Worst written Opeth song.

Aarohi said:
As for the song names being abbreviated.. you are displaying nothing but your fanboy-ness when you do that. One shouldn't have to go browse his library to find out what you're talking about. Be sufficiently descriptive. Thats the purpose of humans having language at all. Get other humans to understand what you're saying.. not just your own kind.

Let's all calm down.

SextoyAddiction said:
And some of the lyrics on damnation where not to bright

were not too bright*

Well, English is not Mike's first language. On top of this, most metal lyrics tend to lack depth. I mean:

Death metal...you can only be so serious about lacerations and swallowing glass for more than three songs...
Power metal... dragons...fucking dragons
Metal in general...hatred, loss, death
Black metal...darkness

I would say Mike tries to incorporate a lot into his lyrics. We all know he uses the Thesaurus, which has its ups and downs, but they're not exactly the same thing every time. Yes, there are reoccurring themes...but fairly well executed. The first two albums are kind of like the first few weeks in a Creative Writing class, he just had to find some style. My Arms, Your Hearse showed a great progression in style and conception.

So yeah, he does have some cheesy lines/confusing lines but I attribute it to a. Orchid (as the focal point here), the lyrics really don't mean anything (Mike has stated this) and b. English is a second language for him.

As for "enchanted forest", not as funny as the way "you are in a forest unknown" is sung in Black Rose Immortal. :lol:

TNATSW
Nectar
BRI

Morningrise is my least favorite album. As a whole I find these tracks to be their poorest. Advent & To Bid You Farewell are so much better, but don't save the album for me.

opeth8 said:
TNATSW
Nectar
BRI

Morningrise is my least favorite album. As a whole I find these tracks to be their poorest. Advent & To Bid You Farewell are so much better, but don't save the album for me.

:puke: Advent rocks

Morningrise is very poetic, vague, I like his style of writting and wish he would return to that type of ............ let's say atmosphere.

BTPISIO what an awful fucking train wreck

"outside in the park ..... " can't even bring myself to type the rest

cmon Mikey boy you can obviously do better

What is wrong with Orchid and Morningrise?? I agree that there is a lot of progress in the music since those albums, but also a big shift in style.
I love those two albums, although they have their faults of course (mainly production, wich is normal for every band on their first albums I guess).
Perhaps some parts on those albums might be some experimentation went wrong, but still ...
For me, those two albums (together with Still Life) have the most emotions on them, it's poetry through music ... perhaps most people in this thread are more fans of their later work, and it's a matter of taste, but to say that Orchid and Morningrise weren't written well ......
Both albums are amazing and show high complexity in song structure. The songs tell their own story and the voice is used as an extra instrument, while perhaps now the music is less meant to stand on it's own and the voice and thus lyrics have come to the foreground more.
(perhaps the first two albums can be compared more with the band Agalloch than the later ones).

But to make clear: I'm as much a fan of their later work as of their first albums. Opeth's style has simply shifted several times, and thus far I love every style they have written in (perhaps some day they'll create some music I won't like, I'll see). But I can understand if people can't related to very different styles of music equally.

Botfly said:
The Grand Conjuration & By the Pain I See in Others are the only other songs that aren't very good and poorly written.

~ I agree with The Grand Conjuration, and that is the song Opeth used for their MTV video! What were they thinking?

I think it's funny that so many Opeth fans will live and die with the first two releases...the tracks on the albums, while I still enjoy them, don't display a hint of actual SONGWRITING. There are NO recurring thematic elements in the music, the sections transition jarringly with little thought to flow. There's a reason why they sound different now; just ask Mikael what he thought of Orchid/Morningrise. BRI is like, 10 or 11 3 minute songs jammed into one sprawling, directionless monster. I can't even remember how Nectar goes, and I've listened to the album a million times. To Bid You Farewell is the best thing from that album, IMO. I like Advent a lot also. As for Orchid, again, I like the tracks from it, but I am very very glad that their songwriting style has changed dramatically since then. Fanboys of the older material need to understand that THE BAND THEMSELVES prefer not to play this material, for these very reasons.

ELPsteel said:
I think it's funny that so many Opeth fans will live and die with the first two releases...the tracks on the albums, while I still enjoy them, don't display a hint of actual SONGWRITING. There are NO recurring thematic elements in the music, the sections transition jarringly with little thought to flow. There's a reason why they sound different now; just ask Mikael what he thought of Orchid/Morningrise. BRI is like, 10 or 11 3 minute songs jammed into one sprawling, directionless monster. I can't even remember how Nectar goes, and I've listened to the album a million times. To Bid You Farewell is the best thing from that album, IMO. I like Advent a lot also. As for Orchid, again, I like the tracks from it, but I am very very glad that their songwriting style has changed dramatically since then. Fanboys of the older material need to understand that THE BAND THEMSELVES prefer not to play this material, for these very reasons.

If you want recurring elements, listen to Ildjarn or rap. I myself can't see a link between songwriting and "flow" or "direction" as you put it unless you're trying to write a classical piece, which Opeth clearly isn't. Maybe you're mistaking content for form? Maybe you can elaborate

I think that alot of Opeths old and new stuff drags on with their strummed riffs sounding the same ascending pattern, but they are so good at what they do. Their old and new stuff sounds like (as ELPsteel said) a few different songs put together in one big song, Black rose immortal should be an album lol.I still think they are one of the best bands in existance but their music drags on and some times get boring and out of (musical) context, if that doesnt make sence then what i mean is that they will go from one really heavy bit to a mad acoustic bit that doesnt fit in any were.

Black Rose Immortal
Don't get me wrong, this song is not in any way *bad*, but it is so completely overrated by so many people here. I think when you look at it objectively it does not need to be 20 minutes long (15 minutes tops and even that is pushing it) and it does not flow all that well overall.

Weakness
I don't know how far this song was even really 'written', but it's such a lame song. When you combine the creative talent of people like Mikael and Steven Wilson you just expect more than this. Or I do anyway. Very anti-climactic ending to an already not mindblowingly amazing album.

The Grand Conjuration
Has already been mentioned a zillion times in this thread probably, and rightfully so. It sticks out like a sore thumb on GR.

well, bri is disjointed and everything but few other opeth songs have as much emotion in them as that one. when i first listened to it, i was floored. i could be much better with transitions that make some sort of sense but the parts themselves are still beautiful.