Worst produced/recorded album

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalRiffa

Jun 2, 2010
What is the worst you know of? Try to stick to relatively well known bands, as obviously poor bands have shit budgets to record with. Also some bands have intentionally low-fi production so keep that in mind.
Personally the worst i can think of is metallica and justice for all, hate the mid scooped guitar tone, and where the fuck is the bass? I wish it would be redone so i could enjoy it.

Coroner - RIP (if I listen to this on headphones, people can make out every note of the guitar thanks to the highest-pitched/scrapiest tone ever)
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence (even early Bathory's vocals are less buried)
Dio - Dream Evil (used to not mind it, but it sounds so compressed and powerless now, especially compared to the first two Dio albums)
Trouble - Manic Impressions (everything sounds overly metallic here; scrapy guitars, tinny vocals, clanky drums, easily the worst Rick Rubin production I know of)

yes yes, st. anger too

Each and every metal album Steven Wilson produced.

He fucked Opeth's sounds, removed the rawness and atmosphere from it, and reduced it to a ProTools wankfest with "perfect" notes everywhere and heavy usage in software in editing.

He also fucked Orphaned Land. The Never Ending Way of the Orwarrior should have been produced by Dan Swano.

1169.jpg

Each and every metal album Steven Wilson produced.

He fucked Opeth's sounds, removed the rawness and atmosphere from it, and reduced it to a ProTools wankfest with "perfect" notes everywhere and heavy usage in software in editing.

He also fucked Orphaned Land. The Never Ending Way of the Orwarrior should have been produced by Dan Swano.

I disagree completely. While I'm not a big fan of Wilson's vocal production (I definitely prefer MAYH/Still Life growls to BWP) the rest of the production on BWP is fantastic. The guitars are absolutely crushing, and the drums are really tight. It fits the music. The riffing and heaviness of BWP would not have fitted the rawer production of the previous albums - but it didn't remove the atmosphere. I still get chills listening to the end of The Leper Affinity or the brutal outro of BWP.

Blackwater Park will impress the occasional/moody Opeth listener because of its production values, and seemingly monstrous riffs. It's catchy as hell.

Seasoned Opeth fans tend to dislike it, because upon repeated listens, it loses its value once you see that there is little substance beneath the polish.

As opposed to albums like Orchid or Morningrise where the several layers of sound adds a sense of depth that is only enjoyed through multiple listens. Masterfully crafted twin guitar harmonies / counterpoints, varied vocals (in later albums, Mikael totally abandonded the blackmetalish shrieks in favour of his signature death metal vocals), and really complex songwriting.

The more I listen to Blackwater Park, I tend to dislike it. As opposed to the older albums, that keep on growing on you the more you listen to them.

Steven Wilson knows what he does, and what he does, although it appeals to a lot of people (as evidenced by the couple of earlier posts), totally rapes the "hunger" and the ferocity out of the bands he produces for.

Few points:

1. I love how you speak on behalf of "seasoned" Opeth fans. Opeth are, and probably will be, the band that has influenced me most musically. Your opinions are yours, not anyone elses.

2. The songwriting on the first two albums was immature. The songs on Orchid and Morningrise (BRI being the biggest culprit) meander and wander without purpose, only to be interrupted by a sudden drum fill, completely out of place. This was still around partially on MAYH and Still Life. BWP is where the band really found its true songwriting prowess.

3. Mikael has often spoken of how tired he got of the Gothenburg twin-guitar sound, and why he changed the style. The riffs on BWP are awesome. Nuff said. They provide a root for the parts of the song, without taking attention away from the vocals. The riffs flow into and out of each other seemlessly, something that Opeth weren't easily able to do before.

4. Your issues are with BWP and the way its written. Wilson's production fitted around what Mike wrote. I think you're blaming the wrong person.

(Apologies everyone, guess we haven't had a good Opethgument in a while)

Few points:

1. I love how you speak on behalf of "seasoned" Opeth fans. Opeth are, and probably will be, the band that has influenced me most musically.

I did not intend my argument to be taken as such, and I'm not interested in dabbling into a "who's the bigger opeth fan(boy)" dribble.

Your opinions are yours, not anyone elses.

No shit. I thought they were Celine Dion's.

Either you're stating the obvious, or you're arrogantly implying that no one could possibly agree with me, hence my opinion being solely my own. Either way, that was uncalled for.

2. The songwriting on the first two albums was immature. The songs on Orchid and Morningrise (BRI being the biggest culprit) meander and wander without purpose, only to be interrupted by a sudden drum fill, completely out of place. This was still around partially on MAYH and Still Life. BWP is where the band really found its true songwriting prowess.

3. Mikael has often spoken of how tired he got of the Gothenburg twin-guitar sound, and why he changed the style. The riffs on BWP are awesome. Nuff said. They provide a root for the parts of the song, without taking attention away from the vocals. The riffs flow into and out of each other seemlessly, something that Opeth weren't easily able to do before.

That's your opinion and your opinion only. Next !

Just kidding =)

Yes. Anyone who has heard about Google and/or Wikipedia can type "Opeth", and read the things you wrote, about Akerfedlt being sick and tired of songwriting à la Orchid/Morningrise, and how he believes his later albums had a stronger sense of direction. Nothing new here.

I happen to disagree with Mikael/Opeth about the progression of his bands' music, just like I disagree with In Flames, Metallica, Cryptopsy, etc. regarding their opinions about their newer releases.

Granted, Opeth's newer work is much more solid than the aforementioned bands in comparison with their earlier works, but you have to understand that an artist claiming that his newer work is his best comes off as a cliché.

Mikael has often spoken of how tired he got of the Gothenburg twin-guitar sound

I'll have to disagree with you and Mikael about this one. All of Gothenburg's death metal scene doesn't have shit on early Opeth, specifically when it comes to crafting dual harmonies. Only Jon Nordveit stands out besides Opeth (and of course, Iron fucking Maiden) in counterpoint songwriting. I see Orchid and Morningrise as timeless gems, and that is directly linked to how the music is layered.

My Arms, and Still life had less layers in the music, but still, the atmosphere and the ferocity were still there. They started eroding with BWP.

4. Your issues are with BWP and the way its written. Wilson's production fitted around what Mike wrote. I think you're blaming the wrong person.

Not the way it's written, the way it's produced. Wilson, IMO, castrated Opeth in that album, just like he castrated Orphaned Land on The Neverending way, transforming their music from raging doom/death metal that fused authentic Middle Eastern folk in their music, to an inoffensive, gimmicky version of Dream Theater. Then again, I'm not criticizing the songwriting, per se, but the overall album production.

(Apologies everyone, guess we haven't had a good Opethgument in a while)

:)

Regards.

just like he castrated Orphaned Land on The Neverending way, transforming their music from raging doom/death metal that fused authentic Middle Eastern folk in their music, to an inoffensive, gimmicky version of Dream Theater.

Did you not fucking listen to Mabool or something? It was hardly "raging doom/death;" the riffs were solidly metal, but they sounded more like Godsmack than any doom/death band. ORwarriOR was a very different album because it was written years later and completely different stylistically; the production was different, yes, but because the music was different as well. I like your username and avatar, and clearly you can spell properly, but you don't seem to be thinking clearly here. I couldn't give two shits about the progression between Opeth albums (actually, that phrase made me crack up), but I'm with Savern on this. Your favorite band changed their sound and you're blaming it on the production. Do you think Bob Rock killed Metallica as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.