Yngwie is still the man

Ye, and John Norum played in that 80s rather fast, he was rather young! Shred would exist without Yngwie but Yngwie is a good shredder! And Tony shredded in 80s very successfully!

Yurti said:
Ye, and John Norum played in that 80s rather fast, he was rather young! Shred would exist without Yngwie but Yngwie is a good shredder! And Tony shredded in 80s very successfully!

Thats great, but if you check my timeline, Yngwie still did it a few years before those guys. John Norum's first album came out in 87. MacAlpine's was 85. Yngwie's was 83.

Again like I said, if someone can show me a metal guitarist who played like Yngwie before 1981-2 (when his demos started circulating) then I will take back everything I said about Yngwie being the godfather of shred guitar.

rockyracoon said:
Of course the show centers on him, but that doesnt need to come at the expense of the mix and sound quality. When I go see any solo artist, I want the entire sound to come through. There is zero point in turning yourself up at the expense of the overall sound.
Yeah, 'cause Yngwie's the sound guy.

Y.X
Thats great, but if you check my timeline, Yngwie still did it a few years before those guys. John Norum's first album came out in 87. MacAlpine's was 85. Yngwie's was 83.

Norum's first solo album came out in 1987 but the first Europe album came out in 1983....i'd still say Yngwie is the big daddy of shred...but i just thought i'd point that out ;)

Again like I said, if someone can show me a metal guitarist who played like Yngwie before 1981-2 (when his demos started circulating) then I will take back everything I said about Yngwie being the godfather of shred guitar.[/QUOTE]

Such guy do not exist. Yngwie is the inventer. He changed the way people approach and play rock,metal guitar.
And guys like Uli, Gary Moore,Blackmore do not count there is a huge level difference

soulshred said:
Again like I said, if someone can show me a metal guitarist who played like Yngwie before 1981-2 (when his demos started circulating) then I will take back everything I said about Yngwie being the godfather of shred guitar.

Such guy do not exist. Yngwie is the inventer. He changed the way people approach and play rock,metal guitar.
And guys like Uli, Gary Moore,Blackmore do not count there is a huge level difference
Yes. Those guys were all awesome, but didn't have the huge influence or extreme skill and showmanship.

Yngvai X said:
Oh yea? The Steeler and Alcatrazz albums came out in 1983 (and his demo tapes were around before that). What metal albums came out in 1984 or earlier that had neoclassical shred played the way Yngwie did on it?

Remember, fusion guitarists don't count.

Just as a reminder:

Paul Gilbert (Racer X)'s first album: 1986

Vinnie Moore (Vicious Rumors)'s first album: 1985

Jason Becker (Cacophony)' first album: 1986 (by the way, if you've seen Jason Becker's DVD, theres video of him performing Yngwie's "Black Star" at a high school talent show).

Tony MacAlpine's first album: 1985

Greg Howe's first album (even tho, like MacAlpine I'd consider him a fusion player now): 1988

Alright, so I just listed 5 of the top "shrapnel" dudes from the 80's and not one of them had an album out less than 2 years after Yngwie made his major release debuts. And 2 years is plenty of time for any aspiring guitar virtuosos who already had the Van Halen, Blackmore, Roth, and Rhoads books' of licks down to assimilate the new shred sound that Yngwie unleashed.

fair enough, i should have checked my numbers before using that as an argument. I still think you are giving Yngwie too much credit. I guarantee you guys like Macalpine and Becker would have done what they did regardless of Yngwie. Its like giving someone credit for "discovering" fire. It was always there and would have been found by someone at some point.......its just that one caveman was lucky to be the first to see it. Yngwie was just lucky to be the first (or one of the first) noted guitarists to play like that on record. Someone would have done exactly what Yngwie did (though probably better) regardless of whether he ever even existed.

Sure its cool what Yngwie did, he mixed 80's metal with paganini........i don't, however, think that Yngwie was any kind of genius who should me overcredited with something that would have happened anyway.

Meedleyx10 said:
fair enough, i should have checked my numbers before using that as an argument. I still think you are giving Yngwie too much credit. I guarantee you guys like Macalpine and Becker would have done what they did regardless of Yngwie. Its like giving someone credit for "discovering" fire. It was always there and would have been found by someone at some point.......its just that one caveman was lucky to be the first to see it. Yngwie was just lucky to be the first (or one of the first) noted guitarists to play like that on record. Someone would have done exactly what Yngwie did (though probably better) regardless of whether he ever even existed.

Sure its cool what Yngwie did, he mixed 80's metal with paganini........i don't, however, think that Yngwie was any kind of genius who should me overcredited with something that would have happened anyway.

Its not because of his luck that he discovered it first(I am sure that is an element too) but its because he is creative and better .

Meedleyx10 said:

Did you miss the part where I said there is video of Becker performing Black Star when he was in high school? One person's influence on someone else can make all the difference. How do you know that Becker wouldn't have been more of a blues/rock guitarist had he not heard Yngwie? Don't discredit someone's influence on an entire genre of music and an entire style of guitar playing simply because you obviously don't like his playing that much. Its like saying the Beatles weren't anything special because "someone would have come along and done the same thing they were doing anyway."

No one can play like Yngwie and no one ever will again. Sure there are guys like Macalpine, Romeo and Becker, although technically they are probably better, ive never heard anyone play with the soul and personality of Yngwie. Neo classical shredders are a dime a dozen these days and the only instantly recognisable one is Yngwie. Personally i think he lost it in the 90's but as a performer, songwriter and guitarist he was untouchable in the 80's.

This is kindof out of the way, but now I officially hate my guitar teacher. It's not so much that he said that Yngwie sucks, but that he thinks Yngwie is the worst guitarrist ever. If it weren't for weekly antics and traditions, I'd've changed teachers a long time ago, so I could take classical guitar.

I was front row, in front of the man himself 2 weeks ago when Yngwie played in Danbury, CT. Orange Sky annihilated Yngwie. The keyboard player was off, the drummer wasnt very good, and missed several cues BADLY, like, WHOA. Bad mix, but Yngwie's hair was AMAZING. Best Man perm i've ever seen in person. Caught a pick, though im sure thats not saying much as he dropkicks millions into the crowd a night. His guitar tech fumbling on stage every 45 seconds got lame too.

In all, I wasn't impressed w/ Yngwie at all, and actually made me appreciate Vic Smolski's solo album even more, and put into perspective that Smolski wipes his ass w/ Yngwie when it comes to the neo-classical metal scene, maybe not guitar/shred/technicality wise, but in almost every other aspect.

I don't see the point in sucking off Yngwie for improving in a metal setting. you give note to all these jazz fusion guys who can improve, why? because thats what JAZZ IS! Of course they destroy at improv, thats common sense! But Improv and metal don't blend well, different theories, different aspects, effect, and different expertise in terms of musicianship.

Just becuase Yngwie can improv doesn't make him any better or worse than any one else. Props to him for being the father of Neo-classical metal, but I personally am much more interested in more tasteful, band-oriented music, instead of trying to play as fast as possible all the time. Yngwies lack of dynamic playing really bored me, and had me looking at my clock within 40 minutes of his set. Even being front row, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE MAN, I couldn't stay interested.

I'd deff say Orange Sky was teh best band of that night.

But the Man perm award goes to Yngwie...

Yngvai X said:
Did you miss the part where I said there is video of Becker performing Black Star when he was in high school? One person's influence on someone else can make all the difference. How do you know that Becker wouldn't have been more of a blues/rock guitarist had he not heard Yngwie? Don't discredit someone's influence on an entire genre of music and an entire style of guitar playing simply because you obviously don't like his playing that much. Its like saying the Beatles weren't anything special because "someone would have come along and done the same thing they were doing anyway."

I really don't remember ever saying i disliked yngwie, and i really don't feel like getting to deep into my opinion on Yngwie's playing on a thread that isnt about my opinion on yngwie's playing. I have all but 3 of his albums and play a fair amount of his music, all I ever said was that he was overrated and Ill stand by that comment no matter what proof you think you have. I have the Becker video and have seen that clip several times. Im very confident that Becker would've gone the route he did regardless of Yngwie. Just like Yngwie he also came from a background of both classical music and 70's rock. Macalpine came from a background in classical piano well before he even picked up guitar, no shit that his guitar playing is gonna have classical influences. I'm not trying to completely discredit him for what he did, but I'm also not gonna kiss his ass and feed his ego like other people. The fact of the matter is that you can't prove Yngwie was the first guitarist to mix classical influences with metal and you can't prove that shredding in metal music would have never existed if not for Yngwie. Ill give credit where its due by saying that Yngwie opened the door for other people to release stuff in that genre by popularizing it, but I think thats the only credit he deserves.

Meedleyx10 said:
I really don't remember ever saying i disliked yngwie, and i really don't feel like getting to deep into my opinion on Yngwie's playing on a thread that isnt about my opinion on yngwie's playing. I have all but 3 of his albums and play a fair amount of his music, all I ever said was that he was overrated and Ill stand by that comment no matter what proof you think you have. I have the Becker video and have seen that clip several times. Im very confident that Becker would've gone the route he did regardless of Yngwie. Just like Yngwie he also came from a background of both classical music and 70's rock. Macalpine came from a background in classical piano well before he even picked up guitar, no shit that his guitar playing is gonna have classical influences. I'm not trying to completely discredit him for what he did, but I'm also not gonna kiss his ass and feed his ego like other people. The fact of the matter is that you can't prove Yngwie was the first guitarist to mix classical influences with metal and you can't prove that shredding in metal music would have never existed if not for Yngwie. Ill give credit where its due by saying that Yngwie opened the door for other people to release stuff in that genre by popularizing it, but I think thats the only credit he deserves.
By your "logic" anyone who has invented, discovered or developed anything doesn't deserve significant credit for their work. Better start revoking Nobel Prizes - "You've done great work, BUT SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE DONE IT"

Olympic events would take on a whole new meaning. Who would decide who got what medal? "So this guy won? Well he does deserve some credit for allowing others to finish after him, but if he hadn't, then the guy who came in last might have instead. Better give that guy gold just in case..."

What sort of crazy view is that? How can you say that with any degree of cetainty unless you possess a time machine and malicious intent? Even if Becker or MacAlpine doing what Yngwie did instead of Yngwie was likely, they still didn't do it. So ALL the credit goes to Yngwie.

Yngvai X said:

Yes, you are right, but John played good before Europe were famous. I think Tony had some training before his album came out too. :headbang:

He's not saying that Yngwie invented shred guitar, he's saying that he made it popular and has inspired more people than any other shredder. Or maybe he's not saying that at all, i didnt actually read any of the thread

At this point, now, its just a debate about whether Yngwie began Neo-Classical Shredd.

Also, I got into a debate today, on something really stupid. HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE HIS FIRST NAME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?