Your 3 favorite Metal productions of all time!

I notice a lot of guys here are going for some older productions, maybe out of nostalgia or for whatever reason, but I'm inclined to agree with you Ermz, that using productions with such a high level of technical perfection are a better way to go than say, the Black Album or Jester's Race.

For me the production isn't only about technical perfection, I think it's more about the overall impression. That's why someone like Martin Birch will always be a godly producer to me, his recordings just have that special something, no matter how technically dated they may seem to someone and it's no nostalgia thing...

About the "Operation Mindcrime" again. I would absolutely not say it´s a "bad production", It is my personal feeling, or call it individual taste. The sound feels simply cold and unpleasant for me. Seems like i´m pretty alone here at the forum with this opinion :)

About the "Operation Mindcrime" again. I would absolutely not say it´s a "bad production", It is my personal feeling, or call it individual taste. The sound feels simply cold and unpleasant for me. Seems like i´m pretty alone here at the forum with this opinion :)

Everyone's entitled to an opinion...Even if it's totally wrong like yours :p
Kidding :D

I agree about how it feels, but then again the whole thing it talks about is very cold and unpleasant so it's a perfect match IMHO.

Slipknot - All Hope is Gone
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Threat Signal - Under Reprisal

dont worry felix its all about personal taste :) im kinda of old skool production wize...oh i also like Crimson Glorys Astronomica album the bass is huge!!

Iron Maiden - Somewherre in Time (c'mon guys, it was 86 and the album's sound was beyond its time)
Avantasia - Scarecrow (second to mention that, but it's the most layered metal album I've ever listened. Tons of sounds going in the background. Sascha Paeth and Miro are geniuses)
DreamEvil - Book of Heavy Metal (Fredman took better care of his own work)

I'll join those in support of this album's sound... It's totally suited to the music and I really can't get a grasp of the comments along the lines "twas fine for 20 years ago", cause I think most modern recordings don't come close to it. It definitely carries the sign o' the times - it's very distinct and has a personality. With today's sample replacement and reamping (over)use there's less and less room to achieve that I suppose...

How could I... forget these two?! :worship:
But then again I could've go on and on with my list... :lol:
For example, today I'm totally in the mood for Helloween's "The Time Of The Oath" sound :headbang:

Oh yeah. Time of the Oath and Master of the Rings. I love how those albums sound. Pure vintage. Vintage guitars, vintage amps, vitage recording gear. Also I have to mention Better Than Raw. Same type of gear but more polished sound. I love the way how single coiled fenders sound on those albums. CHANG CHANG CHANG!!!

Oh yeah. Time of the Oath and Master of the Rings. I love how those albums sound. Pure vintage. Vintage guitars, vintage amps, vitage recording gear. Also I have to mention Better Than Raw. Same type of gear but more polished sound. I love the way how single coiled fenders sound on those albums. CHANG CHANG CHANG!!!

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, enough with these EMG this drop A tuning that nonsense :lol:
Seriously, how many metal bands dare recording rhythm guitars on stratocasters at position 2?! :worship:

1) Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
2) Metallica - Black Album
3) Dream Theater - Images and Words

Honorable Mentions

1) Queensryche - Empire
2) Queensryche - Promised Land
3) Megadeth - Rust in Peace (remastered)
4) Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
5) Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
6) Overkill - Horrorscope
7) Kreator - Coma of Souls
8) Death - Symbolic
9) Testament - Formation of Damnation

Went way over with the honorable mentions and still probably forgot some, but oh well.

only soundwise?
then its

Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama

+
Mercenary - The Hours that remain
Unearth - The March
Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
Nevermore - TGE
KsE (Daylight + Heartache)

Pantera - Far beyond driven
Testament - The gathering
Dark Tranquility - I am the void

Shoutouts to panzer division marduk and carnal forges testify for my victims

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, enough with these EMG this drop A tuning that nonsense :lol:
Seriously, how many metal bands dare recording rhythm guitars on stratocasters at position 2?! :worship:

Dude, this forum needs a vintage sounding metal thread. Marshall Plexis, Fender Stratocasters, Les Pauls from sixties and Rickenbacker basses :)

btw, check out latest Avantasia albums. Strat positions at 2. Awesome sounding. Very Organic. But there're lots of drop Bs and Cs :lol:

Whoa, this is not easy. I'll have to go for a few more than three:

Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
Opeth - Watershed
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
The Haunted - Versus
Týr - Ragnarok

The three productions that have their place in my heart are probably The Hours That Remain, Slaughter Of The Soul and Destroy Erase Improve, but all of those are absolutely fantastic!

1. Beauty and the breakdown - Bury your dead
2. Heat - American Me
3. The Dead Walk - Acacia strain

they may not sound the best, but i fucking love em