Worst Katatonia release

worst release

• Total voters
Ah right the entire concept of searching for the best sound that you can possibly create but never finding it and never being fully happy with whatever you have created beforehand. Now I get it.

I read in an interview once that Katatonia where supposed to record this whole other album after Tonight's Decision (before LFDGD), had all the music written and everything, then got all depressed or something and just never did it.

I voted for Dance of December Souls for my least favorite album. I hate that album. I didn't even put it on my Ipod. It's all doomy and terribly boring....it's like torture trying to listen to it. I can't believe anyone even likes it at all. But people have different taste and just can see something in doom music that I can't.

Their best album is Viva Emptiness, best lyrics, best music, best everything. The only song I skip through is One Year From Now. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my second favorite album, Tonight's Decision my 3rd, and so on. I believe every new album is better than the previous one.

EvilVince said:
I voted for Dance of December Souls for my least favorite album. I hate that album. I didn't even put it on my Ipod. It's all doomy and terribly boring....it's like torture trying to listen to it. I can't believe anyone even likes it at all. But people have different taste and just can see something in doom music that I can't.
DODS presents Katatonia's Innocence, I mean - damn! It wath 3 people: Jonas, Anders and Israphel. 3 people doing a job that usualy is maid for 5.
Jonas - Vocals, drums
Anders - All guitars
Israphel - Bass

And the lyrics... such innocent, Gateways of Bereavement, such beautiful lyrics, Without God...

Every song is like something else.
Gateways of Bereavement - Love
In Silence Enrished - (I don't really know, but it has a beautiful guitar solo)
Without God - Greart song, ateistic, powerful.
Elohim Meth - After such a srong song, we cool down with Elohim Meth
Velvet Thorns - (i don't know, so i'll pass.)
Tomb of Insomnia - Insomnia (da), beautiful lyrics.

Anyways, they were only 17(!!!) when they maid this album.
It is the innocence.

nameless said:
As alot of other metal bands - katatonia lost her 90's charm.
Viva Emptiness is too New-Metalic for me. I hope the next album will be better and will sound more like Discouraged Ones. (Or they could do metal again, but the chances are - they won't.)

Absolutly pal..........i mean yeah its a really great album, but its the worst katatonic one for me :headbang:

It's really beautiful album, very simplistic but the guitar melodies are really touching. To most people I guess this could get 'boring' but I've always thought of it as touching and comforting, to each his own

15 votes to dance
15 votes to viva

seems like an old vs new thingy.

the albums that got me less were viva and last fair deal (of course this album has killers song like future of speech and tonights decision, i think some songs are just unecessary). About Viva, well, nice progression and original thing they got going there.... but that's not katatonia, leads and the katatonic feeling is lacking (the album is good anyway)

LoboUivante said:
15 votes to dance
15 votes to viva

seems like an old vs new thingy.

the albums that got me less were viva and last fair deal (of course this album has killers song like future of speech and tonights decision, i think some songs are just unecessary). About Viva, well, nice progression and original thing they got going there.... but that's not katatonia, leads and the katatonic feeling is lacking (the album is good anyway)

Yeah, and the middle releases seems to be the best ones... And as a matter of fact my fave ones are DO & TD... maybe TD a little more, but that two records rules!. The LFDGD was the first one I heard, so there're songs therein that are emblematic for me, but I think it's not so good as DO & TD.

regards,
Vorthex

Seems to me there's more filler on the newer releases. BMD, DO and TD are to my mind brilliant from start to finish, LDFGD has some redundant songs (I Transpire = meh) and I don't care for half the songs off VE (and I positively LOATHE One Year From Now.)

I'll choose Dance of December Souls... only on account of the fact I havent heard it yet.

Personally, every album is great, they're all different. Some have awesome parts, some have some not so awesome parts. But they're definitely still one of my favourite bands.

I voted for 'Dance of December Souls' because like most people have already pointed out, it is more hit and miss than the other releases. There are some great moments, but I can't help get the feeling that they don't really know what they're trying to do with the album. Considering how old they were when they recorded it, I'm not surprised.

My favourite album from any genre remains to this day 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'. Don't ask me why, but it just hits me on so many levels and the production is simply phenomenal. I can't understand it when people say it lacks atmosphere or emotion- when the opening riff from 'Dispossession' starts my heart melts.

But yeah, I'd say 'DoDS' is quite easily the lesser of an amazing collection of albums.

Erik said:
LFDGD, no doubt... Liked it at first, can hardly stand listening to it anymore... In retrospect, it had very little of the Katatonia atmosphere and was far too superficial and poppy to stand the test of time. "Viva Emptiness" is far better but still second worst IMO.
Wrong wrong WRONG!!!

LFDGD has SO much more atmosphere and warmth (and 'doom' if you will) than VE, which overal is too cold and emotion-less. It's especially to blame on the production, which is too sharp, LFDGD has the ultimate new-style-Katatonia production, just perfect for them i.m.h.o. Katatonia + Sunlight studio = :worship:

Don't mean to 'attack' you man, I just couldn't disagree with you more on this one ;). Quite unsurprisingly my vote went to VE, just has too many uninteresting songs. Still, there's no Katatonia album I downright dislike, but VE I simply like least, but still songs like "A Premonition", "Burn The Remembrance" etc.. are absolutely beautiful..