "god-heads" are removed.

They crawl, they breed, they hide but we see
They burn
I see the smoke of the funerals rising
God lives in thier heads now laid to rest

What a sight
As their kingdom comes tumbling down
We burn - the ones with contrite souls be gone!

Long gone are the filthy liars
Long gone are their filthy lies
I know they'll come again some day
Where the slime live and how the slime gets washed away

Blakkheim said:
Where the slime live
(They are the lowest forms of life)
Where the slime breed
(They make a new one too corrupted)
When the wind blows
(The winds of truth are blowing now)
And the cradle falls....down

What a good song blakkheim!!! but it is not so much related with katatonia's music. Could be a Morbid Angel's concert with katatonia opening???, jeje

"We Must Dominate!!!"

PD. We don't have anything in our hearts!, we are empty, we just have to kill ourselves and wait to bleed to die. And the people doesn't matter, the people sucks, if we could, we should shoot them in the head. Let's kill the fucking bastards. KILL THE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!