Your Bass Setups ???

Thornmoon said:
Just put my order in for a custom Conklin 8 string bass!!!!!! Now I'm faced with the 12 to 16 week wait until it's completed!!!

Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end!!

Mark

Hey Mark!

Make sure you put a review of the bass in here once you get it- I've been curious about picking up an 8 stringer, but overly worried about playability- especially for what the custom Conklins go for...

As far as my rig:

Ibanez SR2000 Prestige 6 string
Ibanez SR1306 6 string
Conklin GT-7 7 string

Hartke 2.5XL (staggered 15's)
Hartke 410XL
Hartke 405 array (4x5", all highs baby)

ART Nightbass preamp (can't get away from it)
Rane Mojo MX23 3 way crossover
Biamp 800 stereo amp
(still looking for a 2nd amp to run true 3 way :( )
Samson CR4 TD wireless (instrument)
Audio Technica ATWR19 TD wireless (vox)
Korg Toneworx

Practice/recording gear:

Crate BX-100 (best sounding practice amp around, esp. for the $$$)
Line 6 Bass Pod
Folio Notepad 4 ch mixer
Echo Gina

Chris H

Chris H. -Power of Omens said:
Hey Mark!

Make sure you put a review of the bass in here once you get it- I've been curious about picking up an 8 stringer, but overly worried about playability- especially for what the custom Conklins go for...

Chris H

Sure will Chris!! How are you liking the GT-7? I have two... fretted and fretless and aside from the weak Mighty Mite preamp I find them to be excellent basses for the money. I've dropped new Aguilar preamps in them and it's made the sound 100% better on mine. Just wanted to get your opinions of them.

Cheers!!
Mark

Thornmoon said:
Sure will Chris!! How are you liking the GT-7? I have two... fretted and fretless and aside from the weak Mighty Mite preamp I find them to be excellent basses for the money. I've dropped new Aguilar preamps in them and it's made the sound 100% better on mine. Just wanted to get your opinions of them.

Cheers!!
Mark

I love it. I think for what these go for, you can't lose. My only complaint is the weight, but I'm used to my Ibanez in that dept, so I expected that going in.

As far as overall tonality, I've got no complaints with mine with the stock preamp- However I've heard of several people replacing the preamp like you did. I'd be curious to hear what a difference it makes- especially since I think they already sound pretty damn good as is~

Take care!

Chris H

Chris H. -Power of Omens said:
I'd be curious to hear what a difference it makes- especially since I think they already sound pretty damn good as is~

Take care!

Chris H

One thing I noticed immediately was a huge increase in overall presence with the added midrange... The Aguilar pre's have a mid-boost switch in addition to a separate pot. Being accustomed to basses with 3 band eq's I felt the bass' sound was thin with only the two band eq. The addition of adjustable mids made a huge difference, especially on the fretless!!

Oh, I checked out your site and previewed some of the mp3's there. Great sounding material!!! Would there be a way that I could get a CD by paying direct with PayPal?

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for the interest, Mark! Glad you dig it!

As far as paying direct, unfortunately, we don't really have any at the moment- the CD just started shipping last week...however, did you check out the vendor page- http://www.powerofomens.com/Vendors.htm?
More than likely, some of these guys should have it in stock, and you can just pick it up from them.

Metalages is setting up a second pressing now- I believe that they've pretty much shipped everything they had from the first press...so if you want to snag one, you might want to jump before the current vendors sell out their current stock ;)

If you pick it up, let me know what you think! And thanks again for the info on the preamp!

Chris H.

Actually Chris, the guy who could answer ANY questions regarding Conklin basses would be a guy named John Turner... He has about 10 of them including an INSANE 7 string double-neck!! Here's his website"

http://lordonly.net/

jtdblneck1.jpg

My Bass guitars include:
Epiphone P Bass
Epiphone Explorer
Jackson CMG
BC Rich Platinum Warlock
Carvin Bass
Aria Pro ZZB Deluxe Bass

Amps include:
Carvin R600 Bass Amp with 2 10" Drivers and an 18" woofer

Peddles include:
DOD Bass Over Drive And some Zoom pile of junk

Wow, that's a bit overkill for me (the double neck 7-stringer), but it sure is gorgeous!

I play a Yamaha BB1500 thru a peavey Firebass 700 watt head with 4x10 with a horn and a 1x15. Its super versatile and plays Van Halen stuff like nuthin else seeings as michael antony uses yamaha BBs aswell.

Lunty said:
I play a Yamaha BB1500 thru a peavey Firebass 700 watt head with 4x10 with a horn and a 1x15. Its super versatile and plays Van Halen stuff like nuthin else seeings as michael antony uses yamaha BBs aswell.

That's cool!! Peavey IMO makes good equipment! May not be the most "fashionable" stuff out there, but it sounds good and is very durable!

Cool that you can get the Halen sound... One of the bands I play in does a couple of Mr. Big tunes ( Green Tinted Sixties Mind, and Addicted to That Rush ) and I have a Carvin bass that when I solo the neck pickup and add chorus and a little distortion I can nail Sheehan's tone!

Never played the BB1500... I head they're very good basses though.

Mark

I've only played bass for 1 year now, and I just have an Washburn XB100, and I use a Carvin XV 112 Tube Amp I borrowed from a friend. But in a couple of months I'm gonna replace my bass because I don't really get the sound I want out of it.

It's either a Washburn RB2502 or RB2602 or a Ibanez EDC715 (new 2003 model)....Any suggestions?

Dark Life Dying said:
I've only played bass for 1 year now, and I just have an Washburn XB100, and I use a Carvin XV 112 Tube Amp I borrowed from a friend. But in a couple of months I'm gonna replace my bass because I don't really get the sound I want out of it.

It's either a Washburn RB2502 or RB2602 or a Ibanez EDC715 (new 2003 model)....Any suggestions?

Get A Jackson CMG Awsome bass Active electronics Great playabilty And its Just under $500 bucks
:headbang:

Dark Life Dying said:

Check out the Washburn Taurus series... Those look very interesting. Also, the Cort Elrick series are pretty exciting too... I don't know if they're actually available yet but they look very good!!! If they offer them in a 6 string model I might pick one up.