Worst produced/recorded album

Status
Not open for further replies.
twist.jpg

Worst production

Worst production

Yeah I agree. So many power metal albums lose a lot in the overproduction. Finnish bands seem to be the main offenders. Power metal should have decent production, but having everything sound super clean and crisp robs recordings of grit and power. A lot of Melodic Death and Tech Death albums suffer from this problem as well.

If you listen closely on A Twist in the Myth the drums sound like if someone was banging together two empty gallon water bottles. Its atrocious!

1%20gallon%20poland%20spring.jpg

This is what I always picture. The album is decent with powerless production, ruins everything.

I like the sound of ...And Justice for All personally, but I do agree that objectively it's terribly produced. I love Jason's bass playing on the album, but it doesn't sound right with bass in the mix. No disrespect towards Jason, and the songs do sound great live with bass. I find that the production on that album is part of it's character and uniqueness nowadays.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carcass' first album yet, Reek of Putrefaction. The guitars get lost underneath the drums, especially when Ken Owen is playing blast beats; the vocals are extremely high in the mix too, and the bass is as muddy as, well, mud. "The first vinyl pressings of the album needed to be pressed at lower volumes as the bass frequencies were so low (sometimes reaching 25 Hz) that they risked rendering higher frequencies inaudible", says the Wiki page, and my question is; what higher frequencies? I don't hear any especially high-pitched frequencies, but maybe that's because they really are inaudible now. Either way, like Justice, it's become part of the album's (disgusting) legacy and I still enjoy both of these records.

The worst metal record as far as production goes would have to be the new Ghost record (in my opinion; don't kill me Ghost fans). So perfect, so clean... And yet so boring and typical for a mainstream metal act like Ghost. We've heard this sterile production a million times before, now shuffle along so another lackluster band can take your place for the next five minutes.

Reactions: CiG
Status
Not open for further replies.