Your Bass Setups ???

Fender P Bass
Ibanez SR406 (6 string - may swap for 5-string)
Warmoth Fretless (put it together myself, but not very well)

Hartke 2115 Combo amp (200w I think)
Digitech BP200 Modeling/Effects Processor

:)

LowGuitar253

An SWR Workingmans combo amp ($200-800) and introductory Ibanez or Fender bass ($200-500).

My setup is about to be increased, I'm purchasing an SWR 350x head and an SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab. :headbang:

OK... definitely gonna begin shopping for a new amp set-up... My Roland is in the shop for the second time and Im tired of screwing around with it...

Have heard good stuff about Yorkville... Anyone here have any experiance with their gear??

My bass Setup is...

Hohner Custom 4 string..with laser pickups
Old Yamaha fretless
Hohner Fretless
Brice 6 string..modified..
then i have varoius other things floating around...rouge, carvin, yamaha, peavey, SNS7..

Amp.
Carvin DCM1000, Line 6 Bass POD PRO, Alesis Quadraverb, Audiotechnica Wireless system, Sabine tuners.

My Cabs are Carvin 1x15 and a Hartke 4x10...

My tone is very mid rangey, with small amounts of chrous, reverb, delay, flange, and distortion on it...I used so much effect to bring out my solos more. You can't really tell the effects are on it because the amount i use is so small.

In the studio I overdub all my parts by "ear"...I set 2 tones one is really THICK and bassy, and one is more mid range, high end...I go through and record all the songs with both tones and then i mix i'll mix one on the tones louder then the other depending on how the song feels at that moment(ex..When a bass solo comes up in a song I mix the highend tone louder, where it comes through better, if we are playing a groovy riff with strait double bass, i'll mix the low tone a little louder...

Bobby L. Bryant
Summer Dying
http://www.summerdying.com

Hey Bobby!!! Another Cynic / Spiral Architect nut here!!!! Have you heard anything about S. A.'s next release??? Checked out the "Summer Dying" website!!! Cool!!! Hey, I didnt see it in your profile, but check out the band "Zero Hour" if you haven't yet.. Their CD "The Towers of Avarice" is unbelievable!!!

Hi guys, i'm another talkbass guy (like Thornmoon :) ) and here's my set up, pics'll come soon..

Bass:
Buscarino 5 String (He makes Jazz Archtop guitars now for obscene amounts of money..i picked it up for 900 bucks and it's been the best 900 dollars i've ever spent, truly nice bass.)

Dingwall Zebra Z2 5 string with quilt maple top, purple burst, wenge fingerboard and 3 band eq (Got this from another Talkbass guy, traded my Rob Elrick 5 string for it..truly sick instrument. The fanned frets are amazing and not hard to adjust to at all: everyone go buy a Dingwall! The Elrick was nice, just not for what i was playing.)

Rig:
Older EBS Fafner TD620 head (It's the grey face version, which preceeded the bluefaced. only difference as far as i can tell is that it doesn't have speak on jacks)

2 2x10 Bag End D10X-B (I think that is what they're are, nice cabs, but somewhat lacking on the low end, very efficient though, probably going to switch to aguilar or something soon.)

I too <3 Cynic and have exchanged emails with Sean Malone. Really nice guy.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I picked up my SWR 350x head last night and my 4x10 cab just showed up!!! Too bad I'm at work and can't test it out right away. :D

Anybody have any suggestions for a reverb unit? I'm thinking about the Alesis NanoVerb because it's cheap, and I have used their NanoCompressor for years with good results. Any comments or suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting a five string or something..I dunno. I'm pretty happy with my four string, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the fifth string for the stuff my band plays. So far it hasn't been a problem (One guitarist (we lost the second guitarist, if you remember.. :p), one drummer, me, vocals) but yeah, I don't know if I really need the fifth string or not.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Firedwarf
I'm thinking of getting a five string or something..I dunno. I'm pretty happy with my four string, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the fifth string for the stuff my band plays. So far it hasn't been a problem (One guitarist (we lost the second guitarist, if you remember.. :p), one drummer, me, vocals) but yeah, I don't know if I really need the fifth string or not.

What do you guys think?

Well, if you're happy with what you have... stick with that!!

Yeah, I'm happy with the four string. :p
But what are some advantages to having the five string over the four? And vice versa. Cuz I don't know much about it.

With a 5-string you get either a low B string or a high C. I prefer 4-strings, but sometimes a 6-string or a 5-string with a high C is fun. I don't really like low B strings, the intonation is usually so off that they are unusable past the 7th fret.

Originally posted by NAD
I don't really like low B strings, the intonation is usually so off that they are unusable past the 7th fret.

Taper core strings are a MUST for accurate intonation on the low B... I have several basses both 6 and 7 strings, and I've never had a problem. Also let a professional tech do the set-up if you're not as knowledgable.