Worst or less great Opeth songs

O - Requiem (one minute long, no highlights)
M - none (The five songs on Morningrise are my five favourite Opeth songs.)
MAYH - Credence (crap)
SL - Face Of Melinda (simply not as good as the others on Still Life but definitiely not one of my least favourites)
BP - Patterns In The Ivy (boring)
De - For Absent Friends (boring)
Da - Closure (crap)
GR - Hours Of Wealth (cheesy)

But I'd say out of all of those Credence is my least favourite.

And please remember that Opeth is still the best, and Credence is better than Wait and Bleed.

hey! I am in an opeth tribute band too! whats the name of your band?

anyway, every single posted "worst opeth song" on this thread and say to myself "OMG! are you kidding???" There isn't any of Opeth songs I don't really like. I find every single one of them at least very good

finding a song i really dont like is probably imposible.
what i can understand is to switch song when it comes randomly, cause in my opinion you have to see to context in which the song comes.
like MAYH, Im seeing it as a story, and I guess mike too (cause the lyrics comes in one go, not like GR, song by song)

that said, i can point on a cd and say it is less good than the other. (like GR is less good than... Deliverance, or MAYH...)

I love this thread - especially reading people's reactions to others' worst song choices. This thread makes for some fun debate. :)

polls being created about opeth's worst song...threads that end up having people bitch at each other because "i cant believe you think blah blah blah isnt a fucking godly song" it just seems like nothing good is coming out of these threads.

Just remember, bitchers, it's art. There's no right and wrong. Everyone gets something different out of the music. Keep that in mind and there should be no reason for hard feelings.

Now for me to take a stab at ruining someone's dreams. :cry: Here's what I am most likely to skip, going album-by-album:

"The Apostle in Triumph" - Doesn't seem to go anywhere.
"Nectar" - Someone please explain to me why so many people find this song great. All I hear is a rambling morass of un-catchy, un-intriguing riffs, no momentum anywhere, and a rather predictable melodic section with none of the appeal of the typical Opeth melody. Believe me, I've tried liking this song.
"The Amen Corner" - Pretty boring beginning. Overall, just too dreary and random-sounding to grab me anywhere. Acoustic sections are okay I guess.
"Serenity Painted Death" - This is a begrudging choice, as I like all of the songs on this album, but a few things about this one make me skip it every now and then. The opening riff (that is, about the first :40) is kinda silly sounding. Besides that, not a bad song really, but lyrics-wise and sound-wise a lot more horror-oriented than the other stuff on this album, so to me it disrupts the album's flow.
"Blackwater Park" - Again, nothing glaring, just really long and has nothing in it that I find catchy; thus, a song that I always feel I just have to sit through. The mellow part around 3:00 is pretty neat, though. I'd like to note that "The Funeral Portrait" would probably get the spot for worst if it weren't for that damn hot opening riff - the song's only redeeming quality for me.
"By the Pain I See in Others" - This is the only song on Deliverance which seems to lack direction. Sounds to me like a bunch of random thoughts the band had and just stuck together in some order. I also get kind of tired of the "rise to submission" part. Not a terrible song, though; plenty of really interesting parts, just not too cohesive.
"Weakness" - Repetitive, minimalistic, and depressing. After all the great acoustic work on Damnation, this just doesn't cut it.
"Hours of Wealth" - Not a bad song, just unimpressive compared to the other stuff on this album. Suffers nearly the same problems as "Weakness" does. If I could select a song segment for the 'worst' spot, I'd probably pick the intro to "Beneath the Mire" - what the hell is with that keyboard?

The Grand Conjuration
Beneath The Mire
Dirge For November
Weakness

Now for me to take a stab at ruining someone's dreams. :cry: Here's what I am most likely to skip, going album-by-album:

"The Apostle in Triumph" - Doesn't seem to go anywhere.
"Nectar" - Someone please explain to me why so many people find this song great. All I hear is a rambling morass of un-catchy, un-intriguing riffs, no momentum anywhere, and a rather predictable melodic section with none of the appeal of the typical Opeth melody. Believe me, I've tried liking this song.
"The Amen Corner" - Pretty boring beginning. Overall, just too dreary and random-sounding to grab me anywhere. Acoustic sections are okay I guess.
"Serenity Painted Death" - This is a begrudging choice, as I like all of the songs on this album, but a few things about this one make me skip it every now and then. The opening riff (that is, about the first :40) is kinda silly sounding. Besides that, not a bad song really, but lyrics-wise and sound-wise a lot more horror-oriented than the other stuff on this album, so to me it disrupts the album's flow.
"Blackwater Park" - Again, nothing glaring, just really long and has nothing in it that I find catchy; thus, a song that I always feel I just have to sit through. The mellow part around 3:00 is pretty neat, though. I'd like to note that "The Funeral Portrait" would probably get the spot for worst if it weren't for that damn hot opening riff - the song's only redeeming quality for me.
"By the Pain I See in Others" - This is the only song on Deliverance which seems to lack direction. Sounds to me like a bunch of random thoughts the band had and just stuck together in some order. I also get kind of tired of the "rise to submission" part. Not a terrible song, though; plenty of really interesting parts, just not too cohesive.
"Weakness" - Repetitive, minimalistic, and depressing. After all the great acoustic work on Damnation, this just doesn't cut it.
"Hours of Wealth" - Not a bad song, just unimpressive compared to the other stuff on this album. Suffers nearly the same problems as "Weakness" does. If I could select a song segment for the 'worst' spot, I'd probably pick the intro to "Beneath the Mire" - what the hell is with that keyboard?

wtf??? Apostle in Triumph?? Nectar?? The Amen Corner???? Hours of Wealth??? those are some amazing songs, especially Hours of Wealth :loco:

shame on you! :Smug:

The Amen Corner is one of my favorite opeth tunes and I love the slow melodic break towards the middle.

The openening riff mixed with acoustic in Nectar is one of my favorite riffs from opeth.

I forget if I posted in here yet or not.

Orchid: Not that familiar with the album so I'm not really sure...I just know it isn't "Twilight"

Morningrise: No idea, I like all the songs

MAYH: Credence. Ugh

Still Life: Impossible to pick, I love every song almost equally

BWP: Dirge for November. Aside from the incredible acoustic intro, there's nothing about it that I really dig.

Deliverance: Master's Apprentices. I LOVE the acoustic part in the middle but aside from that it bores me really bad.

Damnation: Weakness for obvious reasons

GR: Probably Hours of Wealth, but like another guy said, the beginning of Beneath the Mire is just a disgrace.

always the threads are about "the best...."

I play in a Opeth tribute band. the band was talking about what song will be the next to play and learn... the drummer said "let´s play moonlapse vertigo"
I said "no!!, let`s play a better song like White Cluster, By The Pain I See In Others or Wreath...

there are songs you dislike or like less than others?

my Opeth songs in that range:

dirge for november
funeral portrait
patterns in the ivy (I and II)
atonement
weakness
ending credits
all GR album except Ghost of Perdition and The Baying Of The Hounds

what are yours?

bye
Dirge For November and Ending Credits are brilliant songs. Dirge is even my clear favourite song on BWP!

worst Opeth songs:

Weakness - this song is pure boredom
Hour Of Wealth - first half is good, then it gets too chesy
Face Of Melinda - the worst song on SL. the forced rhymes sound crappy imo

It's hard to name Opeth's worst songs because they really don't have any downright bad ones.
Reverie/Harlequin Forest-There are some good parts, but it's just overall a mediocre song, several minutes too long
Weakness- Not a bad song, just nothing spectacular
Dirge for November- I do absolutely love about half of the song, but there's a few meh parts that drag it down... still a nice song though
The Apostle in Triumph- The intro and last few minutes are beautiful, but the middle is a little boring to me... there are some not too smooth transitions in a couple of parts
Credence- Works well in the context of MAYH, but is a mediocre song by itself.

Runners up (or down?)- Serenity Painted Death, Hours of Wealth, The Funeral Portrait

....WTF is wrong with the beginning of Beneath The Mire? What so the first 50 seconds or so of keyboard make the whole song bad? Retarded logic.

BTM has some of the best key usage since Damnation.

....WTF is wrong with the beginning of Beneath The Mire? What so the first 50 seconds or so of keyboard make the whole song bad? Retarded logic.

Actually I really like the song. The beginning doesn't ruin it for me, it's just fucking wierd. o_O The rest of the song definitely kicks ass.

BTM has some of the best key usage since Damnation.

+1 it is indeed some of the best keys since Damnation

wtf is wrong with Credence? its a brilliant song! definitely my favourite mellow Opeth song.

Yeah wtf dude?! Credence kicks hearse! I mean arse

Doesn't make the whole song bad but it sure makes it less good, and it doesn't help that the rest of the song is pretty lame too :\