Slayer
Dream Theatre
Gwar
Motorhead

o_O

But...

it's.....

MOTORHEAD

Pain of Salvation just doesn't do anything for me.
Dream Theater are hit and miss for me. Images & Words I like and the new one so far.
Redemption.. nope.
Adagio live was like being put to sleep at the dentist, but I like the albums.
Tech-prog where it sounds like everyone is playing their own song.
Evenasence or however you spell it.. all sounds the same from track to track to me.

I get most bands....does not mean I like them all....

The band I really do not get, is Mindflow.
Got the latest album at last years PP.
Wanted to like them, just put me to sleep after a few songs.
So...after all the good postings of recent...I listened to the album 5 times....making it to the end only on the first try...and damn...was that a long sleepy listen....

Just don't get them.

There are a bunch of them!
But the one that I REALLY don't get is Eternity X... I've seen people saying that The Edge is the best CD ever and stuff.. And to me the album is horrible.. I can't get past the first few tracks! I tried a bunch of times and I just can't do it..

Very cool, I thought I was all alone with this. Never even liked them, not even a little.

If I didn't post PoS on this thread, people would think I'm dead...
If anyone would like a custom tailored rant on PoS, PM me, and I'll conjure one up for you over the weekend. :heh: That band has basically imploded, so they don't need my help anymore. :headbang:

This is the progpower board right? I'm really amazed at a lot of these posts!

I mean Fates???? wow, you should all be ashamed for putting them on the list.
Why? Why sugarcoat it .. if you don't like a band you should let it be known. They just aren't my thing. I like some similar bands like Queensryche, DT, etc., but Fates just doesn't float my boat.

Britt

I won't debate as to the whys, and I'm not looking to start any arguments etc., but just the fact that you can say you prefer DT over Fates speaks volumes to me.

Isn't that the whole basis of this thread? Bands that you supposedly should love but just have never been able to get into? You can't honestly say there's not a single band that so many people rave about and you just can't get into them?

where's the Opeth? They seem to be one of those bands that click with some and don't with others. I freakin' love em but have friends that just don't get it. As far as my own choices:

Metallica (sounds very generic to me. blah blah pioneers whatever. It's just not exciting to me)
Slayer (seen them live hoping they'd be better. They were worse. There's absolutely no appeal IMO with this one)
Dream Theater (other bands do it better. they maybe started some of the modern prog but I just don't hear anything special)
My Dying Bride (I generally like Doom/Death. But MDB sounds pretty bland to be. Novembers Doom do it waay better)
Edenbridge (I REALLY tried on this one...just sounds like symphony x ripoff with a generic opera-ish vocalist)
Amon Amarth (I like other Viking-esque bands--Mithotyn, Ensiferum...just can't get into these guys).

I dont get bands like Blind Gaurdian, Savage Circus, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray ect ect...I love power metal just not that cheesy side of it...

Its all about taste and what you look for and feel in the music, you don't need to a get a certain band that everyone else does, thats why we have so many choices...

Here is a simple progression of bands that I have called favorites at one time or another...

Dokken -> Queensryche -> Dream Theater -> Symphony X ->Evergrey -> Circus Maximus

Bear

couldn't ever get into Guns n Roses, current bands I cant get into would be Opeth, and most other fem fronted bands, Trivium (have a couple discs but only played once) Devin Townsend, and for JDubya--- who the hell is POS?!?!?:lol:

I dont get bands like Blind Gaurdian, Savage Circus, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray ect ect...I love power metal just not that cheesy side of it...

Its all about taste and what you look for and feel in the music, you don't need to a get a certain band that everyone else does, thats why we have so many choices...

Here is a simple progression of bands that I have called favorites at one time or another...

Dokken -> Queensryche -> Dream Theater -> Symphony X ->Evergrey -> Circus Maximus

Bear

Which side of Power Metal do you like then? We would seem to be polar opposites. You're at ProgPower for the Prog and I'm there for the Power.

Nevermore - who died and made them relevant...wait, they're not...nevermind

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine was great...other than that, he's useless

PoS (recently) - enjoyed everything up to Remedy Lane...past that Daniel lost his damn mind

Matt Barlow - gets hyped (especially here) for what reason l don't know...people l know that hear him say he sounds like he has a mouthful of something...l agree, he probably makes a better cop than a singer

Symphony X (recently) - really haven't done anything since TDoT...Romeo needs some more influences besides Yngwie or let someone else write the material

Circus Maximus - l like them but they're not relevant to the extent they get hyped...should be Tractum Penitus

Freak Kitchen - playing guitar with a dildo makes you wonderful...how?

That's all for now...l'm sure l can think of more if the need arises.

Any band with 100% growl, scream , cookie monster vox.

I used to feel the same way, but after confusing Deliverance and Damnation when buying my first Opeth album I slowly made the transition. :lol:

There are still some bands whose vocalists I dislike, but there are a lot of bands with harsh vocals I thoroughly enjoy.

Not too many for me. I'm pretty open to a lot of things. But here's a few:

Nevermore
Communic (just not a big fan of this style of metal for some reason, not sure why, just hasn't been interesting to me. I have Dreaming Neon Black, but only break it out rarely).
Within Temptation(I don't like a lot of the really poppy goth metal, Theatre of Tragedy also fits in this). I like some of this genre (see Delain, Nightwish) just not all of it.
Most of the Metalcore genre, and most of the Black and Death Genre.

People are mentioning Fates Warning because they dont pound it anymore. Fates is a very unique band, always has been. Their post No Exit material is a very deep interspective mood music. An aquired taste no doubt. Maybe you have to have lived through intense emotional termoil to connect with Fates.

Myself Im not crazy about the pre Perfect Symmetry Fates. I dont get John Arches singing, its too far out there. Maybe like some of the old Hendrix Experience live jams where everyone is off on different planets like freeform jazz.

Dont get the ranting into the microphone like a rabid dog thing either ... so like ... all those bands

How anyone could listen to XM's Liquid Metal for more than a quick 2 minute laugh baffels me, its like the retarded bred with the morons and took over some studio and everyones afraid to stop them because they bite and carry diseases.

Dont get why Metallica fans love And Justice for All

Never got the Beatles and I was there

In the early 90's Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvgasonya were solely responsible for my listening to country as an FM radio choice.

How anyone can listen to Dragonforce and not realize that the Alvin and the Chipmunks sound is because they sped the recording up is beyond me.

Never got how Ozzy or Neil Young ever made it with their nasty sounding voices. At least Neil Young did write his own songs .

Which side of Power Metal do you like then? We would seem to be polar opposites. You're at ProgPower for the Prog and I'm there for the Power.

Nope. I love Power metal alot actually. I like bands like Brainstorm, Machine Men, Kamelot, older Iced Earth, Twilightning, Vicious Rumors, Mob Rules, Angra ect ect

It is what it is

Bear