Your best 2010-albums and high hopes for 2011

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
I thought I'd make a thread where we can look back at 2010 and where we can share our high hopes/expectations for next year.

My top albums for this year:
1. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

2. Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
3. Instanzia - Ghosts
4. Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
5. Orden Ogan - Easton Hope

For next year, I'm really looking forward to/have high hopes to see some great releases by:
1. Dream Theater
2. Circus Maximus
3. Pagan's Mind
4. Symphony X
5. Serenity
6. Dragonland

It looks like 2011 is going to be a great 'progpower-year'!
If you'd like an overview of what new releases are expected, click on the link below:
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/new_releases.php?upcoming=1

2010:

Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Treat - Coup De Grace
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Pendulum - Immersion

2011:

X Japan - TBA
Hibria - Blind Ride
Symphony X - TBA
Anthem - TBA
The Mars Volta - TBA

I felt it was a really bad year for metal, and every release i was looking forward to (bar the abovementioned) were all very dissapointing. Here's hoping 2011 will be a lot stronger; all five of the bands i mentioned are in my top 10 of all time!

2010:
1) Kingcrow- Phlegethon. This nips TGE by a nose just because it was unexpected: Emotive vocals, rich harmonies, impassioned guitars, lush keyboards and great songs, all from a band with which I was unfamiliar.
1a) Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape. It's kind of unfair that this album didn't take the #1 spot outright just because I have come to expect great things from SW. TGE is perfection, plain and simple. I didn't think that MF could be topped; I was wrong.
3) Haken - Aquarius. Although the vocals grate on my nerves a bit after prolonged listening, the musicianship is jaw dropping. They received bonus points for the Dixieland breakdown. If we're talking prog, "these go to eleven".
4) Creation's End - A New Beginning. A very promising debut album, I found it to be in heavier rotation than I expected on my iPod.
5) Vanden Plas - Seraphic Clockwork. Can these guys make a bad album? I don't think it approaches the brilliance of Christo, but it is damned tasty.

2011:
Redemption: I have loved their past 2 releases. Hopefully the next one continues the trend.
Symphony X: I thought Paradise Lost was uneven and tried too hard for a thrash feel. Still, I am looking forward to the new one.
Hourglass: I just discovered their 2009 release Oblivious to the Obvious. It is brilliant. This one is eagerly anticipated.
Rush: Their most recent CDs have left me disappointed, but they were the first band I really got into. I will buy their music as long as they make it.
Circus Maximus: I found Seventh Wonder because of iTunes genius suggestion based upon my CM purchases. As it turned out, I actually preferred SW. That said, they make some really great melodic prog.

Alter Bridge - AB III
-
-
-
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
Some other stuff

No other albums I really thought were great enough to make a best of. James Labrie, Vanden Plas, Empty Tremor, Darkwater, Stone Sour, Allen and Lande were some of the others I liked though.

For next year:
Symphony X (must be at last?)
Dream Theater

Those are the only two I'm really anticipating. I'm not too up to date on who else will be bringing out new albums though - I remember reading of another Redemption album but not up to date with any news. I'd be looking forward to that though.

I have a hard time with the whole 'only releases of the year' because sometimes I discover stuff way after it's released... So...

My Favorite Releases/ Discoveries for 2010:
Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings thru The Great Escape; intro'd September 2010... In the dictionary look up preeminence and there, you will find Seventh Wonder (and they're nice guys ta boot)
Vanden Plas - Seraphic Clockwork and their theater work; The Story of Daniel (I want the DVD)
Pink - Greatest Hits - seriously, she can write and kick your ass :)
Enrique Iglesias' Insominac - it's like a latin Marvin Gaye album...:devil:
Gaelic Storm - Cabbage - One of the best bands I've ever seen live..

Top5-2010 (outside Finland):

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Masterplan - Time to Be King
Ratt - Infestation
Accept - Blood of the Nations

Everything good in metal what comes out in year 2011 will be warmly welcomed by my side, but I really looking forward to that new Serenity-album. Fallen Sanctuary (2008) was just too damn good.

Btw, happy new years everyone!

I think it's been quite a poor year for me really, there have been many disappointments, I'm just going to say that TGE was by far the best album of the year, completely blowing away all expectations.

In terms of next year,
Wintersun - Time
Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever (I like the older stuff alot, and hope that they can somewhat refind their roots)
Blood Stain Child - TBA
Sonata Arctica - TBA
Tracedawn - TBA
Megadave - TBA
+ Many more

I didn't realise there were so many bands due to release albums next year. I plan too explore progpower some more next year aswell, now that SW are my favourite band :).

Besides TGE, I really enjoyed the Haken album this year, although I discovered it just in December. Looking forward to the new Circus Maximus one and I'm not sure if I really will like the new DT album...

My expectations are Wolverine's new record and Circus Maximus'. Also Theocracy and Symphony X. Of course X Japan too!

My TOP 5 for 2010 is:

Seventh Wonder - TGE
Treat - Coup De Grace
Solefald - Norron Livskunt
Orphaned Land - The Neverending Way Of ORwarriOR
Nelson - Lightning Strikes Twice

The best 2010 albums for me are (In no particular order):

Forgotten Suns - Revelations (If we're counting EPs)
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned
Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt - Part I

While the albums I'm really looking forward to next year are:

Dream Theater - TBA
Andromeda - TBA
Opeth - TBA
Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt Part II
Symphony X -TBA
and possibly Tool - TBA

Man... I want release dates...

Most of all I'm looking forward to the release of our own album =D

It's been a year with many great releases and here's my top 10 for 2010.

1. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
2. Myrath - Desert Call
3. Darkwater - Where Stories End
4. James LaBrie - Static Impulse
5. Star One - Victims Of The Modern Age
6. Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
7. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way Of The ORwarriOR
8. Aeon Zen - The Face Of The Unknown
9. Dreyelands - Rooms OF Revelation
10. Triosphere - The Road Less Travelled

allright, here's my list:D

7Days: Into forever
Seventh wonder: The great escape
Pathfinder: Beyond the space, Beyond the time
Ephemeral sun: Harvest aorta
Vanden plas: The seraphic clockwork
Myrath: Desert call
Tesseract: Concealing fate
Solisia: Ordinary fate
Juvaliant: Inhuman nature

Upcoming releases 2011 list:

Dream theater
Circus maximus
Redemption
Hourglass
Theocracy
Serenity
Nightwish:devil:

Besides of TGE and defining just to progmetal...

Anthriel "The Pathway" - very melodic and with excellent production. This Finnish band is really worth to be listened. I'm glad they're under Lion Music label, the same one as Seventh Wonder is.

Myrath "Desert Call" - hailing from Tunisia, they sound very exotic however they play in similar vibe to Adagio

Caravellus "The Knowledge Machine" - after a pretty crappy debut these Brazilians have finally recorded something wicked

Aspera The Ripples" - young band from Norway, unfortunately they have to change their name due to legal issues

Mindgames "MMX" - this release has truely classic progressive rock sound

Royal Hunt "X" - as good as always, but closer to hard rock this time

Division By Zero "Independent Harmony" - hailing from Poland ad proving to be one of the best bands at the moment. There are some growlings - just to be warned.

Perihellium "The War Machines" - another Polish band, very talented guys. They mix progmetal with a little bit of Rammstein style

Hopes for 2011? New Symphony X album.

Top Five 2010:

Star One - Victims of the modern Age
Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR
Nevermore - The Obsidain Conspircy
Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned

Top Five upcoming releases for 2011:

Symphony X
Circus Maximus
Redemption
Dream Theater
Evergrey

The Worst of 2010:

I wish to all members of SW the best feelings for this new year! and of course, for all of you too, members of this great fan forum!!!
2 hours left to new year, here in Chile!!! cheers!!!

2010 albums.. I didn't really find many "great" albums...I mostly discovered bands that I've never heard of before. But here are the albums from 2010 that I really enjoyed:

Seventh Wonder, of course
James LaBrie - Static Impulse
B.o.B. - B.o.B. Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray

2011 albums:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Pagan's Mind
Between the Buried and Me

2010:

Angra - Aqua
Anthriel - The Pathway
Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens
Haken - Aquarius
Periphery - S/t

Not a huge year for me, I hope 2011 is better.

2011:

Symphony X - TBA
Circus Maximus - TBA
Wintersun - Time (if it comes out in 2011...)
Sybreed - TBA
Pagan's Mind - TBA

I also hope Karnivool releases something in 2011

Here is my list:

Pain of Salvation - Road Salt
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Vulture Industries - The Malefactor`s Bloody Register
Harry`s Gym - What Was Ours Can`t Be Yours
Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra
Spocks Beard - X
Ihsahn - After
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned

Releases im looking forward to:
Circus Maximus
Symphony X
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Pagans Mind
DT might be interesting again..

Division By Zero "Independent Harmony" - hailing from Poland ad proving to be one of the best bands at the moment. There are some growlings - just to be warned.

Perihellium "The War Machines" - another Polish band, very talented guys. They mix progmetal with a little bit of Rammstein style

wow, I love polish bands, prog and non-prog. I own DBZ last record and didn't know Perihellium..... sounds good. Love Animations, Disperse, Rootwater, Satellite, Votum, After..., Peter Pan.... of course Riverside (a little bitt overrated imho).