Bands you just don't get

I for one can't fathom the dislike for Fates Warning.If there ever was a band that sums up the entire progressive genre,its Fates Warning.But the responses here may explain why Fates never climbed above cult status,why they continue to put out great discs which are largely ignored,why theire tours are few and far between and are completely ignored by the media outlets in the cities they play etc...
To each his own,but Fates rules.

The first and foremost on my list is PAIN OF SALVATION. I cannot handle listening to this band let alone "get" them. News of their demise would cause me uncontrollable fits of joyous celebration.
DREAM THEATER. I like them, but...eh. I'd take THE CARBURETORS over them in a second.
CIRCUS MAXIMUS. They're ok, but they don't set my world on fire.
FATES WARNING. Love the early stuff, but now? Gotta say negatory, good buddy.
STEEL ATTACK and other derivative, watered down copycat power metal. Thank God for THERION and other bands that are a bit unique who supply my need for something different.
Emo, screamo shit.
ZERO HOUR. Great musicians, but math metal doesn't work for me at all.

I don't get...threads like these where there is no right or wrong answer....only opinion.

What is the purpose, other than to stir the pot and piss somebody else off? The people who like melodic vocals don't get the growlie/cookie-monster type, the proggers don't get the power, etc, etc. If you don't like a certain band, then don't read the threads about them....read the threads about the bands you like. Why hassle Circus Maximus just because there's a bunch of positive threads about them? Maybe you could create positive threads about the band you like instead of creating a negative thread about somebody else. Or is it just more "fun" to bash than compliment?

Or perhaps people like to participate in an exchange of ideas. While some may prefer to limit themselves to their own closed mindedness, some prefer to understand the perspective of those who may disagree with them.

One may not and probably won't come to agree with an opposing view, but maybe one may develop an empathy, an understanding, of someone else's perspective. It's call communication, but feel free not to participate.

I don't get...threads like these where there is no right or wrong answer....only opinion.

What is the purpose, other than to stir the pot and piss somebody else off? The people who like melodic vocals don't get the growlie/cookie-monster type, the proggers don't get the power, etc, etc. If you don't like a certain band, then don't read the threads about them....read the threads about the bands you like. Why hassle Circus Maximus just because there's a bunch of positive threads about them? Maybe you could create positive threads about the band you like instead of creating a negative thread about somebody else. Or is it just more "fun" to bash than compliment?

Posts like this, which have nothing to do with the subject at hand, are doing precisely what your post is ranting about. Ironic.

I for one can't fathom the dislike for Fates Warning.If there ever was a band that sums up the entire progressive genre,its Fates Warning.But the responses here may explain why Fates never climbed above cult status,why they continue to put out great discs which are largely ignored,why theire tours are few and far between and are completely ignored by the media outlets in the cities they play etc...
To each his own,but Fates rules.

That's largely because mainstream America turned their back (and their ears) on good music 15-20 years ago. I remember when Geof Tate was a vocal god, but I let friends listen Khan or Ray Alder, and they don't know what to do with it.:cry: :cry: I haven't listened to the radio for years because I for one like great vox!:headbang: And I will be true to that. It's really sad when all anyone can say is "Oh that's like Metallica when they had the orchestra".

Freak Kitchen
80% of Progressive Metal bands: Dream Theater, Conception, Vanden Plas, Redemption... long list.
Freak Kitchen
Arch Enemy
Technical Metal- It's a disjointed cacophony of noise to my ears.
Devin Townsend
Freak Kitchen

Every band that sounds like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius and 100% of all the clones both before and after.:err:
And god help me if Mercenary ever comes backo_O o_O

After Forever - This band has so many good things going on, but for some reason when they all get put together, it gives me a headache. Maybe it's the fact that the vocal melodies sound like they come from a different song than the rest of the music.
Haha cool, I thought I was the only that felt that way!

The purpose wasn't to bash anyone. The purpose was just a discussion of bands you feel you should like given that you like that genre and even other bands similar. Alot of people that you usually share common interest with like the band but you don't. It certainly was not a thread started to say this band sucks. I think most everyone here has 'gotten' the idea and responde appropriately, with a few exceptions.

Or perhaps people like to participate in an exchange of ideas. While some may prefer to limit themselves to their own closed mindedness, some prefer to understand the perspective of those who may disagree with them.

One may not and probably won't come to agree with an opposing view, but maybe one may develop an empathy, an understanding, of someone else's perspective. It's call communication, but feel free not to participate.

Yes, you are correct. It is what makes forums great. Forgive my rant...

Posts like this, which have nothing to do with the subject at hand, are doing precisely what your post is ranting about. Ironic.

While I thought it was on the subject, I suppose it wasn't cuz I didn't preface it with my own opinion and then rant. And, if I followed my own advice, I wouldn't have come into this thread in the first place. I probably should've posted a different thread instead. Sorry...

The purpose wasn't to bash anyone. The purpose was just a discussion of bands you feel you should like given that you like that genre and even other bands similar. Alot of people that you usually share common interest with like the band but you don't. It certainly was not a thread started to say this band sucks. I think most everyone here has 'gotten' the idea and responde appropriately, with a few exceptions.

That's cool.... I was just bumming about the negativity. I stand corrected. Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Tool - why are they so huge?
Pagans Mind - can't get into the vocalist
Labyrinth - they've never written a hook
Dragonforce - you know, they could change tempos occasionally.
Communic - OK....dudes, Nevermore have been doing that for a long time. I let a friend of mine hear the first song on Waves and we cracked up at how exactly, exactly like Warrel Dane he sounded. Even the interval on the harmony was exactly like WD. you can get away with that doing power metal because the vox sound very similar in that style, but if you're going to ape someone, it shouldn't be someone with that unique a voice. They're never going to get out from under that.

Jon, that first song does. After that I think they are quite distinct, both in song composition and singing style. Actually I would say that Communic sounds nothing like Nevermore on their first album, and most of the second.

Wow, so many ways to go here (or perhaps not if we keep it to the original idea of the post).

Don't get: Mercenary, Devin Townsend, Brainstorm, Hoogie-Boogie song etc.

I find myself a fan of practically every sort of metal (including Death/Goth/Black/Atmospheric/Dark/Doom) but of course picking out the elements of the bands in different genres that I like, whether it be the vocalist, musicians, mood, songwriting, talent, production - who knows, but if it clicks with me then it does. Thats what's so great about metal is that there are so many directions within the genre that can please so many different fans and still pretty much bring us together as proud fans of a sometimes forgotten/unregarded style of music.

Obviously this thread is to be about bands that don't "click" with you.

p.s. I am a bit suprised about the Fates "hate" though. They are credited with founding the genre of Prog-metal. Love the John Arch days. I don't think there are many releases out there that you can listen to and still think it sounds like nobody else or no other release, and "Awaken the Guardian" is one of those. Nobody else sounds like that even to this day.
JUST MY OPINION

Dream Theater is one...they came here on Monday I find them terribly boring on CD gave them a shot live, and nothing....just pure wankage of solo's.
Helloween - I dont know how anyone can enjoy those vocals
Bathory - Quorthon has one of the worst voices i've ever heard

Quiet likely theres more but can't think of any....surprised at the nevermore dislike, I really find this band great.