Worst produced/recorded album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last comment - honest!

There's not much I can say if you're going to disagree with the guy who actually wrote the albums. All bands are going to say that their happy with the latest album and its the best work ever etc. Otherwise what was the point of making it?

I agree that Orchid and Morningrise are great albums, especially in the context of their time period, but I think an awful lot of "seasoned" ;) Opeth fans put them up on a pedestal that they don't deserve.

MAYH/Still Life more ferocious than BWP? I feel like I'm being trolled now. MAYH, maybe, just maybe, gets near the power of BWP, but Still Life (excluding SPD and WC) has an overhwhelming feel of sorrow, loss and yearning. I'm still interested in these layers you're talking about as well - its not like BWP didn't have twin guitar parts (albeit far less than the first 2 albums)

As for Wilson, I still disagree. Mike had written the majority of the material and sent wilson the demo tapes before he agreed to produce it. The production didn't change the album to the degree you're making out it did. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on Opeth's albums post-BWP, and whether you think the Wilson influence continued to ruin it. Although, for the sake of the board, maybe not in this thread.

Did you not fucking listen to Mabool or something? It was hardly "raging doom/death;" the riffs were solidly metal, but they sounded more like Godsmack than any doom/death band.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mabool. While it's inoffensive compared the raging Sahara and El Norra Allila, It was still genuine middle eastern folk/death metal.

My issue with The Neverending Way is that it was way too proggish. Too much Porcupine Tree imbued in it.

Do you think Bob Rock killed Metallica as well?

I don't mind Metallica's new direction, save for the unspeakable album.

I actually enjoy their hard rock/modern rock albums (Metallica/Load/Reload and Death Magnetic to a lesser extent). Absolutely love Kirk Hammett's bluesy guitar work.

Your favorite band changed their sound and you're blaming it on the production

In Steven Wilson's case, definitely. It's no coincidence that every metal band he produces for end up sounding like Porcupine Tree with harsh vocals.

The problem, then, is people writing music influenced by Porcupine Tree and then Steve Wilson produces their stuff?

I also really don't here much in the way of death metal on Mabool. Not that it matters. I agree that they definitely moved in a far more progish direction on ORwarriOR.

My question with the Bob Rock thing was that a lot of people blame him for making them all commercial on the s/t. I don't know the details and don't care, but it sounds to me like they wanted to go in a more commercial direction, wrote more commercial music, and then got a more commercial producer. Just like Orphaned Land wanted to go in a more progish direction, wrote more proggy music, and got a proggy producer.

Also, I've definitely heard Akerfeldt say Porcupine Tree is his favorite band, I think. Maybe being Captain Obvious here, but that might explain why he wanted a similar production.

Anything too glossy/overproduced.

Each and every metal album Steven Wilson produced.

He fucked Opeth's sounds, removed the rawness and atmosphere from it, and reduced it to a ProTools wankfest with "perfect" notes everywhere and heavy usage in software in editing.

He also fucked Orphaned Land. The Never Ending Way of the Orwarrior should have been produced by Dan Swano.

Agreed and agreed. Over-produced albums are only good if you're on effing DXM, and even then, the raw ones are still better. And when it comes to Opeth, the first two records have the best sound by-far. The songwriting isn't as good, but the production is lightyears ahead of everything else they would do. Frankly it's above the production on most records anyone's ever done. It sounds so raw and organic, like you're standing right inside the song, or they're playing live in the middle of a forest.

No one's mentioned The Red In The Sky Is Ours? I know that some people think that the production adds to the atmosphere, but listen to Gardens Of Grief, I wouldn't say that it loses anything just because it has a more organic production.

No one's mentioned The Red In The Sky Is Ours? I know that some people think that the production adds to the atmosphere, but listen to Gardens Of Grief, I wouldn't say that it loses anything just because it has a more organic production.

Agreed.

Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality" original mix also comes to mind. Could be a better album if the production wasn't so damn atrocious.

Do you have the remastered ones released a couple years ago? I've always wondered if that hideous brick-walling was less severe on other versions. Not many people seem to complain about it, terrible as it is.

No, I've got the original that I bought when it came out. I'd be interested to hear if the remastering helped at all. It's a shame, because Unquestionable Presence has one of the best Scott Burns productions that he did imo.

No, I've got the original that I bought when it came out. I'd be interested to hear if the remastering helped at all. It's a shame, because Unquestionable Presence has one of the best Scott Burns productions that he did imo.

I have the remastered Elements album and the production sounds great. I've never heard the original so I can't compare.

Nattans Madrigal is the worst production I've ever heard (and yes, I know it was done on purpose).

Atheist - Elements

Totally. I was reading through this thread with this album in mind.

Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality" original mix also comes to mind. Could be a better album if the production wasn't so damn atrocious.

You know I had the original version for quite a while before getting the remaster, and I was never unhappy with it. But I have been unhappy with the production on Politics of Ecstasy from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.