You know what?

anonymousnick2001 said:
I consider Manowar power metal.

You consider wrong and obviously know not what power metal is.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Motorhead are speed metal.

Motorhead gave way into speed metal but they are not technical enough. They brought the tempo up, that's for sure.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Megadeth and Annihilator are thrash.

Nope. Megadeth and Annihilator are far too technical (as you say yourself later) to be thrash. They are the purest form of speed metal.

anonymousnick2001 said:
All four of those bands are far too technical to be thrash
anonymousnick2001 said:
not to mention they all use the patented 'thrash riff' in many of their songs.

Make up your mind....

anonymousnick2001 said:
YOU LOSE.
k, bye thnx :)

Typical remark... :rolleyes:

Soul O said:
Nope. Megadeth and Annihilator are far too technical (as you say yourself later) to be thrash. They are the purest form of speed metal.
Wrong.

Make up your mind....
It was a typo. I said 'too technical to be thrash,' but I meant 'speed'.

BigBronco4x4 said:
Yeah, dude. Manowar are power metal. In fact, they are the definition of power metal. It's more to do than just the musical sound.
Agreed. Soul O got pwned. Again.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Agreed. Soul O got pwned. Again.

I didn't get "owned" if that's what you mean...

So, power metal is more than just the sound, eh? I guess you're talking about lyrical themes...
So it doesn't matter that ManOwaR sounds exactly like normal and pure heavy metal, eh?

Is Flash of the Blade a power metal song? "Oh, no It can't be, it's Irnon MiaDne!!11!!11111"

Ok, stick to your guns. :)

BTW, the definition of power metal is Kai Hansen, the man who invented it with Helloween. But I guess you'll have some wild theory on that too... :Spin:

i personally don't think Manowar are power metal. i'm not the metal philosopher or anything here, but I believe power metal is basically upbeat or generally "happy" at times maiden-ish melodies played at a very high speed, lots of double bass, etc.... that Helloween started in 1985. but who knows, thats just my opinion, i'd rather not get into an argument here

anyway, back to back in the village..... that opening riffage is just so BADASS

Soul O (Solo) said:
I didn't get "owned" if that's what you mean...

So, power metal is more than just the sound, eh? I guess you're talking about lyrical themes...
So it doesn't matter that ManOwaR sounds exactly like normal and pure heavy metal, eh?

Is Flash of the Blade a power metal song? "Oh, no It can't be, it's Irnon MiaDne!!11!!11111"

Ok, stick to your guns. :)

BTW, the definition of power metal is Kai Hansen, the man who invented it with Helloween. But I guess you'll have some wild theory on that too... :Spin:
I think power metal and "pure heavy metal" are closely related. Especially given to the fact that many people who like Iron Maiden also enjoy power metal, and yes, a significant trait of power metal is the theme.
I don't know where you get off being so scathing, I wasn't being rude, but I guarantee you, if you ask anyone who likes metal to name a power metal band, I'd bet 9 times out of 10 the they would say Manowar. Maybe definition is the wrong choice of words, but they are synonymous with it.

Sunlapse said:
i personally don't think Manowar are power metal. i'm not the metal philosopher or anything here, but I believe power metal is basically upbeat or generally "happy" at times maiden-ish melodies played at a very high speed, lots of double bass, etc.... that Helloween started in 1985. but who knows, thats just my opinion, i'd rather not get into an argument here

anyway, back to back in the village..... that opening riffage is just so BADASS
Manowar is upbeat, another way to describe power metal is anthemic which fits them perfectly. Their definition.

BigBronco4x4 said:
I think power metal and "pure heavy metal" are closely related. Especially given to the fact that many people who like Iron Maiden also enjoy power metal, and yes, a significant trait of power metal is the theme.
I don't know where you get off being so scathing, I wasn't being rude, but I guarantee you, if you ask anyone who likes metal to name a power metal band, I'd bet 9 times out of 10 the they would say Manowar. Maybe definition is the wrong choice of words, but they are synonymous with it.
Agreed. For me, synonymous is enough to warrant a genre tag. Hence, Cradle of Filth are black metal in my book. Not aesthetically or 'ideologically,' but by association for easy categorization.

Manowar is upbeat, another way to describe power metal is anthemic which fits them perfectly. Their definition.
I also agree with this.

BigBronco4x4 said:

For one Iron Maiden is not pure heavy metal. They are a band which I don't consider straight heavy metal, they're not power metal either, I can't quite classify them. They are probably Steve Harris metal... :D

BigBronco4x4 said:
I don't know where you get off being so scathing, I wasn't being rude

Neither was I and besides I was mainly talking to anonymous, although I used your words, but that's because he agreed with you, which make them his words too.

BigBronco4x4 said:
I guarantee you, if you ask anyone who likes metal to name a power metal band, I'd bet 9 times out of 10 the they would say Manowar. Maybe definition is the wrong choice of words, but they are synonymous with it.

Hammerfall, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Iron Savior those are all power metal, they sound alike (of course each one has its style, but you recognise the trend) and none of them sound like ManOwaR. And another thing, Gamma Ray's themes have nothing to do with "anthems", "warriors", or "sorcery" and yet they ARE power metal. It's the sound that classifies music. Hell, it IS music! What is music? Is it some sort of literature? Music is classified by the way it sounds and each distinct metal genre sounds its own way.
I don't know if any of you two is a fan of ManOwaR, maybe you'll tell me, but I'm inclined to say the only people who say they are power metal are non fans or casual listeners. I have never heard a ManOwaR fan say they are power metal.

Soul O Solo has it completely fucking backwards. Speed metal is the evolution of NWOBHM; basically heavy metal based on eighth and sixteenth note riffs played really fast with an emphasis on lead guitar. See Judas Priest's "Freewheel Burning" and Queensrÿche's "Queen of the Reich" for the be-all, end-all of speed metal.

Thrash is the further evolution of speed in brutality and technicality, being more based on the rhythmic patterns of the riffs and also generally heavier. The vocals and leads are less important; the rhythm guitars carry the music. Riffs mostly have a more technical construction, with lots of time changes and odd rhythms.

Bands like Watchtower are the logical continuation of thrash in terms of sheer technicality, taking the fucked-up construction to an extreme. The continuation in terms of brutality, incidentally, is death metal.

Anyway, yeah, and Manowar is heavy metal but had a strong influence on power metal. Like Venom to black metal, or Slayer to death metal, or Motörhead to thrash metal.

Cradle of Filth are only black metal if you don't listen to black metal at all.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Hence, Cradle of Filth are black metal in my book. Not aesthetically or 'ideologically,' but by association for easy categorization.

But it is so much easier and more appropriate to associate them with the term "faggoth."