Your fave gigs

Phyros

Blue Jesus
Oct 16, 2001
Gothenburg
I have always wondered about your live experiences, please tell us all about that wonderfull moment, and WHAT made it that great!

I´ve got four gigs that are better than everything else, and I´ll take them one at a time. I start from the very first gig I ever went to, and the one most anticipated: Iron Maiden, 1995.

When I started listening to music, I started listening to Iron Maiden. They are my all time fave band, eventhough I find much music nowadays that could be called "better" or stuff like that, it can´t compare. When I started listening to them, Bruce was still in the band and they came here for a concert 1993, but I couldn´t go because my mom thought I was to young. I am telling you this so that you understand the tension that was building up during these years.

Anyway, the concert. It all started soooo great! We came to the place (kåren) and there was so many Maiden fans, and there where ppl singing everywhere. I felt like I was in heaven, this was the moment I had been waiting for in four years!!

I can´t tell you much about the concert as such, because I was in a constant musical orgasm (yeah, really) but it was the best and most intense concert I ever been to... But the main feeling was that I had seen them, I had seen Steve and Dave with my own two eyes! I saw Nicco doin his things behind the drumset, I saw Janick go crazy, and I saw Blaze doin everything right. I still have a problem complainig at him, because he was so darn great!
If you own Best Of The Beast, you can listen to that gig, the live version of Afraid To Shoot Strangers is recorded there.

commin upp next : Dark Tranquillity/ In Flames 1997.

-phyros

To me the most recent gigs I go to seem to be the ones that were
"the best". All the bands just overwhelm me... It's fantastic... I just love
the live experience... All the people there... The music, the smell, the
sound, the sight, the emotion... >:eek:P Yummmmm :eek:) Hehe....

But.... When I saw Opeth live at the Quartfestival.... That will always
be something REALLY special. I had listened to their "Still Life" every
day while studying for over six months, and before that listening to it
every now and again.... "Blackwater Park" is of course also a
masterpiece and all the earlier records... Bla bla >:eek:P I travelled down
alone to the south of Norway to get to see this band. Luckily I met
this guy who I also met last year at the same festival, and he was
there with a bunch of friends. Anyways, the same day I got to see
Einherjer, Zyklon, then Opeth, In Flames + Mayhem....

Seeing Opeth was heaven.... Seeing the guys perform my fav songs....
It was brilliant!! I was standing right in front of Peter and at the end of
their show I even got his plectrum ;o) The set was short since their
songs are so long, but aaaah, it was jsut amazing....
MAN! I REALLY WANT TO SEE THEM AT 2000 DECIBEL! I need it!!!! :eek:)))

ok...my greatest gig was maybe godflesh/strapping young lad/fear factory. it was in cologne 400 km from here but we took the opportunity to see that gig....i've never been a fan of godflesh (actually i didnt know them) and fear factory but strapping was the worth the travel we thought.
as we entered the semi-filled hall godflesh were already plaing. nothing special.
then godflesh were going and i tried to get into the first row. after some soundchecking the light turned of five ppl entered the stage. in the very middle of the stage devin (singer, guitarist, songwriter) began to bitch about everything you can imagine and began to play. if you know his mucis you maybe can understand how he was raging around, shouting, running and getting totally (and i mean totally) mad. i don't think he's the same person on stage. they played the extremely heavy and fast stuff. it was hypnotizing. the second guitarist (jed simon) stood only two meters in front of me and we were singing the lyrics together.
i can't remember the next two hours after the gig...i don't remember anything, i still was hypnotized...

Hmmm, there are few gigs I've seen so far, besides some festivals, there's not much metal activity around here normally...

Perhaps the most memorable was in December 2000, during the No Mercy tour, on 24th December...
Alot of beer, several too much actually, a great show and a nice chat with some band-members afterwards, but when it was time to leave the club it was maybe 5 am, and fuckin cold... to out surprise we had some comfortable sleeping place - an unheated basement.

Other than that, the Iced Earth gig nearby in February this year was awesome! 2,5 hours of great music.... enjoyable!!! Even when you stay sober... but it was a great atmosphere :)

Nice thread Phyros, I have loads of those fave gigs.

Very, very special was last year Bang Your Head festival, not only Uriah Heep played there. :)
But the best moment was the last band and their last song. Dee Snider was on stage. We had lovely weather all day, but when he was on it seems to start raining every second. He sent a kinda spell to the sky so it was nearly ok during the show, just on the last song a heavy rain started, but noone cared. All soaking wet just partied on, sang this refrain of the song over and over again. Even when the show was over, they were still singing it. 10.000 people or more kept singing it, on the camping site, at the press tent (standing on the seats) and VIP tent. This magic gave me goose bumps all over... *and still I hear them all singing, when I remember this moment*

Anyone who was there knows about this very, very special moment!!!

I can't say i've really been to a bad 'gig' but both Maiden shows I've seen ('96 and '00) were great........just the fact that they've always been one of my favorite bands made both those shows special.....

mmmmmmmm I'm a gig freak!!!!! I love them!! even from bands I don't like THAT much :)
ok I have also FOUR extra special gigs..
I'm too lazy to get the tickets and look for the exact days...but well I hope I'll explain myself!!!
apart from fests (which actually don't think can have the intensivity than tour performances)

1st special (emotional) performance prize: Is coheaded by the second time I saw Dark Tranquillity, in the haven tour Sept2000 and the first time I saw Blind Guardian....both in Barcelona (on the DT gig I have to add that they supported IF so most of the ppl like more IF than DT and I totally freaked out then....ppl thought I was on drugs....I just needed them to play :rolleyes: )

1st musical performance prize: In the meaning of jaw_wide_opening performance. You know, just that it was played with such mastery and incredibly perfection to be believed.
Dream Theater on Scenes From A Memory tour when they played the whole album in a row.....just pissed my undies!!!

1st esoterical special night prize: In a way of unexpected and due to originality... Apocalyptica in the cult tour... I expected some calm gig and actually it was one of the heaviest moments of my life...just incredible!!!!

other incredible live gigs to remember, wacken Dark T last summer, Nightwish first gig in Barcelona, last DreamT gig (2 night set with full MASTER OF PUPPETS album!!!!!!!!!!!!!) first Rage gig, second time I saw OPETH!!!! etc.....

Lamest gig ever Rhapsody last summer in the Machina Fest in Valencia.....I never ever have seen such a lame and horrible performance...if there was any mere spot of Rhapsody fan in me by then, it suddenly faded, totally!!!! Besides it was playback, Lione even didn't follow it's own playback....damn! can't explain with words how disastrous it was!!!!!!

fathervic (gigist)

I went to After Forever twice. They play gothic metal but play faster then most bands do in that genre. Specially the second time I was there was great. Good sound and guitarplaying and the singer was very good.

YMIR; I bet you've seen Within Temptation live as well?!
If you have please do share!!! This band has been my
fav goth/doom band since the first time I heard them!!!
I just (*AAAARGH*) LUUUURVE their music! :eek:)))

I have one wish --> Seeing Within Temptation live
(oh, and all the other bands I love >:eek:P)

@blackspirit: no, I've see not WT live. But maybe I will see them soon because I had to choose a concert for school!!
WT is hot in my country. You heard them all the time on the radio. Where did you see them live???:)

Originally posted by aegis

i'll see WT the 26th march :p, with the (very good) band of a friend opening ...
and the 27th, in the same venue, i'll have Moonspell and Flowing Tears :)

*GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*
TAKE ME WITH YOU, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! >:eek:P
Ah! Wish it was me! But then again.
Seeing them live now is a bit too late for me
actually... I need a timetravelling machine and
go back til after they released "The Dance" and
THEN see them live. "Mother Earth" isn't exactly
my fav album.... :eek:/

Originally posted by FatherVic
Lamest gig ever Rhapsody last summer in the Machina Fest in Valencia.....I never ever have seen such a lame and horrible performance...if there was any mere spot of Rhapsody fan in me by then, it suddenly faded, totally!!!! Besides it was playback, Lione even didn't follow it's own playback....damn! can't explain with words how disastrous it was!!!!!!

fathervic (gigist)

Thanks for let me know this... unfortunately I'm going to be on a couple of gigs of their tour, because Angel Dust touring with them. I'll make sure not to watch the Rhapsody show. I'm not a fan of them anyway...

well if you're going to attend two, at least try to see one...may be they changed....don't want you to miss a may_be_not_so_bad_gig for the words of a dumb melon!!! :)

there is a strange cruel fate when it comes to my favourite bands and live gigs....

I've never seen Opeth... :cry: never saw my beloved in the woods... on stage (now it's really late :cry: ) :cry: ..never saw Katatonia when i really loved the band even though it was close :cry:
never saw Dark tranquillity before releasing Haven :cry:

at least....i've seen Haunted 3 times... the first time September 99 is actually my favourite gig even.....had a wonderful time..and even tralala caught Anders Björlers pick :hotjump:

the other two Haunted were also great..i saw them two days in a raw..they played with Dark tranquillity!!!! you can imagine my excitement!!!:loco:Marco Aro and Stanne are definitely among the best around!!!! very energetic both :)
I only wish this asshole wasn't next to me on the second day...he was calling stanned "sissie" and other polite words...
:mad: jerk....

I also had an exciting time the first time i saw Iced Earth,that was November 1997..hadn't released so much boring stuff back then....

supercool time i had in Metallica,too..that was hmmmm ??? june 99`???
(can't recall year)

Lamest gig..Maiden,the re-union (aka $$$) bullshit,october 99... :bah: regretted the money i gave...for several reasons....