Would you accept re-done vocals on self titled Theocracy album?

Jacob777

Nov 22, 2011
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
So with the news that they're re-releasing the Theocracy album in the interview thread. Matt said he's going to go over the mixing and drums (probably add real drums), yet he wants to do more, but at the same time doesn't want to upset fans by re-doing too much. Which I can understand.

So i'm just wondering how many of yall wouldn't mind if he re-did the vocals on it too. I personally don't think it sounds bad, but think it could sound a lot better after hearing what he can do now compared to then.

I ask cause this is only going to happen once, so what's done is done. So why not upgrade that part too to get it up to par with the awesomeness of the last two albums vocally since it's a re-release.

Also, since i'm sure at least 80% of the hardcore fans come here, maybe they/we can have a voice on the matter so he wouldn't feel bad or would feel excited about doing it if we supported the idea. From what's in the interview, it sounds like he wants to but doesn't know how we would accept it.

Ima buy the Album regardless when it gets re-released. But i'd support him re-doing the vocals, what about you?

A "complete overhaul" could do the album good, but I think many would also like to get their hands on the "original".

Maybe it would be good to redo just some of those for a "Best of..."?

A "complete overhaul" could do the album good, but I think many would also like to get their hands on the "original".

Maybe it would be good to redo just some of those for a "Best of..."?

I personally would think that AMAZING, as he is a better singer now....and has Shawn :headbang:

And a best of..... would MAKE My DAY!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

I am sure I wouldn't like it. For me, vocals are one of those things where I get used to the phrasing on the original and when I fall in love with it, that's what I like. While I love going to live shows, this is probably why I never, ever enjoy "live" ablums - it's just too different.

While I'm sure new vocals would be technically "better", I would find them to be a disappointment because it would radically change the songs I've come to know and love. I have this same problem when I fall in love with a band's demo songs and then hear the final versions :erk:

Also, since i'm sure at least 80% of the hardcore fans come here...

I *highly* doubt this. I guess it depends on how you define hardcore fan, but the large majority of music fans never go on band message boards. Just in my town, I would say I know at least 6-7 hardcore Theocracy fans and I am the only one here.

Maybe one song would require more things to be redone than the other song. I trust Matt in this.

I would, yes, because it would show the progression from the original album (which I have on CD) to the vocal style Matt is doing now. So, if you do decide to redo the vocals, Matt, go for it! I'll definitely buy the re-release!

Are we going to get new guitar work from Val and a bonus track?
Since I own the original, I'd be happy for the re-release to be very different.

But:
...I trust Matt in this.

I agree. I trust Matt.
Why speculate? If he wants our opinions, I'm sure he can post a questionnaire.

I own the original, so I would be fine if it was given a major overhaul. But I'd probably also buy it even if just drums were redone. I'm sure whatever treatment Matt gives it would sound great to my ears!

I would love to hear a new version of the songs on the first album. I love the songs, but Matt's pitch is way off in a lot of places. I know he could do 100% better now. I feel like re-releasing that album without redoing at least the vocals and the drums would likely give many people the wrong idea about how good a band Theocracy is (if they happened to hear songs from the first album without hearing songs from the later ones). The first album was where Matt showed his potential. MoS and AtWB show what he and the band can really do. I'd love to hear a re-recorded version, though.

My vote is for a complete do-over. Take the lyrics and the melodies (and the keys in which they were sung) and keep those the same, but redo the vocals, drums, bass, keys, and guitars. I think Matt should still play guitar like he did originally (because he did quite an awesome job), but add a bit of Val and Jon to the mix with their more technical solo work, and you'll have a fresh, and even more awesome album.

Just my humble opinion.

---Prem

I think that, considering the re-issue will open that album to a lot more exposure, something in Theocracy's history would be lost if the re-issue replaced anything more than the (painful) drum machine: The impressiveness of what Matt was able to accomplish was what made that album so popular. However...

prem said:
My vote is for a complete do-over. Take the lyrics and the melodies (and the keys in which they were sung) and keep those the same, but redo the vocals, drums, bass, keys, and guitars. I think Matt should still play guitar like he did originally (because he did quite an awesome job), but add a bit of Val and Jon to the mix with their more technical solo work, and you'll have a fresh, and even more awesome album.
I also would like to hear this.

So, perhaps in the future, when Theocracy's budget is more forgiving and long after the original album has been simply re-issued with minor changes, I would like to see the band go back and give the first album a makeover. I don't think that it is a project to take on right now: That would almost certainly postpone the production of new material and building of a catalogue which, at this point, would be the best investment of time and resources.

Actually, Matt should redo the drums with this:

---Prem

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to envision power/speed metal to those sounds now. It reminds me of the disorientation that I felt at the ending part of the Mirror of Souls April Fool's teaser.

That teaser was so epic....

"I see Granny in the mirror of soooouuulllls.
A hootenanny in the mirror of souuulllllss."

I would like to see the album completely reworked from the bottom up with the current band. I wouldn't mind seeing the band contribute some ideas to make slight structural and melody changes in some if the songs as needed.

I would accept re-recorded vocals, but I wouldn't mind that much if they stayed like that. One thing that isn't good about them is that sometimes the consonants have extra noise to them, something which was eliminated in MoS with probably better recording.

The solos are much weaker than AtWB, and they usually just play the melody of the chorus. If they were slightly redone I think they would be awesome.

Another thing I don't like is in The Serpent's Kiss when the preacher speaks. I feel like that section is too long and not interesting enough... which is a shame, because the rest of the song is one of THE best Theocracy songs, even to this day.

I personally would be happy if Theocracy postponed the 4th CD to deliver us a re-mixed and sliiiightly redone album. But I realize how many people, including the band themselves, might not want this :p

As a side note, despite not being drum-heavy or in need of a better solo (it already has many awesome melodies), I feel like Sinner would benefit A LOT from a remix. It will sound Epic! And I mean the literal definition of the word.

tl;dr
Why not wait til the band has 5-6 albums and then re-release the first album, this way it's just silly...will they remake it for a third try after a couple of more albums?