Yngwie still one of the best

Thanks, What could have been..

What a great band! Sad that Randy & Mats have both died.

• Mats Olausson – keyboards, backing vocals
  • Randy Coven – bass (touring only)
  • John Macaluso – drums

Reactions: VoltronLions
Mark_Boals_with_Royal_Hunt_in_2008.jpg
Mark_Boals

Yngwie is a classic example of someone who can't get out of their own way and drinks way too much of his own kool-aid. I consider some of his albums some of my all time favs and enjoyed most of the material up through Facing the Animal. Alchemy had its moments, I did enjoy Perpetual Flame with Ripper. That said, most from 2000 on he forgot how to slow down and write memorable solos any more, production is god awful, and he needs to stop singing. The new blues one I didn't even make it through the first song (I TRY to listen to each album...). The recording is so bad it's clear he just doesn't care or has too many "yes!" men/women around him.

I keep holding out hope he'll come to his musical senses one day and surround himself with a killer lineup and let someone else handle production/recording, etc... I know he's still got some classics in him, just needs the right producer and one he'll LISTEN to critique/advice from.

Yngwie is a classic example of someone who can't get out of their own way and drinks way too much of his own kool-aid. I consider some of his albums some of my all time favs and enjoyed most of the material up through Facing the Animal. Alchemy had its moments, I did enjoy Perpetual Flame with Ripper. That said, most from 2000 on he forgot how to slow down and write memorable solos any more, production is god awful, and he needs to stop singing. The new blues one I didn't even make it through the first song (I TRY to listen to each album...). The recording is so bad it's clear he just doesn't care or has too many "yes!" men/women around him.

You are astonishingly telepatic, it´s like you are using my words.

I has been a fan since his third album and I followed him al the way into the Ripper era, said that I sadly saw him live with G3 at Reno several years ago, and was a dissappoitnment XXL size.

Looking back with a cool head I should have stopped at "Alchemy", and to be true, really true one should only have the first three albums, after it becomes derivative.

Guitar has certainly advanced since he went solo, but it sure seemed to have slowed down considerably. He is still viable....... almost as good as The Wolf >:p~

Bryant

Guy's absolutely AMAZING! I've seen him live 4 times, he never disappoints. He's definitely on my Mt. Rushmore of guitar players.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yngwie since reading a 1982 Guitar Player mag. review from Mike Barney.
I loved his recordings with Steeler. Alcatraz and his Rising Force debut in 1984.

As soon as I got his music, I learned all I could using a reel to reel to learn his guitar parts, solos and even the keyboard parts.
Mastered his speed picking , arpeggios and compositional style.

But after Oddyse.... Love him, but I started losing interest. With Joe Lynn Turner and the band that he had at the time .... It was his best line up ever and he was reaching more people than ever before with the higher quality of accessibility he attained through that LP.

Live in Leningrad, is one of Metals greatest live LP's ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan. But to me, he has evolved past the Marching Out phase.