Writing Dark Lyrics

sages

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2007
I want to start writing dark lyrics similar to Opeth but I don't where to start. How do I write in that style?

if you want to write creative and expressive lyrics, the first step would probably be not to downright copy opeth's style of lyrics, or ask other people how they would write dark lyrics themselves.

read books. start with the thread samsara regretfully just closed.

reading = knowledge & vocabulary, => tools for communicating emotions.
experiencing 'dark' emotion is up to you. everyone has their own interpretation or influence.

yeh building up vocab is a good idea. scrabble anyone?:p

just wait until an emotional time then let rip... you wont have any problems with content or ideas then. then its just choosing the right words.

Heres what you do.

Open up word and type something like this:

I would like to write dark lyrics but i dont have the knowledge to use those kinds of words, there must be a simple way of doing it without being educated.

Use the synonym generator to give yourself a fantastic, pretentious way of writing. You will be the envy of all your online gaming friends.

I would be fond of to inscribe mysterious libretto but i dont encompass the acquaintance to employ those kinds of prose, there ought to be a effortless way of exploit it devoid of being erudite.

Welcome to the new age folks

Definitely read Poe, and rhyme using assonance in consonance. It creates more words to choose from and looks more professional than rhyming words like "cow" and "how" Also write using anapestic, not iambic because iambic has more strong words, and loud, strong words do not go well with dark poetry.

Definitely read Poe, and rhyme using assonance in consonance. It creates more words to choose from and looks more professional than rhyming words like "cow" and "how" Also write using anapestic, not iambic because iambic has more strong words, and loud, strong words do not go well with dark poetry.

Are you one of my former students? Sounds like info straight from one of my courses. (btw, I assume you mean assonance and consonance, as doing both simultaneously would yield the same word!).

read books. start with the thread samsara regretfully just closed.

Samsara closes a lot of threads.

Also, about dark lyrics, they should be pretty simple when you're feeling dark. If you're not then you'd probably have a hard time and there's no point in writing them in the first place. Anyway, dark lyrics are overused, somebody needs to be more upbeat.

i've always found that to be really superficial though. :lol:
it sounds more complicated- but it doesn't say anything more complex.

Yeah, that's one problem I have with Opeth. Purposely trying to sound like dark and sophisticated and whatnot. They're not even native english speakers.