You Just Don't Get It, Do You?

The Don

Oct 29, 2004
Evergreen, Colorado USA
I had my entire iTunes library on shuffle last night. It's roughly 22 days of music long so there is still quite a bit of material I haven't gotten around to yet. After hearing a few displeasing tracks from bands so highly praised, I decided to make this thread.

You know when you find a band you haven't really listened to yet but you know is very important/highly praised, then you take a listen and are let down like none other? I'm not talking about bands that take a little longer to digest than most, I'm talking about spinning through an album roughly 20 times and still not finding anything worth listening to. I know everyone has these bands. I have one. But it's a big one:

Bathory

What the fuck happened here? Everybody writes of Quorthon as if he were a godsent legendary guitarist that shifted the universe with his divine music. I've listened through Blood on Ice, Norland I, and Blood, Fire, Death about 15 times through each, and besides a few solos on Blood, Fire, Death, I found myself hating the music. It's boring, Quorthon sounds like a dying duck singing, and the production isn't my cup of tea (even though apparantly a complete shit production job is good?). Would someone like to explain this band to me? I know they were "the beginning" but I still don't get it...

So what about everyone else?

I don't know how you listened to it that many times if you don't like it. I personally don't care for Bathory much. Some bands are overrated so... you're right on that one. But different spokes for different folks, some people find somethings more amusing about a band than someone else would.

Bathory of course is a band whose legacy extends beyond their (/his) enjoyment value, but I still do enjoy Bathory quite a bit. But from what I've seen of your posts you don't seem to be a particularly huge fan of black or thrash metal, or really very much of what would fall under "Extreme Metal," so based on that it would certainly stand to reason why you wouldn't like them. Of course, I could be totally mistaken.

However, if I may make my own contribution to the thread, I have a few of these as well...

- Morbid Angel
- Norther
- Beethoven
- Strapping Young Lad (although they're a damn good show, Devin's fucking awesome)
- Mayhem
- Wyrd

And the entire genre of Gothic Metal and almost every band signed to Moribund Cult.

By the way, I do like death metal, melodeath, classical, black metal, and folk metal in general.

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of black or "extreme" metal. I listen to it a bit and have rolled through a few CDs 50+ times but sometimes I just don't get what all the fuss is about. I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of some black metal though since i listen (religiously) to Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone, Satyricon, and Burzum. But yeah I guess for some reason Bathory just never really stood out in any way.

You don't like Norther?! What about Last Breath? That song is badassmotherfucker and you know it.

The Don said:
I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of some black metal though since i listen (religiously) to Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone, Satyricon, and Burzum. But yeah I guess for some reason Bathory just never really stood out in any way.

You don't like Norther?! What about Last Breath? That song is badassmotherfucker and you know it.

You like Darkthrone but not Bathory? Now I'm really confused :p

And I've never heard that song. I'll look for it.

[Edit] I'm a liar. I have heard it. And no, I didn't like it at the time, nor do I now. To be honest there are really only like five or six melodeath bands that still moisten my panties. Maybe I've overplayed it or something, I dunno.