Worst written Opeth song.

Mar 12, 2006
I would never really say that opeth has horribly written songs, because well, they dont. I do believe that some of the stuff off of their first album sounds super silly though. And some of the lyrics on damnation where not to bright, not to say that they didnt have their well written songs.

"In solitude I wander....
Through the vast enchanted forest
The surrounding skies are one
Torn apart by the phenomenon of lightning
Rain is pouring down my (now) shivering shoulders
In the rain my tears are forever lost"
As much as I love the Apostle In triumph, enchanted forst made me laugh.

yeah, so DISCUSS!

SextoyAddiction said:
I would never really say that opeth has horribly written songs, because well, they dont. I do believe that some of the stuff off of their first album sounds super silly though. And some of the lyrics on damnation where not to bright, not to say that they didnt have their well written songs.

"In solitude I wander....
Through the vast enchanted forest
The surrounding skies are one
Torn apart by the phenomenon of lightning
Rain is pouring down my (now) shivering shoulders
In the rain my tears are forever lost"
As much as I love the Apostle In triumph, enchanted forst made me laugh.

yeah, so DISCUSS!

hmmm, i think these are very well written lyrics and they fit the style of the album very well.

i cant stand the grand conjuration. ive tried as hard as anyone can to dig that song, but i never will enjoy it.

BTPISIO is one of those songs that really has to grow on you. it took me years to get into this song, and now i enjoy it. there are some parts i dont care for, but it's good IMO.

the thing with opeth is that they incline to be way too repetitive in some of their riffs, and it just gets boring after a while. They take one riff and repeat it again and again; first altering the drum beat, then adding an acoustic guitar layer, then adding keys maybe, all over the same riff, they play it like 8 times. The finest example that comes to my head at the moment is the intro of Moonlapse Vertigo. It gets old very quickly.

A. Iverson said:
the thing with opeth is that they incline to be way too repetitive in some of their riffs, and it just gets boring after a while. They take one riff and repeat it again and again; first altering the drum beat, then adding an acoustic guitar layer, then adding keys maybe, all over the same riff, they play it like 8 times. The finest example that comes to my head at the moment is the intro of Moonlapse Vertigo. It gets old very quickly.
Some of us really enjoy that aspect of their music.

i haven't listened to much of orchid or morningrise, but, in beneath the mire, the first clean section, (which is basically an intro to THE clean section) erks me....so thats my vote.

FRUGiHOYi said:
Some of us really enjoy that aspect of their music.

well yeah i guess its a matter of opinion, but for me it just ruins the song. Especially as it first takes me a while to get used to it, then i enjoy it for a brief period, then i get bored with it. Dont get me wrong, its not bad on some songs, but on others it just has a detrimental effect (in my opinion only)

A. Iverson said:
The finest example that comes to my head at the moment is the intro of Moonlapse Vertigo. It gets old very quickly.
i love that part, awesome intro, gets even better when they play the same riff but just acoustic before mike starts singing

A. Iverson said:
That is something i love about Opeth. Especially in Moonalpse Vertigo's intro! I like it when riffs build up layer by layer. Repetition ftw!11!1!

Erm.. Orchid in all, parts of Morningrise, By The Pain I See In Others, Atonement and The Grand Conjuration. For me, those are the only times when Opeth have ever written anything bad. The rest of the time i think what they have done is superb.