Worst written Opeth song.

I don't flat out dislike any opeth songs. I obviously like some more than others, but i guess the one i think is least well done is the amen corner. I like parts of it, but it just never struck me as a great composition. And i'd agree about black rose immortal, but i like more about that song than The amen corner.

The Grand Conjuration
Has already been mentioned a zillion times in this thread probably, and rightfully so. It sticks out like a sore thumb on GR.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that was intentional. Why does everyone want "cookie cutter" Opeth.
BRI 20 minutes long who cares...maybe that is what they wanted, whenever something is out of the ordinary people start bitching. If that's the case go listen to Backstreet Boys and call it a day!o_O

i find that sometimes opeth use alot of the same words over and over again in different songs. :\

NineFeetUnderground said:
black rose immortal. its a train wreck. some nice licks in it though.
"train wreck" is pushing it, i think, but obviously it's not one of their better songs

Lothlorien said:
hmmm, i think these are very well written lyrics and they fit the style of the album very well.

i cant stand the grand conjuration. ive tried as hard as anyone can to dig that song, but i never will enjoy it.
That main riff does get pretty repetitive, but i liked it the first few times i listened to it.

westknadrian said:
"train wreck" is pushing it, i think, but obviously it's not one of their better songs

the problem is they tried to go the extra mile and hit that 20 minute mark. too bad it was a "black rose immortal" and not "a change of seasons"

I love just about every track Opeth has released....That being said,I still for the life of me will never understand why people bash Orchid and Morningrise?!

When I first found Opeth I went and started with those two...From bottom to present-Maybe that is why some of us are able to Appreciate them more?,Instead of starting where ever and then going back-Having that order or whatever order to then compare to?!

Orchid and Morningrise are "differnt" but In my Humble Opinion that is what makes Opeth who they are and what makes every album an Adventure,Experience and "Movement"-I think these two are Fantastic in Their own right.
I have problems finding fault,I guess if you are looking for the negative and something to pick apart,you will surely come away with what you sought out to find in the first place!?

Appreciate the Diversityand the positive and stop bitching...Or maybe next record you can text message your "Ideals" and opinions of what is "good" to Mikael & the band.

Appologies but some of you Individuals make me sick.

I'm sure the band themselves don't dislike those two first albums as much as some here say they do. They've worked years to create that music, and yes, they have changed a couple of times already, but that's because their music taste and talent is so diversive ... there is no such thing as one kind of good music ...

the term "good songwriting" itself isn't fit to apply to Orchid and Morningrise, because the music on those albums are NOT songs! ... they are musical works, not defined by repetitive riffs, returning chorus, and so on ...
they are stories told through music in my opinion, and in this way it's not impossible to have such different parts in one "song" ...
if anything, the repetitiveness on some later songs bother me sometimes (although other times I love it, depends on my musical mood).

Black Session said:
I'm sure the band themselves don't dislike those two first albums as much as some here say they do. They've worked years to create that music, and yes, they have changed a couple of times already, but that's because their music taste and talent is so diversive ... there is no such thing as one kind of good music ...

the term "good songwriting" itself isn't fit to apply to Orchid and Morningrise, because the music on those albums are NOT songs! ... they are musical works, not defined by repetitive riffs, returning chorus, and so on ...
they are stories told through music in my opinion, and in this way it's not impossible to have such different parts in one "song" ...
if anything, the repetitiveness on some later songs bother me sometimes (although other times I love it, depends on my musical mood).
this deserves a third post

biggsy said:
Really? Do you mind stating a source or anything, coz I'm sort of curious.

I'll search for the interview. Mike said that he wasn't really sure what to do with the lyrics and they didn't really mean anything to him which was why Morningrise's lyrics were so different.

I'll post the link when I find it...

i thought harlequin forest was quite good. the last part was a little unexpected, but not in any way bad. the clean riff at 5:58 is majestic.